Thanks dudes. I'm very excited to make the shift into 6 speed world (pun not intended). Just like with the first swap, goal is to get everything changed over then small repairs/tweaks will be made. Just need to find the time, damn thing is still sitting on the trailer waiting to be unloaded. I have decided I'll be pulling it all apart and swapping over to poly bushings. Going to start figuring out how I want to put it all together.
Not 100% sure why I was so set on 2004 setup. I would like to say it was from research, staying 5x100, the 04's gearing/front diff - but i think it's just fan boy for me. The blob eye sti is what I fell in love with year ago and I've always wanted to have a piece of it in the GM.
Going to pull one of the bbs off the car and test fit over brembo's this week. I have talked with someone with same spec rg345's(17x7 +48) who confirmed they fit on his, but have heard some that say they don't as well
Nothing much to note, haven't been driving much, but still tinker here and there when I can. Been working like a dog lately on the Walgreens contract. Finally caught a break in the shit storm and I've been focused on the little shredpeds to get a few flipped for some walking around money.
The only move I've made on the 6 speed swap is unloading from the trailer.. With the wedding being rescheduled to this year that's set back a lot of our budgets and scheming. So I'm now leaning towards just getting the swap done. No blowing it apart for all new bushings and tid bits like I did on the GD drivetrain swap. Sweet and simple, then enjoy is my thinking. Freshen up what I can and get the damn thing done, but still done right. At most do all the maintenance and small upgrades that are pie while it's out on the shop floor. Will still be a while.. My durango is on it's last leg and I can't afford to have the subaru off the road for long.
I had some funky sounds at idle/low speeds and of course my brain always processes worst case scenario. Turn out it was just idler pulley. Quick swap with a new gates pulley and all is well! Just clicked over 225k on the odometer and look forward to the next quarter million miles!! Now for a photo dump update.
Decided one night to pull the cruise/fog light switches apart to see how they work and see what bulbs I needed to replace. Bought bulbs and have yet to replace, maybe I'll pull the switches again to knock that out this week.
Finally got fed up with wondering if the whine I have from the rear was due to diff or just the lockdowns/braces/poly bushing's NVH. Grabbed my tools/spare diff and headed back to the garage I did the swap. Dad's had the floors epoxied and this was the first project to touch them. I quickly learned I was rusty with my tool skills and the scoob's bits have seen some rust and crust in the past 5 years on the salty winter roads. First I hammered on the axle nut for a few too many seconds before realizing the impact was on tighten, oops haha. Got to the strut bolts and bastards wouldn't budge. Afraid of fubari'ng the nut I decided the whine wasn't so bad and I could stand it for another few months until I pull the trigger on the 6 swap. I did massage the backing plate a bit since it had been rubbing the rotor.
Haven't decided where I'll put this little guy
Picked up another set of these cause they are $100 and I was partial to the look and light output. Still waiting for me to get off my ass to put them in. I really wish I would have written down how I wired them up to work properly.. Maybe I snapped a photo??
Not going to Snowshoe this season has been weird. The really only snow/ice photos have all been of her sitting safe in the driveway
Was working too damn much, which really sucks when working remote. Easily went a full week without getting out of the house during the day. My fiance got strict on my one day and forced me to knock the snow off and get some time away from the computer. It was much needed.
Tires on the RG345's are spent. I could have gotten a few more thousand miles out of them if I would have rotated like I should have. Knew there was some secondary rubber showing on my front drivers. When I pulled to swap over the winter wheels for state inspection found a bit of band showing through on the inside lip.. I debated throwing them on the rear and getting a bit more out, but i'm leaning away from that after looking at them again last week. Oooof, just double checked and I bought these 2 years ago and only have clocked 13k on them... damn I thought they'd at least last until 15k. Passenger front was worned, but not as badly. Looking back when I got my last alignment and I was surprised I had that much more wear on drivers side. I have been hearing a slight click/creak from drivers front. I think I remember reading the whiteline tie rod end can "walk" around a bit. Going to double check their tourqe and look for signs of shifting. I'll probably get another set of the michelins since I loved the dry and wet ride. I'll just try to do less straight line driving this time around!
Once I swap the sti drivetrain I'll get to look around for a new set of winter wheels that will fit the brembos 😈
Thanks bue car... I read through the entire build diary before posting. The only detail I caught is they shipped from a seller in Russia... However, after seeing this I doubled down on my search efforts and found a vendor, in Russia, who sells these wheels fully reconditioned for $1100 USD + shipping. That's about the same price they go for on Ebay in poor condition, so I might just pull the trigger on a set!