Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

181 - 200 of 498 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 Subaru Impreza L coupe
768 Posts
Estelle - 99 2.5RS _ Another swap story

I'd guess T5 bulbs, or at least 'cool white' T8's. Maybe LED tubes, but they aren't too common yet.

Also, great progress! You're getting really close.

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #183 (Edited)
I'm still nervous nancy driving it, but she's running well and riding better. I've put a few miles on it and things seem to be settling in. Probably only 5-10 miles, going to take it for one more loop and I'll put it up to check torque on everything again. Hmm not sure on lighting. Nothing too special, lights have been there since they built the house years ago(photo). I did hang a shop light on the side that really helped light up the drivers side(photo).

Started off by flushing the powersteering. Rigged up a little hose, plugged the return line on the reservoir. Got Dad to run the key side, started it, flushed clean and topped off. Didn't turn the wheel as the pump running cycled plenty of fluid to flush it out. Still had the shudder however, so I picked it up to test with the weight off the wheels. No shudder, everything is smooth as butter. If I held resistance on the wheel while dad turned the steering wheel I could recreate the shudder. After looking/feeling around, it definitely feels like it coming from the hubs. Both side do as well.. Going to look closer at it and do some studying.

Moved to the passenger rear brake. Inside/Cabin adjustment is as loose as I can without the locking nut falling off('preciate the lookout though Brian!).. After pulling it apart for another inspection I noticed the dust shield rubbing the rotor, mainly on the lip that seals the ebrake. A little massaging on it's much better, still need to look at it once more as it rubs just a hair on left hand turns.

After taking it's first run down to the end of the street, I noticed either my steering is off or I put the steering wheel on a couple splines off. I'm guessing the latter, I didn't have the hubs or fenders on when I put the steering wheel on, but we'll see. Looked to shift the wheel, but only had my tamper torx bit with the hole it in. Damn thing stripped off attempting to loosen the airbag.. Haha Hoping I didn't round out the bolt. Left it alone and figured she could use a wash.

After looking it over, I noticed when I put my passenger fender I got some fender to fender support contact and it's made a little dent(goes with the rest of her beauty marks nicely). I'll definitely pull the fender and shave the corner down to clear though.

Brought out the good cam and snapped a couple. Can't keep my eyes off her!!

Went to the end of the street looking for some sunlight. Snapped a couple and one of the neighbors/old friends made me pull up in his yard and snap a photo. He also made me get out on the other end of the lens haha. Luckily he only half depressed my shutter button. He convinced me to go full on and pull the one knee down by the front wheel pose. Fortunately/unfortunately he only focused my cannon and didn't drop the shutter on any of them. now I'm going to have to recreate the photo to have that memory set hahah.

After driving for a few miles I figured I'd take it's first over 50% throttle pull. The first taste of what I've been working so hard for. Had the cobb ap hooked up and set to see what the boost was running. Still a little worried running the ots stage 2 with my perrin intake. Pulled great and feels very strong. A nice easy second gear wot, AP says its running 16.22 psi.

Will be bringing it back to my house this week. Then get the midpipe welded up, inspection on it, and get it on a rack for alignment. It desperately needs an alignment. I talked with Motion Lab tuning and I think I will go with them for my tune. Hopefully will get that on the calendar by next month sometime.

Side note I finished my edit finally and have stitched together my overall time lapse rebuild video. Not the shortest vid coming in at around 8 minutes, but it's a fun watch for me. I'll make a wham bam thank you mam version for the tiny attention span interneters. Have a feeling it will go viral and I'll end up a millionaire

Full Length Vid;
https://youtu.be/v1G4TJcxemk

·
Premium Member
2001 Subaru Impreza L coupe
768 Posts
I second the gold BBS idea.

Sweet time lapse video. If I tried to make one, most of the video would be me walking around trying to find tools or bolts I lost. :lol:

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
'Preciate it!! Still debating the bbs' going gold as well. After having gold for all these years, I really like how clean the silver goes on the blue. So they'll likely stay silver for a little longer. Now it's nearing completion I need to stop spending on it.. I have decided though, I'll start selling the left overs and saving my pennies to scoop a set of RS-zeros ASAP. Seeing them on equinox's rs has pretty much sealed the deal for me.

Forgot to note that I tuned my a/c on for the first time since the swap. Was ice cold(reminds me I need to recharge my Durango's system), but I think my hunch was right. I was thinking I had a small seep at the accumulator, and after running the a/c I'm nearly certain I've tweaked one of the connections when man handling everything to get the heater core out. Should be just an o-ring or possibly just need re-tweaked and snugged down.

Side note I ordered a perrin pre filter bag, I've always worried about the rain/dirt getting through the MRT scoop and soaking. Not worried about hydro locking, more worried about debris and grime getting through with the foam filter.

Going to head back to the garage tonight and pull my mid pipe. If I can get it welded that'll be one less spot I have to leave the car sitting. Wish I could take a day off and run all the errands I need for the old girl. No worries though, I'll pencil them into my busy schedule and get it all sorted. As I've been saying for over a year, I'm closer! Plan of attack tonight is another quick ~10mile drive around. Then onto the stands for another full round of torquing everything. Pull the midpipe, install my spacers in the front endlinks. Swap my diff fluid and if there's time start looking at mounting my wrx air splitter.

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,852 Posts
the wrx splitter on the GC hood fits....sorta. you have to kinda make it fit. the bolts holes don't line up with the GC holes as the hoods are waaay different. i had to use some small self tapping screws and line the big air opening up under the scoop.

i also had to forgo the rubber from the splitter to the IC as it just squished and made it fall off. maaaaay be a little diffent on yours since it's not a ghetto turbo kit (in reference to the rubber seal)

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
Was curious about the gasket. There's this DIY I've been eyeing, I hoping to make it fit/function without that much effort. Will keep you posted if the gasket stays, have already planned to hit with the shears before giving up and pulling it off.

I'd really like to get/make a bit taller scoop with the stock style still. Have seen a couple and its a nice median from stock to the awful gd sti scoop style. I do like the s201 scoop on your wagon brian, but not as much when I see them on coupes.

Didn't make it to the garage last night.. Can't wait til she's in my driveway again. Sucks it'll be back in the elements, but at least I'll be able to push her buttons again on the weeknights :naughty:

·
Registered
Bluebird
691 Posts
^I also used the self tapper method with the wrx splitter. I'm running a plastic FXT tmic, so I left the rubber on in attempt to create a better seal.

At least the hard part is over, now you're just doing little nit-picky things! Nice work.

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,852 Posts
well damnit..now that i think about it, i now have the same plastic wrx/fxt IC and never tried putting the rubber seal back on. when i tried it on there last, it was with the metal bugeye IC.

yeah, the s201 scoop isn't for everyone. i think the cobo of the prodrive scoop and the 22b vent make it live-able. i didnt' like it much with the stock vents in there.

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
My hardheadedness got me again.. My regular shop doesn't so stainless so I reluctantly dropped it at an exhaust shop I use to deal with. Long story why I don't give them business anymore. Boils down to some shady practices and did a friend who previously was an employee wrong. Owner said cool and could weld it that afternoon. Called back after work to check before driving by. No go, would be first thing tomorrow. That's ok with me as that way my garage night. 2 days later of the run arounds I go pickup the untouched pipe. Now instead of just gritting and bearing the wait - I have a lovely mid pipe that still needs welded sitting in my floor haha.. Hopefully will have time soon to drop it with a new guy my mechanic suggested.

22b vent order slipped through rallytech's shipping. All good now though, he got it shipped now and added express shipping on it

Next few weekends are booked, but once the mid pipe is welded I'll bring her back to my house. Then my driveway will be a parking lot again!! I just want to drive..

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
Nothing too fancy, but decent work at a decent price!

A rare beach trip this weekend for me. Hopefully if all's well, she'll get inspected and brought home next week!

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
Thanks trev

Finally got back into the garage last night - slapped the pipe on, did another round of torquing on the drivetrain and drove her home! Inspection is out so I was creepin through the dark woods dodging any coppa's. Sorry for the terrible photos..

Made it to my Pure station and topped off the tank. I need to double check my hose routing and all. For some reason it didn't like to fill up in 1 squeeze of the pump handle. Didn't act up too much, but kicked off at ~10 gal and took a couple more squeezes to finish out the tank.

Checking fluids again

Typical thirsty photo;

Feels good to have the stable full again!

I got a ticket years ago for bad inspection after I had just got her on the road after being down with a bad wheel bearing - So I'm nervous driving around with one that's out of date. Got up early this morning to try and make it to work w/o anyone seeing the old sticker. Of course a city cop pulls up behind me at the first stop light! Haha.. No worries, plates and all are good and the rear window was still covered in dew so he couldn't peep through. First half day commuting with her. Driving the ej205 in, brings back memories of commuting in my last bugeye expect I feel like it's had liposuction being in the coupe.

Couple things I noticed; passenger's rear brake dust shield still rubs a bit, driver's side door lock isn't working(switch works pass. lock, and drivers window works, chase it down!), catback will swing and knock on the diff carrier a bit, shudder in the steering seems non existent now, and the overall ride feels fantastic!!!!! Definitely stiff and some NVH, but the grin on my face couldn't possibly be any bigger :D

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
Hahah half way through this swap I was thinking of my next swap project(brat). Now that I'm nearly finished - I'll be taking a little while off from heavy projects! If I had my own garage it would be one thing to have a back burner project, maybe in the next few years

She legal!!

Passed inspection, but not without making me sweat a bit. I was chatting with the young guy doing it, asked if I had to have two cats in the dp like stock or if one would cut it. Said I'd be good to go. Then the old duder came by and start poking around, "I don't see any cat on this, pop the hood" Damn near every wrencher was gathered around by the time I had convinced him there was a cat in the downpipe under the dp blanket. Finally with photos of the pipe off the car(luckily i photo everything..) he broke and gave it the nod.

Need to look at the damn dust shield on the pass rear rotor again, still getting some contact on left turns. Alignment this week hopefully then get to start into the old familiar mountain roads :devil:

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
Definitely a fantastic feeling! Still a few things to massage out, but finally got the monkey off my back(having it sit in the parents garage).

Yesterday I solved my drivers door lock problem. Knew it had to be something on the simple side, but was certain my switches hadn't been unplugged or anything. Did a little research and came back with an answer. Found this post. I had removed my keyless system and needed to jump the pins on it's plug. A string of wire and some tape and the driver's door lock is fully functional! My clutch pedal has developed a squeak though and didn't get a chance to glance at it before the rain moved it. So I closed the door and messed with the headunit for a while. Nav, bluetooth, and hands free tele are all fully functional. I'll have to test the mic on the hands free to see if road noise will be an issue.

After driving some more the alignment actually seems closer than I had first assumed, but I'm pretty sure I got my steering wheel one or two splines off counterclockwise. Also I confirmed that I stripped the torx screw on the air bag with my taper proof bit sheered off in it.. Once I get that pulled I'll turn the steering straightened out. Time is running out this week so I'm going to schedule a time to get it aligned and hopefully the drivers side seat belt replaced at my local dealer.

Road home with dad last night to pickup my Durango from their place. Loaded up some of the spares I had there. Still need to organize and separate my tools from his, grab the last of the spares inside garage, then hook up the trailer and pull home my RS crossmembers. Who needs parts?!?

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
That fantastic feeling is fleeting! Hahah(maniacal possibly going insane laughter)..

Decided to drive my durango into work yesterday and it must have hurt her feelings. My brother and I were heading to our Rec center last night. He hadn't ridden in it yet so I insisted we'd take it. Glad we did! He got and half way to the rec center he said the carpet was wet. Parked and took a closer look, damn passenger floorboard was nearly a puddle! Fully soaked.. Felt around a bit and determined it's coming it from the vicinity of the blower box.

A week of rain in the forecast and heading out of town this weekend. So no choice but to take her back to the parents garage until I could look at it. Toweled up all I could and put my dehumidifier inside the car for the night. Heading back out tonight to pull the seat/carpet and hopefully determine where the rain water is getting it.

It's definitely fresh rain water, and I'm thinking it's from/through(?) the blower box. Found this thread and 2slo's description sounds like my issue. I'll know more tonight hopefully

181 - 200 of 498 Posts