Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

141 - 160 of 498 Posts

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #142 (Edited)
Slowly but surely! Hah who am I kidding I question myself ever step of the way

Nice weather so I rode the moto to the garage. Started off by double checking last nights work.. Then started checking torque on everything in the engine bay. Once I pull the plugs and prime the engine I'll be ready to bolt the last few components down. Friend came over so I put him to work guiding the wires to lace up the turbo blanket. Went on with minor cussing and itchy arms. Looks much better than the old crusty heat shields

Nearly made up my mind - Thinking I'm going to run my rs radiator and fans. Maybe upgrade later to a koyo, but definitely want a side top hose inlet. Need to research if I can just run the wrx cap on my rs rad instead of gutting the rs.

Have a couple more parts in mind, we'll see what play cash I have in the kitty. Soccer tomorrow, but aiming to get back at it Thursday. Hardware from subaru should be in next week and I'll be able to torque down the drivetrain

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #143 (Edited)
Another night commuting to the garage on the moto. Such a great ride in, but always a nervous night ride back through the country dodging all the hooved rats.

Not much time last night, but still managed to knock another down. Sized up my RS radiator and ran my coolant lines. Somehow managed to lose/toss my top RS rad hose.. So ordered another that will hopefully be here this weekend. Not a huge fan of how far the in fender overflow tank is away, but everything looks decent. Went ahead and pulled the rad out to scrubbed some grim off

Shot's crooked, but mehhh

Going to the 600 this weekend, but plan to get back out there monday. Should hopefully have my hardware and radiator hose in by this weekend. I'll finished getting the drivetrain together and torque everything to spec. Next week sometime my rallysportdirect order should be in with my downpipe blanket and intercooler y pipe. Then if all goes well - engine finally assembled for test firing next weekend!!! :naughty:

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Didn't get as much time in the shop this weekend, but got a couple things done still. Summer is the time I make most of my two wheeler sales. After sealing a deal and delivering the bike I bolted to the garage.

Started with a box of goodies. Downpipe blanket, intercooler hoses, and hardware.

Installed my driveshaft bolts, rear trailing arm bolt, motor mount bolts, and filler neck valve nuts. Was worried I wouldn't be able to install filler neck valve nuts, but managed with a 1/4" drive. Bought a couple metric hardware sets and had the bolts for the neck's cover. Will clean and install it before the wheel goes on.

After the hardware moved over to the downpipe. Started with swapping the o2 sensor, always the easy jobs that seem snowball.. Put my wrench on and it turned right off. Almost too easy.. Looked what was on my wrench and the damn threaded bung pulled off the cat. After a quick dremel wheelin and a screw driver pry to break it loose.

Grabbed the downpipe blanket and wrapped it up. Blanket fits the invidia very well and I'm really pleased with how it turned out(was worried with the cat).

Installed and looking pretty

Quick trim for the o2 sensor

Mounted the axleback, 15mm hangers aren't going to cut it.. Not sure where I'm going to find a long hanger, but it's pressing again the bumper and leaves the piping too close to the diff/crossmember. Can figure that out later, then I move to the mid pipe.... Damn thing is ~4 inches too long! Just can't win on this one, thinking cheaping on the ebay cobb knock off is biting me now. Going to start hunting for a used cobb setup. The look is perfect though

I have the stock wrx exhaust still so toss that to the side and figure it out later. Moved back to the engine- looked over and doubled checked for a while. Don't think the wrx cap is going to work in my rs radiator, it fits, but is still a pressure cap. Cutting my rs is on the list for next shop time. Swapped on my new y-pipe and intercooler->throttle body coupler. Cleaned off the bottom of the trans since that was the only spot I hadn't scrubbed on the blasted thing. Filled the trans, engine, power steering, clutch and brake fluids. All good with no leaks.. yet!

Finally figured out this cable, pretty sure its a spare hood latch cable from the donor. After looking at it here at home. I may want to double check it's not the one from the rs!!

No test fire this weekend, but getting closer every hour I get to tool. Hoping for a couple week nights out there this week

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Ya know I thought I had the XL paranoid fab hangers. Looked at my order and it was the standard length 15mm!! Just for that lookout - you've got my order for a set, many thanks mang!

·
Vendor
'02 WRX +P
5,411 Posts
No problem man! always looking out.

let me know if there is anything you need in the future.

-Tim
Oakos Automotive

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Ordered! Hopefully they will be spot on for my setup. I'll keep you posted on anything needed in the future, thanks again.

Last thing I'll have to figure out on exhaust is how to shorten the midpipe in the garage(no welder or welding skills). Don't really want to hang my stock exhaust to drive to my exhaust shop. Then hang my 3" catback to mock up and shorten the mid/resonator pipe.. Looks like I'll have to buy the beers and invite a welder friend over

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,733 Posts

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Ooo rad, ordered. Thanks mang!! If it'll save me swapping around the pipes - I definitely wouldn't mind a bit of exhaust blow on the drive to my exhaust shop. Looks like a perfect band-aid if I can't get my buddy to bring his rig over and weld me up

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #151 (Edited)
Decent weekend. Got most of Saturday in the garage after helping my Dad with some things around his house. Started off wrenching on the intercooler after double checking fluid levels and looking for signs of drippage(none yet thankfully!). Some more looking over everything and tidying up some loose cables then the intercooler went on. Hacked the cap, filled the coolant and start preparing to prime the engine. Plugs pulled, but couldn't for the life of me get the driver side rear injector unplugged so I pulled the engine harnesses. Battery plugged up and this was a lovely site for sore eyes. Screen was good and clear, but phone's camera couldn't pick it up

Held my breath, clutch in, and turned the key.. NOTHING! Haha somewhat was expecting a fire to start in the engine bay so I'll take nothing!! Quick look over, forgot to hook the starter ground after giving everything it's last spit shine. Hooked it up and primed the 3 quick 5 second spins with some pauses in between. Turned off and unhooked battery.

All plugs/coil packs back on, harness reconnected and double checked fluid levels again(ocd habbit at this point). Mounted up the perrin intake next, damn filter/bracket was a pain. Once on, battery in, key on, and pump primed right up. Went ahead and primed it twice mehh. Hit the starter, she took her first breath. Started a little chunky then revs rose a bit. Didn't have any mid pipe on so straight off the downpipe. Shut it off and checked my CEL's. First round was 1446, 1491, and 0130. Cleared those and starter her again just to see what popped right back. 0130 and 1491 still hanging in there. Called it a night in the garage and headed home to research the codes. I know I bumped the front 02 sensor pretty well with dropping the engine in so it may have sent it over the edge. The 1491 had me scratching my head a bit. Was certain the pin was put back in the PCV connector.

Sunday I got back in garage and looked over everything. Still no drippage, but I did have to top off the coolant(still needs burping) power steering, and oil. Then crawled under to work on the catback. XL hangers worked like a charm and the axle back is sitting exactly like I was hoping for!

Hopefully the last parts I'll have to clean. Just used the last of my power purple refill jug. Some serious scrubbing went down here over the past year and a half. Going to take another year to get myself scrubbed 100% clean haha.

Moved to the midpipe(probably the wrong terminology?). After a little measuring confirmed it's just short of 4" too long. Luckily it was on the upstream end which is a section with no bends. After a little bojangling I pulled out the trusty hacksaw and knocked off a couple inches. Coupler worked a treat. I think since I still need a bit of whittling on the suspension I'll just drop it by a shop this week and get it welded off the car.

Who's got yer belly??

I'll probably file another mm or 2 off(gasket space) as my measurement was soooo accurate I was barely able to slip it in place. Midpipe will take a regular sized hanger, but should fit nicely. How I left her for the night. Planning to get back in the garage some weeknights this week. Over the moon to hear her first start since swapping and definitely put some extra wind in the sails.

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,733 Posts
Hell yeah man! Glad the clamp worked out for you. Seems you have pretty good attention to detail, definitely shows in the final project!

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
For sure, clamp couldn't have been better, and really 'preciate the props mang!! Wish I was free this weekend, but can't complain when you're heading to hang out with the family. I'm going north into WV to camp for Father's day weekend, and have a friends going away parts next weekend. Hopefully will make it out to the garage tonight and some nights next week.

Need to get down and start torquing everything, sort through brakes/e-brakes - Then I'll be nearing in on my first test drive!

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Finally got the correct bezel in and...

A damn dream come true!! Fitment in the dash is perfect, highly suggest it! Now to figure out what gauges I want to run and what type will fit best. Will definitely have a boost gauge, but I don't have a EGT in the invidia downpipe so debating what other I want to run. Suggestions?

Bolted down my diff/driveshaft covers, filed on the mid pipe a little more to flush it up and mounted it. I get a little leak from the clamp, but exhaust sounds perfect. The exact style, look, fit, and sound I was looking for. Once I do something with my headers I'll be exactly where I want this phase. It was still running rough with a really tough time idling smoothly.. Still throwing the same codes. I couldn't get the accessport to boot up the first time I started the engine so I was using my scangauge to read the codes. Decided to pull the AP back out and try again. Plugged in tight to the OBDII port and success!

Pulled it up and flashed to the stage 2. Much healthier now!! Idles like a dream and is smooth all around. The excitement is high to get her on the road now!! I cleared the codes one more 'gain and I'm now only getting the p1491. I'm a bit stumped by that one, the shorting bar is installed in the pcv connector so something is up.. I tossed the connector off the inlet after you break it off to remove inlet. May get one from a local friend. Maybe leaving it plugged it instead of just using the shorting bar will do the trick. Still reading up on it.

Ready to get back in there asap. Start torquing everything and put on my new ebrakes, pads and rotors. Still need to get the engine warm enough to open the tstat, blast the heater and do a final burping on the coolant. As well as change the rear diff oil

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,852 Posts
that sound is GREAT!

i'd say afr gauge, but oil pressure would be good too. and the aem digi ones with the white side chosen (reversable face plate to black) looks good with the white OE dash gauges.

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
'Preciate it! Really pleased with how its coming together.

AFR it will likely be.. unfortunately that means pullin the downpipe/blanket to cut holes in each :*( The aem gauges do look spot on though, thanks for the tip. Oil pressure would be nice, now where to hide it hmm. Will likely run the stock bezel until I get my gauges ready to install. Now to decide if I want to get gauges first or my alarm/remote start system. No key-less will be a PIA so I'm leaning that way

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,852 Posts
the sensor itself is 'supposed' to be about 18-35'' from the back of the turbo, so you should be just fine with putting it in while it's all in the car.

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
I been reading up on that. Lots of mixed opinions with some contradictory 'facts' online. I have the invidia divorced catted downpipe. My main concern was having it pre/post the hi flow cat in my downpipe.. I'll be riding on the road to WV shortly and will with lots of time to read over a few saved posts.

141 - 160 of 498 Posts