Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know manufacturers only have to make parts for cars for 10 years, but I'm surprised there is no aftermarket option yet.

Any of you guys know of any? Been looking for used but no luck. Only aftermarket ones I've found is for the 4 door.

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,701 Posts
Don't forget to hit up the guys parting out cars on rs25, if you haven't already:

Not sure about an aftermarket part that works for a coupe.

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
820 Posts
They appear to still exist.
Ironically I had a new & unused aftermarket passenger side coupe motor up on eBay for years. It finally sold a few months ago...

·
Registered
98RS, 98RS, 99RS, 99L
384 Posts
They appear to still exist.
Ironically I had a new & unused aftermarket passenger side coupe motor up on eBay for years. It finally sold a few months ago...
Those are sedan parts, the thread title states coupe. Sedan regulators are different. I'm not 100% sure if the motors themselves are interchangeable but the coupe window is definitely a bit heavier and more cumbersome to lift and may rise slower with a sedan motor.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
So I know manufacturers only have to make parts for cars for 10 years, but I'm surprised there is no aftermarket option yet.

Any of you guys know of any? Been looking for used but no luck. Only aftermarket ones I've found is for the 4 door.
Try and find just the motor, if you're linkage is OK then just changing the motor will do the trick. I know there are generic motors on ebay that pop up in a search for door lock motors, maybe a search will yield motors for the regulator as well. The motor may also be the same for coupe and sedan (someone would need to verify) and you would be able to buy the sedan part and just use the motor.

Just a couple of ideas

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah it's the linkage that is bad. Window still works but it's kinda clumsy when it moves up and down.

Been looking on ebay, craigslist, offup, junkyards, whole part out postings, etc for the past year.

I've found one on ebay Australia but it would cost me 500 dollars includes shipping.

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
820 Posts
Those are sedan parts, the thread title states coupe. Sedan regulators are different. I'm not 100% sure if the motors themselves are interchangeable but the coupe window is definitely a bit heavier and more cumbersome to lift and may rise slower with a sedan motor.
Oh, thanks for the correction, hadn't noticed. So, would a sedan motor work? It'd just maybe lift/lower the glass slower?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I work at Dorman. We have thousands of window regs and motors available but the 98-01 Impreza isn't in the catalog because there just aren't enough of them on the road to justify it. We do make the baja/legacy/outback window reg. Mine still work fine so I've never ordered a sample to find out.

The parts we do have are here:

Maybe the motor is interchangeable. If anyone wants to see if it fits while they have a door opened up I can ship you the parts to confirm. You should be able to pop the motor off but be careful as that spring is loaded up and it will pop open when you pull the motor off. If it works I can see if we can add it to the catalogue.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I work at Dorman. We have thousands of window regs and motors available but the 98-01 Impreza isn't in the catalog because there just aren't enough of them on the road to justify it. We do make the baja/legacy/outback window reg. Mine still work fine so I've never ordered a sample to find out.

The parts we do have are here:

Maybe the motor is interchangeable. If anyone wants to see if it fits while they have a door opened up I can ship you the parts to confirm. You should be able to pop the motor off but be careful as that spring is loaded up and it will pop open when you pull the motor off. If it works I can see if we can add it to the catalogue.
It seems there is market for it. Every post I've seen of a driver side window regulator is always picked it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts