Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought the "sneaky pete" nitrous kit from Summit Racing (the warehouse in GA, holy crap that place is like heaven on earth). It comes with a 10oz bottle :)lol:). I bought it because I know the NA EJs don't handle large shots well, but I wanted a little juice for a little fun.

The kit is a wet kit. Comes with tiny jets, biggest of which is a 30 shot. Right now I'm running stock injectors, an STi pump (turbo plans in the future, got it for free), NGK plugs (stock temp).

I pretty much understand the wiring diagram. My question is:

1) The diagram that comes with the kit is obviously for carb'd engines, so I need to know exactly where to plumb the jet into. I'm assuming behind the MAF but before the TB?

2) It is NOT throttle controlled. I'm planning on being extremely responsible with it and juicing on the track only, and very seldom at that. However, I want some advice on when to "push the red button of death." I know it should be only at WOT and above 3k rpm, but because it's so dangerous, I'd like some more advice if there is any to be given.

3) Should I get 1 step colder plugs to comp for the heat and detonation possibilities?

4) Should I get bigger injectors, etc?

(I'm assuming neither 3 nor 4 are necessary because it's such a tiny shot, but I wanted to ask in case)

5) Run 93 octane when planning on spraying?

6) How does purging work? I'm assuming that my kit doesn't require any purging, but again, I want to be sure and safe.

7) How long can I hold one shot? I know for carbs, nitrous can cause flooding if it's sprayed too long in one shot (This is assuming I don't run out, since it's only a 10oz bottle)

Any other advice AT ALL? I'm trying to make sure I'm safe and prepped for this, no matter how small the shot.

Thanks guys,

Kevin

·
Registered
93 Imperza L Ameythst
3,165 Posts
there is another thread on here, I hate to say search, but im at work and would do it for you, but there is a thread on here, which leads to a nasioc thread where a guy shows where to plump it using a cg computer model. each one has an individual shot on the intake manifold. if i find this later when i get off work ill try to search for you man. just search Nitrous and it should be one of top threads since it was very very recent as in last week. good luck.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks a ton! I searched for a while on both here and nasicock and couldn't find anything, so you're my hero now haha

·
Registered
1998, Outback, Green and Black
241 Posts
I just go a nitrous kit installed on a clients Chevy Colorado. That said do you still have any questions. I'm planing a 50 or 75 shot on my wagon. But of course that is on a built engine. So if you have any questions..

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
1) The diagram that comes with the kit is obviously for carb'd engines, so I need to know exactly where to plumb the jet into. I'm assuming behind the MAF but before the TB? 6" behind the TB if possible

2) It is NOT throttle controlled. I'm planning on being extremely responsible with it and juicing on the track only, and very seldom at that. However, I want some advice on when to "push the red button of death." I know it should be only at WOT and above 3k rpm, but because it's so dangerous, I'd like some more advice if there is any to be given.
Our engines run rich up top, so 4k is where I would personally

3) Should I get 1 step colder plugs to comp for the heat and detonation possibilities? No.

4) Should I get bigger injectors, etc? No.

(I'm assuming neither 3 nor 4 are necessary because it's such a tiny shot, but I wanted to ask in case)

5) Run 93 octane when planning on spraying?No. You want to keep the ECU in a normal operating mindset. more octane wont really help that much

6) How does purging work? I'm assuming that my kit doesn't require any purging, but again, I want to be sure and safe.
Purging is just eliminating stale n20 from the line. Dont worry about it.

7) How long can I hold one shot? I know for carbs, nitrous can cause flooding if it's sprayed too long in one shot (This is assuming I don't run out, since it's only a 10oz bottle)
A 15lb bottle lasts me 3 drag passes, or 1 minute continous. Do the math, im too lazy!

Just make sure to keep your head, as you arent using a window switch.

·
wood grain grippin'
v2 STi wagon
3,399 Posts
If you're going to be running a wet system, why not run with a microswitch? Throttle switch plus MSD RPM activated switch = :)

jakeachy, how big of a shot were you running?

a 10oz bottle is smaaaaaaaaall.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well the whole point was to start small, learn more about nitrous, and get bigger and upgrade kits after I feel comfy with my current.

Thank you jake for all that info, it helped me a ton. However, I have one more problem.

I have the stock intake box off of the TB. Would tapping that (3 inches from TB) be ok?

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
If you're going to be running a wet system, why not run with a microswitch? Throttle switch plus MSD RPM activated switch = :)

jakeachy, how big of a shot were you running?

a 10oz bottle is smaaaaaaaaall.
I had a nitrousworks bottle from my 5.0 that I put in for fun, it was a 35 shot wet :)
Super safe, no white in the header or anything.
Its like these cars were made for it!

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
well the whole point was to start small, learn more about nitrous, and get bigger and upgrade kits after I feel comfy with my current.

Thank you jake for all that info, it helped me a ton. However, I have one more problem.

I have the stock intake box off of the TB. Would tapping that (3 inches from TB) be ok?
Pay for shipping, and ill send you my home made sri that would be perfect for your setup. youd have to cut it up and put the maf in there though, but its just rubber.
Or, buy a cheapo ebay intake?
I wouldnt advise spraying it that close, but some might.

Edit: I could also maybe do a n20 faq, if theres enough interest.
n20 was one of the first shit i messed with on cars.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I think I'm selling it, I just found out I'm late paying tuition for next year and guess how much it is? 300 bucks. So I'm trying to sell this kit for 220 or so. Anyone who wants to buy it, let me know. Otherwise, I guess this thread is on it's way to being dead. :(

·
wood grain grippin'
v2 STi wagon
3,399 Posts
Yeah, but with a 10oz bottle, you'll be making a LOT of runs to the refill station if you plan on using it often enough to learn something about it. I'm not talking about the size of shot you intend on running here.

Waitasec - you have a NOS Sneaky Pete wet system? 1) SP is not a wet system, 2) it's for carbureted engines.

Questions: How were you going to get the extra fuel into the system? Spraying without compensation for fuel is asking for trouble. By injecting the NO2 into the intake after the MAF, you're begging to lean this mf'er out.

I think I know why you bought the SP system. My suggestion - get the appropriate kit. :)

NOS makes dry and wet kits for FI cars. I'd suggest a D.I. wet system. I've got a vision of how I'd rig it up to my car, but... lack of moneyz

Brett

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well a lot of nissan guys have write ups on ways to make a carb kit into a safe wet kit.

·
wood grain grippin'
v2 STi wagon
3,399 Posts
would you link me? I'm curious to know.

and curious to know why Nissan guys are buying that kit instead of a universal EFI kit. i imagine that the price is a draw... but when it comes to cars, I'm a strong believer of "you get what you pay for"

Brett

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
that's most likely true about the getting what you pay for. I have to find the link again, I was just browsing the forums. I think it was NICO.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
whoa whoa whoa.
I overlooked the whole dry shot thing.
DO NOT INSTALL THIS KIT. I can sell it on mustangforums.com for you, just please do not use this.

You want a universal efi kit. damn shame i just sold my stuff for nothing..
I swear by Nitrousworks. its made by barry grant.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts