Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

161 - 180 of 502 Posts

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,583 Posts
On the version 8+ sti the O2 sensor is in the downpipe right after the turbo. As for a wide band I put mine in the rear O2 slot of the DP since the rear O2 doesn't do anything on the 16 bit ECUs once you tune the code out. Tuners will often use a wide band in the tail pipe. At WOT the exhaust is moving so fast it s doesn't matter.

Also this:

Reminded me of the gimp from Pulp Fiction :lol:

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
Hahah does look pretty bondage-esque.

Hmm I read into that a bit and that sounds like a great idea for me, many thanks!! I will have to tune out a code anyways after confirming with Brian at Iwire. Since I used a 02-03 harness(to keep my donor together) on the 04 engine/ecu I don't have the conduit for the sensor and ecu to talk..

I had planned to have Clark etune do my mapping, but reconsidering a dyno tune through Motion Lab Tuning. Started a line of communication with them today. I have friends in Charlotte and it wouldn't be too terrible of a trek to get a quality tune. Anyone have first hand experience with em?

Heading back to the garage tonight hopefully!

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Oh also I'm close to pulling the trigger on gauges(talk about wishy washy haha) Determined I would rather know the engine is running healthy than have keyless/remote start right now. Thinking of going with the AEM 2 in 1 AFR/boost and an oil pressure on the other side.

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,583 Posts
I had a really bad experience with Clark and would never go back to him. For my e-tune on my version 8 ej207 the car wouldn't even idle on his tune it was so lean. It idled rock solid on the Factory JDM ECU map. We went back and forth but he insisted that there was something wrong with my car mechanically. After I did everything he suggested(checked for vac leaks, there was none verified by a boost leak tester) he still said it was a mechanical problem. Then He he got irritated and started telling me how I don't know anything and he has done XYZ tuning for many years so it couldn't be his tune. His customer service is very poor. After getting belittled multiple times I was done with him. So I ended up with no tune and was out $150 as he gives no refunds. Had I tried to do a pull under full boost with his tune it would have melted a piston due the mapping being extremely lean.

I took the car to a reputable tuner here in socal and the car tuned fine.

Some people have been super happy with Clark, but I say buyer beware (I'm not the only one who has gotten screwed by him)

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
Good to know, I have heard a few bad experiences here in the past few years from him. I'm excited to hear back from Motion Lab, look forward to experiencing a dyno session as well.

Got a few hours in the garage tonight. Torqued most of the rear end and eye ball aligned the drivers side rear suspension. Don't have a rotor on, but I sized up the wheel to get the alignment dial. I think I'll be fine running stock camber bolts and getting close to spec. Can't wait to get back and tackle the passenger side next, then move to the front

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #166 (Edited)
I was so close I could nearly taste it last night. Disappointed I didn't get the passenger rear done.. So I took a day off today and got back at it. Started off torquing everything on the rear then move towards the front. While laying under there I spotted a nick in the undercoating, just happened to tap my wrench on it and heard a damn loose bolt in the drivers floor pan.. Will have to fish that out later for sure, can't stand rattles, but I drive a subaru?? That makes no sense.. Put the rotors on to get a complete test mock on everything. Rear sway bar is closer to the tire than I'd hoped on the passenger side. I had to mound it on the outside of endlink - Must have bought a sti bar or something, definitely wider. I'll look at it later, may need to put one of my kartboy spacers in there. I'll probably replace it with one that fits better.

Worked my way forward on touching everything I could. After lunch I brought my extra calipers/brackets I have to look closer at the front. For some reason my front rs calipers wouldn't fit my wrx brackets. So I swapped over my good spares on the front and all is well.

Slapped the rotors on then bolted the front wheels down. Dropped her 100% on her own weight for the first time in year and a half!

Forgot how low it sits when it's not on monster jacks. Put a smile ear to ear on me for the rest of the night. Hoping to get back in there thursday to finish out brakes. Ebrakes, clean and install pads/rotors. Triple check everything and start getting a couple miles around the neighborhood. Getting super close to the maiden voyage!!

Note to self torque front strut top nuts.

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Getting very excited here!! Wishing that I didn't have a busy weekend so I could nearly polish her off. Hoping to get back in the garage tonight before everyone gets in town for a couple bdays and a friends going away shindig.

Managed a few hours last night after work. Got the e-brakes on and ready for adjustment. Going to have to loosen the inside adjuster just a bit as the drivers side drags with the hub adjustment all the way out. Have always been worried e-brakes use black magic or something, but then I saw an episode of Wheeler n Dealers that Ed slapped one together. Sh!t was a cinch! Found a great DIY on nasioc that was a good reference for photos and parts diagram as well. Hardest part was finding the loose e-brake pad with cable arm for my drivers side in the parts pile(ready to sort, sell and toss that heap once I'm back road worthy)

Out with the old in with the new new

After finishing the drivers side I had enough time to look at pads/rotors. Sure enough the brackets from the donor car had smaller tabs than the pads I have. So I pulled out my spares and slapped it on the hub.

Had to go out to the boneyard in the rain and pull the passenger side bracket off my rs crossmember. Decided to call it a night before swapping it on though.. Tonight I'm aiming to swap it on, all new pads/rotors on, lube front slide pins, and bleed the brakes. Start the engine and get it warm enough to open t stat and burp the heater core as well. I have my torque checklist going together and will do a final sweep while the engine's warming. Not sure if I'll try and drive her tonight or wait until sunday when I have more time to triple check it all.

Also forgot to torque the damn top strut nuts before putting her back on jackstands. So remember to do that damnit!

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Been leaving the shop hungrier for more time in there. At the same time looking forward to enjoying it on the road soon.

Friday I adjusted the ebrake, driver's still feels like it's dragging a bit. Finished the pads and rotors on the rear.

While I had the console out I decided to pull the seat out and see if I could find whatever was loose in the driver's floorboard. Pull the carpet and saw good ol' Franklin Roosevelt looking back at me. Managed to nab it and I'm pumped.

Crazy how things can go from nearly finalized, to... wtf??

Sunday I finished securing the ebrake cables(damn, forgot the driver's side clip, get that). Realized I ran my passenger side ebrake cable under the effin trailing arm... Didn't feel like pulling the cable or arm tonight so I left it as is for now, will correct it asap. Moved to the front and finished the pads and rotors. Dad was around so I got him to run the pedal side while I flushed and bled the brakes. Fluid needed changed for sure. Got dad to hold the pedal a bit more and torqued axles nuts.

Brakes done I moved back to the engine. Started her up, heat on high, and started warming it up. Sitting inside the cabin watching the temp gauge and insuring the heater core was working. My dad's friend looks over and says I'm leaking.. "Haha good one Mark, I'm about tired of hearing that joke." Bummer, no joke. Jump out and see a decent sized drip from the trans plug. Grabbed my rag and wrench. Before even checking the plug noticed it was coolant dripping. Shut it down and started looking for the culprit. Knew it likely was one of my heater core hoses. Chased the drip to my heater core line below the intercooler of course. No good access, finally managed to get a wrench on it. Damn thing didn't feel like it had been tightened at all! Knew there was going to be one.. Clamped it down, but not before dropping a 8mm socket down under the intake manifold. Luckily dad found it and fished it out with a magnet wand. Sarted back up, no drip for now! Finished heating the engine up. T stat opened and lower rad hose got nice and warm. Engine is sounding good, but I do hear one squeal/squeak from center of the engine(you can slightly hear it in the last rear angle exhaust vid) Heat feels/smells good. Got the engine to 204*F water temp. Fans kicked right on, pulled quickly back down to 191* and fans off. Shut down and looked over before calling a night. Noticed if I nudged the coolant line to expansion tank I would get drip. Adjusted the clamp and got it tighter, but I'll pobably run a better/new clamps.

Tomorrow I'm going to slip it in gear and test trans/speedo. I think I need to adjust the clutch. Turn on and test a/c. Torque top strut nuts. Then with some day light I'll be hopefully backing her out of the garage.

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
Closer!!

Been working on getting a few moto's sold, so missed Monday. Got back in the garage for a quick hour or so yesterday. Double checked all my fluids again. Started her up and slotted in gear, clutch out and hooray! No pops, locks, grinds or binds!!! Slapped the wheels on and dropped her back down off the stands. Torqued my top strut bolts and roll her back/forth to test brakes. Brakes/pedal feels great and e-brake is nice and solid.

When I dropped it down I got some water dribbling out of my midpipe where it needs welded back up. Completely clear and no sweet smell at all, nearly certain it just condensation/catalytic converter juicin's. Probably where the exhaust never got up to normal temps and collected quite a bit from sitting at idle warming/testing the engine.

So with everything looking good I backed her out into what sunlight was left. First thing I noticed is the power steering is feeling a little notchy. I'll look at maybe flushing the fluid again, cleaning pulley, and/or tightening the belt a bit more. Decided I felt comfortable enough to pull it a little further down the driveway. Drove to the bottom of the drive and whatdoyaknow.. My passenger e-brake deeeefinitely dragging due to the incorrect cable routing. Turned around and pulled back to the garage. Got my first taste of a little throttle climbing up the hill. Sounds amazing!! Didn't gag it, but gassed enough to spin the turbo up a little and catch the bpv in action. I can't wait to get out and stretch her legs a little more!! Was so excited to have it out and in a bit of a rush to go hang out with this chica - Forgot to snap a damn photo..

ToDo for next time;
-Reroute pass e-brake cable
-Put clip on drivers side e-brake cable
-Assess PS
-Take photo outside of garage
-Make it out on the road for the first few miles

Soccer today, so I'm already counting down the hours til Thursday's tool time.

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
Only got an hour in the garage last night and ended up leaving a little frustrated.. I decided instead of pulling the cable(from cab or hub side) I was going to pull my trailing arm and just move the ebrake cable around the arm. Worked perfect, cable is routed correctly and the extra tension seems to be gone on the passenger side. Unfortunately the tension in my chest is up, way up..

Things had be going too well(on the car and in life) so I was half expecting something to go sour. Pestimistic, realistic, whatever you want to call it. It can't rain everyday, but just the same you can't have 24/7 sunshine. When nearing completion on anything - hiccups are always tougher to swallow. I had a inkling that one of my passenger side trailing arm bolts that goes to chassis had some thrashed threads. Didn't feel good when I went to do final torque on it. Decided to leave it as is and hoped it wouldn't rear it's head later. Hope in one hand, and.. You know the saying. Fully confirmed last night when I pulled the bolt.. First couple threads were crossed up and really did a number on the chassis' threads. Pretty sure it happened when my friend and I mocked up the rear a while back. Hoping there's enough meat left on the bone to tap it out and not have to helicoil or retap to a bigger size.

My tap/die set stops at 12mm. So I'm going to search through my tools at my house to see if I have the correct size. If not.. silver lining! I get to buy more tools :D

Camping this weekend, lake party sunday night, then garage for the 4th!

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
99 Coupe
17,006 Posts
Looks like it was going together smoothly! If you need to mess with that, get a 1 1/4" hole saw and drill a hole in the floor under the rear seat, then you can cut the old nutsert off and put a regular nut on it for the bolt to grab underneath. I had to do this multiple times and thats the best way to fix it if the threads get thrashed.

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
Awesome weekend, camped out with family/friends and managed a day in the shop. We get fancy when out sleeping on the ground

Side/personal note. Picked up the moto I plan to ride cross country on next year and bought a road map to start really digging into my route/itinerary.

My rough route, if you're close enough and want a grungy guy coming through to say hello, give me a shout!

Now into the garage. Friday I ordered new trailing arm bolt and some other misc hardware. Lucked out at my local hardware store with the correct(12-1.25) tap. Last one on the shelf!

Got the rear trailing arm tapped and cleaned out. Feels good and looks like there's still meat left. I'll be nervous doing the final torque. I squirted a tear having to look at this view one more 'gain..

Sorted through how to hook up the RS cruise on the WRX setup. Going to keep it in the stock-ish location to keep out of wiring. Just need a T connector and some vac line to hook up. Tried to hack the stock brackets, but just was a bit short. I'll fab up a bracket later.. Frustrating trying to make a piece that's too short fit. Just resting in place, I'll run the cable under intake to reduce slack.

Got tired of the old hacksaw, pulled out the power rig

Gave up on mounting the cruise motor. Tightened down the belts, things had settled and they were a tad loose. Hopefully that will help with my power steering notching. Remembered to finally put on my driver's side e-brake clip. Put my interior back together and moved to the pedals. Clutch felt like it needed adjustment and had looked too low since I installed. After some fiddling the level is just right and there's little to no play. I still may bleed it sometime if I get around to it, feels much better now though. Already need to vacuum the floorboard..

When I put the add a fuse in for the rear cam my change pocket struggled to keep close. A square of velcro and all's well

Finally dropped on my battery tie down

ToDo list is really dwindling!

Parts have been selling lately! So I jumped on my gauges. Went with the AEM 2 in 1 AFR/boost and an oil pressure. Will look much better than 2 blank holes in my bezel. Now to finish up research on running my wbo2 in the rear o2 bung and tuning out the CEL. Still haven't heard back from the Motion Lab Tuning, I'll have to ring them up.

New hardware should be in soon then she'll be ready to back out of the garage again. Since I'm using the stock cruise location, fenders can go back on soon. Then lights and other smalls. Once the hood with new struts bolts down I'll get the intercooler splitter modded and rigged. Added putting the spacers on the front endlinks and may have to put a couple on the rear. Still need to test a/c as well and confirm if the powersteering is back to 100%. Hopefully can knock down a couple tomorrow night after work!

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
Finished out mounting the e-brake cable/abs wire on the passenger rear. Hardware will likely be in next week so I tested dropping it down with only 2 bolts on the pass trailing arm. Seemed fine enough so I put it down, added a spacer to the endlink(helped angle, but buy longer bolt). Peeped at the front end links - seem to be pretty square, so held off on the spacers on the front. Moved onto hanging some body panels. Fenders, lights, and grill on. Looking great! Loving the hair wider track width, looks damn good and should clear fenders(and hopefully fender liner).

All lights are fully functional, need to replace the side marker bulbs. They work, but the prongs have been busted loose. Had me fooled that they weren't working, but after a little fiddling they are back and functioning.

Gauges should be in thursday and hopefully installed this weekend. I'll tie up some other loose ends while I wait for the hardware. Then get to click a couple miles over before re-torquing. Tried to call Motion Lab Tuning and got no response. Will try again next week after the holiday's settle down.

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
Thought I had finally found a new MOMO knob last night, just got the order cancelled/refunded this morning.. Nothing worse than an online retailer with a shotty inventory system. On a high note - Big thanks to RallyTech for selling me the single drivers side 22b vent! I'm not sure if I'll like it with the MRT scoop, but I've always wanted to see how it comes together. Also ordered a set of fog covers! Going to get the exterior exactly how I've been imagining. Wanted to have it all in hand and mocked up before going through the hassle of painting some other misc bits/spots.

Also had some down time today so I reorganized my OP. I have been blessed with the opportunity to take on this challenge, but the pricetag from my spreadsheet is starting to make me cringe. Need to finished everything so I can sell the spares and start recouping what I can(which should be a fair chunk)

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
Managed a few hours after work tonight. Found a bolt at lowes that will work until my oem hardware shows up. Dropped it on and it tightened down well. Dropped my new gauges in to test fit and drool over. Turned out perfectly in my opinion! They have different shaped bezels on them. I like the flush looking one on the failsafe more so I'll pick up a spare to have them matching.

With three bolts back holding the trailing arm bracket I backed her out of the garage again. Power steering is still not smooth.. Pump spins smooth and consistent, but I'm getting shudder through the wheel. Just realized I've been putting regular power steering fluid in there instead of ATF.. Need to keep on myself to triple check everything.. I'll swap that out for fresh ATF and see if that helps anything. Think I'll also loosen and readjust my steering linkage as well. Also the rear passenger ebrake is still dragging. I'll pull that back open and inspect. Hoping I didn't damage the cable when I had it routed incorrectly. At worst I'll swap the cable for one of the spares I have. Drove it out of the driveway and down the road a bit though!! Sounds great, will sound much better once I get the midpipe welded up. Feels good to have her out soaking in some Vitamin D;

Hood on and you can barely tell the heart and soul that's been poured into her

Weekend planned to get back at it!

161 - 180 of 502 Posts