Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

281 - 300 of 501 Posts

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #282
In the works with AEM to get matching bezels! Got the AFR/boost gauge hooked up and working. I haven't wired up the failsafe wiring yet, for now a working gauge will do

Pulled the grommet from the firewall again to run the wbo2 wiring. Decided it would be smart of me to run the oil pressure gauges wiring while I was at it. Ran everything in. Unplugged my rear o2 and replaced with my wbo2. My tuner has the rear o2 CEL defeated so still cel free! WB had a nice plug/mount that fit well in an open hole on trans. With the wb run I temporarily tied up all my oil gauge wiring and moved to the interior. Swapped my dimmer wire to the good known wire off my headunit and buttoned up the interior. Configured my gauge to show boost on the screen went to play a bit.

Place was a wreck when I got back to it

Also cleaned up the gps antenna and wiring

Ran my logs, but thinking I'll do another WOT test before sending them off. I had some funky boost fluctuation and I'd like take another round of logs to make sure it wasn't a fluke. I was able to pull logs from the AP and the AEM gauge. Nice being able to save this stuff and look it over(even if I'm lost half the time haha) Gauge came with software I can interlace logs on a video as well, may have to look at that later.

Always dreamed of being some weird tuner dude that worked on his laptop in his car. Now we here

Too bad I'm just downloading logs..

Photo is out of focus, phone cam must be about done.. been taking really harsh photos lately. BUT the gauge is a lot less ricer than I expected, very happy with how it looks.

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #284
Front fender liners in! Slowly clicking a couple of the things off the list.

(Need to get a couple smaller jack stands for the driveway.. My small jack isn't tall enough to get my big stands under the car.)

Looky look! Love it when I stick to my plan. Thought I was going to have to scrounge for the missing hardware. Then found I kept the screws in the mounting holes. Yesss

Lowes screw in type fasteners fit well, going to watch them to see if any vibrate out. Need to get a couple more to finish the drivers side, but they liners are in and holding for now. Test drive in this morning was a soggy nearly flash flood commute. Comfortable/Anxiety level driving in the heavy wash now is a bit better with liners.

Also noticed my tires come from France!

May be applying for a Subie-head fanboy club membership this winter. Pretty sure I'll be running some flaps to keep the road cinders off what paint is still hanging on my quarters and fender edge. Guess I should get a vap pen as well to complete the package?

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #285
No real updates on anything, but I did get to take the longest drive since the swap. Work sent me down to BFE(Eden, NC) for a drop off and I finally got to swing the subie down Rt8!! There's no good way to get from Radford to Eden so it's all back roads with some heavy turns and hills. Was a good test to see how she'll hold up on the long hauls to Snowshoe WV. The RS did great and didn't miss a beat there or back. I was a nervous nancy, but she clicked right along for me!

Nomnomnom

Before departure I did an initial check up. Oil was a little low and looking pretty used up. Meant to switch out the first oil change since swap sooner than this, but it'll get a fresh change next week. Still haven't decided if I'll stick with Red Line though

Glad I got my fender liners back in before hauling out into the muddy landfill to pick up the pond samples. Now I just need to finish the oil pressure gauge and this view will be nearly complete

Got it on the scales finally! She came in right around what I figured, 2,960lbs. Half a tank of gas, wet, muddy, and some junk in the trunk. So probably ~2,900 bare.

The diet begins and I'll be back to reweigh once I slim her down a bit. I've had 2,800lbs or less stuck in my head for years now, not sure why. I know I can cut some weight if I remove the airbag setups from the front wrx seats. Other than that though I'll have to do some head scratching on what I can trim.

Got home a minute early from the road and started to do a couple small things, but the rain moved in.. Here's a shot of where I mounted my gps antenna and cleaned up wiring. You can just see the oil pressure wiring looped behind the intercooler. Must install damn gauge!!

Home and feeling fine

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #287
Yeah these are Ortiz's setup, bought mine straight from his site. I was holding off until I finalized the gauges to get my complete review on the bezel. You are correct though - angle is slightly pigeon toed out. Doesn't affect reading the gauges, but I do get the occasional glare off the plastic lenses though. I'm also getting some paint cracking around the pod->bezel contact spots. Not sure if it was from messing with the gauges or the expansion/contraction that caused it.. Still much better than I would be able to make that's for sure! There's really limited room in those areas in the old gen impreza's, I'm still stoked I was able to find the setup I was after. More stoked that I was able to thread all the wiring, vac line, and wbo2 mess through the tight channel.

Tuning is back underway and the car is feeling better and better!! I'm on my 3rd map from Stephen and the engine is really waking up now. Power is much smother and boost fluctuation is barely noticeable. I didn't wire up my tach wire on the failsafe gauge so he couldn't really use any of those logs. Noob move to not think about needing to know the afr in relation to rpm.. Didn't feel like doing any wiring and wanted to get another round of data to him before the weekend. So I took the shortcut and just recorded a vid. Switched the failsafe to read afr on the digital screen, grabbed the trusty gopro and recorded a shaky ass vid! 2.5k ease into WOT to 5.5k with boost peaking ~19psi.

Free time has been busy with snowboard season opening and still working through planning the cross country attempt. A little miffed at myself for not digging in deeper as I move forward with tuning. I'd really like to start reading others tuning stories/info to attempt to get a better understanding logs, info, smells, butt dyno feels, etc.. I've met a few people that hang around a local college car club that have a wealth of knowledge. Aiming to spare some free time to ride out, check out their setups, and mooch a little tuning knowledge from them

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,852 Posts
the airbags in the seats help to hold the shape of the seat. if you remove them, they get all floppy. (regurgitating what keener(iwire) told me ten years ago. never tried it)

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #289 (Edited)
Thought about that as well brian. I have tons of foam and other stuffing around I had plan to refill the void. I found this thread though(DIY seat airbag), and I didn't realize how tiny the bag really are.. :( Probably only will net me a couple lbs between the 2. Weight loss is still on my mind though! I'm thinking I'll pull all the spare crap out, wash the clumps of mud off and go for a reweigh soon. Then with a more accurate weight I'll start making a list/game plan.

Stephen sent me my version D(fourth map) over the weekend. Can't believe it, the dude must never sleep! Since starting back into tuning, he has always been day of or day after me sending logs to have a tweaked map back in my e-mail. Been a pleasure working with him. This map he has me running the WOT log up to 6.5k. Car feels great, pulled boost back to ~17psi peak and it seems to like that more than friggin gasket straining 19psi. 19 was just a smidge too much for me as a daily, 17psi is still stout and the engine seems happier with it.

Picked up this girl last night I just started dating. Figured if she's going to be hanging around I had to see if she could put up with my greasy grips, obnoxious exhaust notes, and neck breaking speeds(haha yeahright it's just a four cylinder). Got my driving and WOT log ran. Then parked down by the river to hung out for a while. Had a great time, but when I got home I realized I had my gopro in photo instead of video mode. :unamused: I'll pull the logs again today and then per Stephen's instructions - I'll drive a few days then run another set of logs with the same versionD map.

Praying for decent weather this week, buying/selling a couple moto's and I'd like to tool on the subaru's todo list as well

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #291
Still driving her pretty much daily. Busy with the holidays so no spare tool time though

Took my lunch break today to finally run my logs on the Version D map from my tuner. Ran them and it felt great. Looked down and my gopro was in photo mode again, damn thing was set to default time photo from filming the swap. Changed it to video and ran the log quick. 3rd gear to 6.5k puts me at like 90 on the speedo.. not the easiest to find a spot to do these pulls with the holiday buzz. Got the log and will pull the next log after driving and letting the ecu learn for a couple days.

Went home and looked over everything. She's doing better than I could hope for. I definitely need to give it another round of hardware torquing and swap fresh fluids in soon. Also need to look closer at turbo for a small leak. Noticed a spot of crud on the top of the cross member that looked new.

Reluctant to type this, but I need to get it out and just add it the list. While examining the engine I noticed a small amount of dark buildup in the neck of the coolant overflow reservoir.. I'm not ruling out HG's as the engine has just short of 160k, but I will be double checking the easy bits first. Will flush coolant and hope it was just crud from the parts sitting dry in the garage for so long. Next change oil and send sample off for analysis. Then likely will get a leak down and compression test sometime as I've never run them on this engine.

Have tomorrow off and if I can get through the last bit of shopping I may get time to tinker on one of the projects! Merry Christmas ya filthy animals

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #293
Got a couple days driving on the version D map so ran the second round of logs on it and sent back to my tuner.

Bummed I think my external mic i got for my gopro is finally kicked the bucket(hence the terrible sound on all those wot pull videos)..

·
Registered
2001 BRP 5spd RS Coupe
75 Posts
I love xmas break because I can read through build threads. I am impressed by your attention to detail. Impressive thread, impressive build. Good work!

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #296
Many thanks for the compliments! Hopefully yours is coming down the final straight. Trust me it'll be worth the wait/efforts!!

Finally a new coworker parked her car in the right spot for a lunch hour photo! RS vs RS

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #299
No more headlampin the engine bay for this kid! My brother got me this for xmas and just handed over last night. Eastwood nailed it on this one in my opinion. Thing is ridiculously bright and mount/pivots are spot on.

Maybe it will help motivate me to get some of the thing knocked down on my cross country motorcycle project so I can get back to the scoobie ToDo list.

Some other rando photos from ig

Typical 'thirsty' photo. Been loving putting miles on this thing. Signed up for a 3d printing at a local community college. Mainly signed up to get into the state student funding system so I can take free Autodesk certification tests. Figured might as well take a class I'll enjoy. Been fun driving the RS further than my usually 1.5 mile commute. Hard to stay out of the boost though!!

*OFFTOPIC* My first 3d printed goodies from last night. A class project keychain with my initials. Also a small personal project - a harmonica trainer. Just a small gizmo to aid in learning the harmonica. I've never had the want or will to learned a musical instrument. Singing a different tune(yuk yuk yuk) after talking with my family about my great grandpa Ott. He was a great blues harp(hamonica) player and would call everyone on their b-day to play they happy birthday song on his harp. It's a small gesture, but I'm aiming to carry it on! Hopefully this little doodad will help me learn, 'cause I'm strugglin so far.. at least that's what my audience has told me haha

Back on topic - Subie-cicles;

281 - 300 of 501 Posts