Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

101 - 120 of 505 Posts

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Been slayed with overtime lately.. Haven't had a spare second to fart, much less to wrench on the swap.

Last week or I whittled down what was left on the dash.

Started to swap over my wheel only to realized I should've done a bit more reading. My 04 donor steering wheel is a no go for the gm's column/airbag setup. Anyone want to trade a minty 02 momo wheel for my 04??

Garage was is total chaos from not being too well kept, so I spent the rest of the day I had cleaning. Pulled all the parts out and got them a bit more organized. Then ran the shop vac for a while getting these cleaned up. Gotta have a clean-ish garage to aid in having a clean project! Going to finish organizing the tools next chance I get in the shop.

Fortunately and unfortunately the snow base at my home ski resort is struggling with the wet n warm spell we had and they aren't going to be opening this weekend. This is the first year in probably 4-5 that we haven't shredded in Nov. Although it does give me a little window to get some work done on the swap!! I may weasel out of my deadline a bit, I said "before winter starts" so it's looking like actual winter solstice(December 21st @ 11:48 AM E.S.T) will be the drop dead, I'm done bojangling - ready to drive the damn thang, date.

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Overtime is still kicking, but finally got a weekend off! Got my tools organized and a few things done today. Heading out early tomorrow for another round

A local subaru friend traded me a 02 wrx airbag for my 04. Got the clockspring reintsalled and the wheel/trim on. Laid the carpet back out and got a better look at its fit. I'm excited on it. Once I get my replacement rear hub I'll run my e-brake lines run and carpet/seats/trim can get finalized.

I've had the 02 wrx seats for years, but I pulled the pass through latch from my donor car. Took a minute to fit it and now I have a fully functioning pass thru. No more saggy ass armrest. Used the existing latch's mounting hole, redrilled the bracket to sit about an inch higher, then massaged the lack out a bit. Couldn't be any happier! While I was at it I finished running my reverse cam line and tucked them up.

Soon I'll have these beasts bolted in for a good long while(hopefully), but interior is looking good. Really pleased with the blue carpet. Was worried it was going to be too ricey.. Still trying to decide what material I want on the door cards

And can't wait for this to be my cockpit(plus the new cluster).

Speaking of new cluster I'm shipping it out shortly to have my mileage corrected. Thought about having a dealer do it, but prefer to keep my dealer needs to an absolute minimum.. Shipping it to a fellow RS25'er

As I was closing shop, found something else I've added to the list.

Going to pop the deck off and finally get these boogers that have been mocking me for years!

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #103 (Edited)
Started out today debating if I should pull and run the e-brake line off the bad drivers hub. Not sure why I had it in my head to finish out the interior. Decided against it as I'm sure there's something else I'll need to do under the carpet before final install.

With the steering wheel installed I went ahead and tightened down the steering link. The L&E link is definitely an overpriced hack job.. Like others have posted, just sloppy craftsmanship for the price tag. I don't mind it wasn't cleaned and hosed with some rattle can paint. I do mind that isn't wasn't quite 100% fit.. Not too far off, but enough I had to file down some of the column splines to get the pinch bolt through cleanly.

Got the lift back out and scooched the engine around to start cleaning it up! Dreaded more cleaning, but stoked I get to eye that tiny td04 whilst scrubbing this time. I'm definitely looking forward to having a better garage setup next rebuild I do. I'm cramped for room and it just adds a little aggravation trying to deal with the project. Managed to get the trans and the drivers valve cover cleaned up. Dirty passenger cover mocking me in the photos.. No before photos, but it was not pretty, especially with the drivers axle boot splitting and slangin grease

While cleaning I also dropped the mounts and prepped the groupN's for install

I had a suspicion that I would need to replace the passenger side valve cover gasket, but I think I'll go ahead and do both I believe. Not trying to dig in and do HG's as well, but I would like to scratch the surface and get a few of the leaky culprits while I have the engine out. Also need to do some more reading on whether removing the banjo screens is beneficial or if I should just add checking them to my maintenance schedule. Y'all have any other easier ToDo's to seal it up and/or any preventative maintenance to do while I'm at it?

PS(to myself) - figure out wtf this is and if it's rs or wrx - EDIT - WRX fuel injector resistor, now to figure out who/what/where about it

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
After more digging I believe that resistor box is actually for the 04 head/running lights. Couldn't find a plug on my harness for it so that works out well haha.

Found and snoitched a few of the last needed bits - Figured to save time I'd pick up a nice used axle as opposed to fixing the split boot now. Will fix the other later to have a good spare on hand. Found a deeecent drivers rear hub finally, has the e-brake cable removed so that'll hopefully push me to replacing the e-brake setups. Already have new front pads and rotors so picked up a set of rears pads/rotor to give me a fresh start. Placed an order for new oem valve cover gaskets as well as shipped off my v5 cluster to get the odo reprogrammed today, should get those next week hopefully.

The mountain we board at(Snowshoe) is opening this weekend so I've officially lost the race with slope openings.. Still fighting to get it finished out by the beginning of winter, maybe I'll slap a bow on it and wait until xmas. Who knows haha I'm not stressing as I have a lot of irons in the fire and can't stop bringing home more old crusty motorcycles

Heading out to the garage tomorrow, thinking interior is on the list. Run my e-brake cables and finish the carpet and lower trim. Maybe drop my abs cables through and bolts my seats in.

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Parts are coming in, but with the holidays, weddings, buying/selling bikes, moving into our snowshoe place, etc etc not much has been done on the project.. All hope has been given up on meeting deadlines haha. I'm still determined to get her running asap though.

Good axle, damn nice rear hub, reprogrammed cluster, valve cover gaskets/orings, and new rear brake pads/rotors;

Going to try and use the homebrew bolt bushing puller tool for the couple bushings I can't quite squeeze in the press(front LCA, and rear trailing bushing on hub). The mustache bar bushings I'm thinking I'll still have to cut that metal sleeve to get it out. I've decided with the deadline missed the hell if I'll skip the hard ones now!

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
the metal sleave on the bushing is softer than the metal around it. so, what i've done int he past for very stuck ones, is to hammer a screw driver in between the two to bend the inner sleeve just enough for it to make it smaller so you can pull the screw driver out and hit it a few good times with the hammer to pop it out.

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,172 Posts
For the LCA and trailing arm I douse it in lighter fluid, drop a match, and stand back. You'll have to clean up the burns but its not really a big deal.

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Very good info! Definitely holding the 'dousing and lighting that mother' card in my back pocket as last resort.

I'm secretly hoping the rain and warm weather continues.. Our mountain had to shut the slopes down already. If they stay closed, I'll score xmas weekend to wrench. Most all essential parts are in so I could make some real headway with a couple free days..

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Well, wish came true.. Yay? The rain has killed out slopes and Snowshoe has been forced to shut down til cooler temps come back through.

I was sick as a dog over christmas weekend, but still managed to sneak into the shop for a couple easy peasy projects. Swapped in my newly reprogrammed cluster, looks exceptional in there!! Finished cleaning off the passenger valve cover in prep to replace gaskets. Was about ready to tear into it, but realized I forgot to get the half moons with my gasket order..

Been out of town on business all week, got home to the half moons waiting in the mailbox! So I'll be tearing into this beast tonight after work. Aiming to get the gasket swap done tonight to have a leg up on the 3 day weekend of wrenching(aiming is the key work...). Hoping I don't get sick or some other hiccup. I'm dying for a few solid days in the garage.

While I was out of town(Farmville, VA) I spotted this sexy unit;

It was plated, but sitting outside a garage. I was already squeezed for time and couldn't stop to shoot the sh!t with owner. It has been just short of a year without seeing a complete old stylie rs. Still made my heart skip a beat like it was the first time seeing one!

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #110 (Edited)
Slopes opened back up for the weekend.. Have to get the shred in when I can, basically feigning for it haha. Bummed I'm missing the tool time, but managed to knock a couple items off the list.

Spent new years eve wrenching on the babe. Managed to get the valve cover gaskets, half moons, spark plugs, and mounts swapped out. Once I split into the engine it was about as grimey as I expected for right under 150k miles. It has been sitting dry for a couple months and a bit of surface rust as formed mainly in the passenger head. All wiped off easily and no pitting so I'm hoping for the best. All plugs looked perfect with nothing out of the norm.

A photo of the surface rust..

Had one small hiccup that I'm hoping rtv will cover me. Got the top passenger side half moon in crooked and chipped the gasket sealing surface pulling it out. Not all the way through so I'm hoping my bead of rtv seals.

Photo of new cluster

Finished up right at midnight for some celebrating with the family and a couple friends that were over.

New year's day I managed to get an early start before hitting the road north for Snowshoe. With the engine sealed up I hoisted her to inspect the oil pan. Decided to nix pulling and resealing it since i didn't order a replacement oil pickup. Swapped in my magnetic oil plug though, shweet!

Luckily there was still someone kicking around the house to help drive the hoist while swung the trans in. Took a bit of wrestling, a few war wounds, but she's in and sitting on her own weight!! First hiccup was I kept catching my clutch slave cyl trying to get it seated. Pulled that. Still couldn't get it settled so I told my friend to go back to watching football.. Feeling defeated I stepped back and started eliminating variables. Got to my mounts and both seemed off half an inch to the outside. Wtf mate. Google search later, yup. Motor mounts on backwards haha.. Had left on left, but flipped 180. Mount should sit at angle to match cradle not pointing straight down.. Hoisted up a bit, fixed em and she settled right down in!

Put shifter and linkage together. Slapped on the trans crossmember on and called it quits for the day. Can't wait to get back at it asap.

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Winter is back and kicking at Snowshoe. Probably no more weekends in the garage for while.. Going to have to keep on myself to get out week nights!

Aiming to get out there tonight and whittle down on some other bits. Thinking tonight I'll run the e-brake cables and button up the interior. Pretty sure I need a few clips/plugs so wanting to get 1 last big order together for know missing hardware.

This duder made it in. Beefier than I thought it was going to be. Should look great with the new pedals.

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Shew with a hellofa break I'm ready to get back at this one! Winter is done so all the summer ToDo lists are back on the front burner. This coming weekend I'll be in the garage trying to figure out why and what the hell I was thinking leaving all the loose ends laying about

With the slopes closed for the season - First up was all the ped parts I bought last summer. All of my nights have been spent getting everything packed and ready. First weekend after the winter and I managed to get all the pallets wrapped stacked packed and covered. A few rainy days in the driveway and they all shipped this past friday(huge relief for me)!!

Off to the airport to be flown coast to coast! Heading to my buyer in CA

With the parts gone I actually have free time! Scratched off some chores around the house/lawn and then polished up a couple motos/peds to resell. Trying to keep some miles off the Durango so I've been driving my brothers old leggy since he scooped up his new XT. It's nice to shift some gears again, but the old girl needs some TLC as well. Just about to click over 250,000

His XT, so nice. Too pricey for my cheap ass though!

Few things have trickled in for the swap and waiting for a couple more to get in. Got a nice metal flat fuel door dressed in RBP(thanks Garret) and jegs fuel filter to add to the parts pile. Also finally found the gauge setup I've been picturing. Was thinking I'd have to make something, but with enough search you too can find whatever you little heart desires!

A little worried about the angle the gauges will sit, but was the exact style I was after so I jumped. It's a few weeks out still, but at this rate it'll definitely be here before the car is finished haha :unamused:

Stay tuned for more useless posts, and maybe an actual swap update sometime soonish

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Weather's warm enough to finally start riding to wrench. Can't beat it!

Man it feels great to get back in the garage! A quick couple things friday night

Sized up the dead pedal. Thinking it will look nice down there, may actually get new wrx covers.

Painted flat fuel door installed. Color looks great, but we'll see once it's in the sunlight.

Got up at a decent time saturday to get started. Too bad the first thing I did was tap a flickering florescent light to have the bulb drop and explode.. Hour and a half later time to start in on the last few bushings. Bastards put up just as much of a fight as I'd dreaded. Started with the mustache bar, ended up using a jigsaw to hack out the center. Then assembled the hacksaw through to cut a relief in the metal sleeve.

Merely a flesh wound

Manage to get the new bushings mostly in. Just need a plate with a hole for the top of bushing to get it centered up.

Real LCA bushing was not so easy going.. Center sleeve was a wrestle to get out. Tried to just bfh smash the outer sleeve, but only broke every tool within reach(hulk smash..). Ended up biting the end in a vice then turning the arm to rip the sleeve loose from the bushing. Once that was out I sliced a relief and hammer it out.

Second was a muuuch cleaner show

New bushings in and ALK installed

Called it quits for the day and took a soak in my dad's hot tub. The perks of not having a garage at my house and building the car at the parents place.

After the church house, started sunday's session off by cleaning up and getting a bit more organized.

My 'piling' system

Not used pile is growing!

Jesus first, safety second

Swapped over some bits from my bad to good rear drivers hub and put my list together to build a lowes special bushing puller. Will definitely be putting on new e-brakes

These looked at my wrong so I decided to go ahead and pull em

Wanting to get the interior close to final button up. After a closer look I'll definitely have to cut new holes for coupe seat belts and patch the drivers existing hole. Opening for fuel/trunk latches will need a small adjustment. Also going to pull the stock clips off my grey carpet and put them on the sti to help with the fit.

Dead pedal mounting holes drilled. Keep thinking I should fix the rust, but need to get across the finish line and out of the garage pronto.

Rigged with screws to see if its crooked.. it might be haha

Ran my e-brake cables to be ready for carpet cover

Updated my dirty ToDo list and called it a day. Going to be back next weekend, and maybe get a week night out there.

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #116 (Edited)
Thanks gents!

Only got today in the garage this weekend. Friend convinced me to ride a poker run with him and his dad. Had a great ride, my little sporty was a bit out of place in the sea of cruisers though

Got a few hours knocked down on the subaru Sunday. Pulled my tabs off the old carpet before saddling up the GS and riding back to the garage.

Old sti tabs off and rs spots marked

No good stapler, so I popped some regulars through and crimped the backs down

Tabs on

Trim and console in

Looking good

Front half of the interior finalized!

There were a few spots that will still need some tlc, but for now it's good enough. A few small spots; sedan seat belt holes, trimmed for rear passenger floor air ducts, and hole for trunk/gas levers were a bit off. My biggest issue is the passenger side the carpet didn't cover the sill completely.. I'll have to find a chunk of carpet and a thick needle to sew in some patch work

Brought home my rear hub/control arm bushing. Hoping to get all I need at lowes to make my bushing puller. Once the last couple bushings are moved I'll be ready to start assembling drive train.

Going to enjoy getting use to this view again here soon!!

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Finally got over to lowes and cobbled this unit together;

Used the new bushing to confirm receiver diameter and bolt length, hoping to test it out this weekend. Now I just need to find some plate metal with a hole be enough to allow the outrigger bushings to be centered up and I'll actually maybe possibly be done with bushings!! Finally..

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
i had the bugeye wrx carpet in mine. bugged me EVERY time i got in the car because it didn't line up under the door sill plastics like it should. even with supes duper staple gun action. i eventually went brand new OE RS. fit and finish couldn't better.

·
Registered
99 BDP RS
1,719 Posts
i had the bugeye wrx carpet in mine. bugged me EVERY time i got in the car because it didn't line up under the door sill plastics like it should. even with supes duper staple gun action. i eventually went brand new OE RS. fit and finish couldn't better.
It's definitely starting to bug me. I just want a brand new black RS carpet but there's no certainty for one.

101 - 120 of 505 Posts