Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Impreza RS 2.5
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks!

No air blows out of the front vents when using either a/c or heater.
Air blows out near the feet and windshield.
Turning the direction control knob has no effect.
I took it in to the dealership.
They said a plastic piece broke off the HVAC unit which will cost $850 to replace.
Does this sound correct?
Any way I could fix this myself?

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Impreza L Coupe
281 Posts
Does it feel as though the control knob is attached to anything? A new unit is 850 with labor? You could get a junk yard unit and do it yourself for 100 bucks I bet. - That's if you have to take that route and change the whole HVAC unit.

I say pull the knob out, make sure that it (or the shaft it sits on), isn't stripped out.

·
Registered
92 Crown Vic
629 Posts
^ i agree. go to a junkyard and get a climate head and replace it yourself. try to get the same year. but if you can remove the climate head and look behind it see if you see a broken off plastic piece.

james

·
Registered
2001 Impreza RS 2.5
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^ i agree. go to a junkyard and get a climate head and replace it yourself. try to get the same year. but if you can remove the climate head and look behind it see if you see a broken off plastic piece.

james
I'm planning on installing a new audio head unit.
While I'm at it, will I be able to see this "hvac unit"?
I guess I dont know what it is, what it does, what it looks like.
The dealership seemed to imply that it was deep under the dash... and that had me worried cause i'm a noob when it comes to these things.

·
Registered
92 Crown Vic
629 Posts
oh i thought they were talking about the controller that you see. well that might be more difficult then. different car makes (subaru, volvo, ford,...) call the same thing different things it is anyoying.
"hvac unit" can be the evaporator, a computer, or both.
and my guess is that the hvac unit i will be more to the pass side but i have never had a dash out of a subaru. i hope someone else can help more.
james

1 - 5 of 5 Posts