Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 EJ205(WRB), & 02 R6
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I swapped my car about a year ago and i did a WRX dash conversion.

My old dash was painted white and then back to grey without being takin out of the car so it looked like @$$.

Anyways back then i was so excited about swapping my car that i didnt really think about the airbags.

I figured WRX bags were close to the same as my 95 system.

I bought the WRX bags and controller only to realize that the WRX system is much more complicated. And never ended up installing them.

Well after a year of driving around with no airbags, I am starting to think it is a bad idea.

I daily drive the car, and if it were just me in the car most of the time it wouldn't be a big deal. But i always have my girlfriend in the car, or my sisters.

I have been thinking about selling my car and getting a safer GD (or maybe a RS), and later build another GC track car. Because i cant afford to buy a daily driver right now and not drive my GC all the time. Tucson sucks like that.

I was hoping to move to northern AZ this january and hopefully have a bike to ride to school everyday. or walk. so i wouldnt use my car as much.

What do you guys think i should do?

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Impreza RS 5MT
2,827 Posts
I would just sell it, but I'm the kind of guy that prefers GDs anyway.

·
Premium Member
99 STM RS
99 Posts
Everybody's different but I don't think airbags are anything worth messing around with, and I know i'd really regret it if someone got hurt because I didn't take care of the problem.

·
Registered
00 2.5 RS BRP Sedan
3,239 Posts
yes.

airbags are very dangerous

do not attempt to service them yourself

·
Registered
95 GC 371hp/355tq ej25 1.5xtr
4,494 Posts
I just have a sign that says sit at your own risk. Then when people ask. I say i dont want to drive everyone cause I dont have airbags and I dont have seatbelts for the rear hahah. that usually gets me out of having to do anything.
haha. saves you gas money

·
Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,918 Posts
Get in a crash with airbags. If you are wearing your seatbelt the airbag will do very little for you. I hit a concrete center barrier on a highway going 80MPH. I never contacted the airbag the seatbelt held me inplace so I didnt hit the airbag. Infact the damn thing burned me on my arms.

There is a reason it is called supplimental restrant system. Thats what it does. However if you wear your seatbelt and keep you seat where it should be I dont see a problem driving a car without them. Modern cars are much safer because of the crumple zone not the airbag.

If you really are concerned that much about safety get a GD.

·
Premium Member
95 EJ205(WRB), & 02 R6
1,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont want to get rid of my car at all.

The locking mech. in the pass side seems like it doesnt work so maybe i will just replace that and not drive as much.

·
Registered
97 GF8
777 Posts
I've been in two occasions where an airbag saved my life.
You really might want to get these fixed.

·
Banned
01 Silverthorn 2.5rs
493 Posts
Get in a crash with airbags. If you are wearing your seatbelt the airbag will do very little for you. I hit a concrete center barrier on a highway going 80MPH. I never contacted the airbag the seatbelt held me inplace so I didnt hit the airbag. Infact the damn thing burned me on my arms.

There is a reason it is called supplimental restrant system. Thats what it does. However if you wear your seatbelt and keep you seat where it should be I dont see a problem driving a car without them. Modern cars are much safer because of the crumple zone not the airbag.

If you really are concerned that much about safety get a GD.
The air bag keeps you from hyper extending your neck, like what happened to Dale Earnheart....

·
Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,918 Posts
The air bag keeps you from hyper extending your neck, like what happened to Dale Earnheart....

If that is the case it needs to come out alot farther then. The stock suby airbag only comes out 6-8 inches. I am only 6ft and keep the seat one click from vertical too. If you are firmly in place with the seat belt you wont hit the airbag. Or if you do your neck will already be very far extended and you wont hit it correctly.

Also nascar is much different than a street car. A tube chassic car has alot less crash absorption than a unibody oem car. That is why they have the HANs device. The G forces seen in a crash from a race car of any kind is normaly much higher than you will see on the street unless you are going stupid fast into another stupid fast car. In this case airbags wont help anyway.

Airbags arent these awesome devices that make you survive any crash. Hell they might kill you if you have to sit close to the wheel. There are many documented cases of this. They are supplimental. Personaly they are not that benficial if a seatbelt is worn properly. You can have what ever opinion you want its a free country.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts