Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I recently bought a 2003 RS auto, mainly because of the handling. (Didn't have the cash for a WRX) It's sites like this (well, to be honest, this site, as it seems to be the most informative) that I got the thing, since I was very unhappy with the initial amount of acceleration that I got. I'm used to my old Grand Prix coupe, and that thing would push you back in your seat when you floored it. Point is, I figured that I could get the power I wanted on top of the handling I loved through the aftermarket modding. Problem being, that I'm better at identifying and fixing parts on people than I am at parts on cars. (I'm an ex-EMT. And frankly, if a person breaks down on the side of the road, there's a much better chance that I'm going to have to take it "back to the shop" rather than getting it up and running right there.) So I've browsed what seemed like every relevant thread on this forum, and I've still got a few questions. So, I'd appreciate it if y'all would indulge a poor newbie.

The Ganz CAI seems to be the best bet for immediate horsepower. Would wrapping the thing in insulating tape provide an even bigger improvement? Also, where does the intake go, exactly? Are there going to be any water/snow inhalation issues?

I'd love to redo the pulley system, since that seems like another big gain to hp, but are there any warranty issues there? How about general durability? And while Alabama high school football and Ft. Leonard Wood have greatly increased my heat tolerance, how much of a hit am I going to take in the A/C department. I can deal with an underpowered airconditioner in trade for an overpowered car, I'd just rather not do away with it altogether.

Exactly what is a header? And should I even be thinking about eventually installing it myself if I can only make an educated guess about where it is on the car? (It's the part that little kids draw, right?)

Probably looking at eventually reworking the exhaust, adding a high-performance air-filter as well. Any other suggestions as far as low end power?

And just one more, anybody have any clue what it takes cashwise to remove the rear spoiler without leaving any lasting "scars". I figure you just have to wrangle a replacement non-spoiler trunk out of the Subaru co. but I was curious if anyone had done it. Or maybe I'm just alone in my dislike of spoilers.

Thanks in advance.

Btw, I love the smilies. I'm going to have use this one, just because I can.

:stinky:

·
Registered
01 BRP RS
131 Posts
if you don't know where the header is Don't even think about doing it yourself. cat back you could probably do, Ganzflow is easy, pullies you may want to take to the shop. if you don't want to lose air conditioning, then get a pulley that is not underdriven and just get the main pulley. that is where most of your weight savings is coming from anyways. that should get your addiction started.:sunny:

·
Registered
09 Legacy spec.B + 01 2.5RS
476 Posts
Well, let me first point out that i'm not an expert by any means, but i'll pass on my responses to your questions as I can:

First i'd like to say I don't know about you, but my RS still pushes me back in the seat extremely hard when I start running. It's in the higher ends where we lose our power. Be careful revving up too high, that's where you don't have any. In the 2000-4000 range, you should have more than you know what to do with.

CAI and Exhausts will give you a bit more power, you might notice it, but quite frankly I think people just want to notice it. The only thing i'd say you're likely to see is a bit of increased pull up in the 4500+rpm range, making up a bit on that range where the RS seems weak.

Pullies, IMO, are the biggest scam around. Trying to save a bit of lost power by lightening and reducing the mass of the pully system isn't all that great of an idea, and here is my logic behind it:

First off, the weight scenario on them isn't saving you much, unless you're going through a huge weight reduction modification path, the car is already weighing in around 3100lbs. You're not going to notice 5lbs of difference, and you'd be lucky go get 5lbs out of it

Second, you're lowering the given power to all your other parts being driven by the pullies. It'll put a higher strain on them when they need the power they've lost to operate.

Third, we're talking rotational parts. Lowering the mass lowers the rotational force. Think of a flywheel, if you lower the mass too much, it works against you, you're losing the momentum that you get from a higher mass rotational part.

Ok, off of the pullies now. A header, is a replacement for the stock exhaust manifold. Instead of the restrictive manifold, you get a larger exhaust exit from the engine, it's something you'd couple with a higher flow cat, and catback exhaust, giving you overall the best flow from engine back to atmosphere. Unless you like noise, beware. Headerback exhausts tend to be insanely loud. Unfortunately it seems most people like them this way, so finding one which is relatively quiet and still performs well is very difficult.

Also, I don't know if this is true, but in reading the various Impreza forums (here, nasioc, et al) i've noticed the Borla headers have a *lot* of complaints as far as the headers cracking. While this won't hurt you too much, it gives you an exhaust leak, which is never good. People have posted a lot of stories about talking to Borla on the warranty portion of it, and have all been told a great deal of different answers, one from it needing to be wrapped, another saying it absolutely cannot be wrapped or it will void warranty, etc.

Suggestions at to low end power... I just don't know, your car has a ton of low end power, high end power is the point where it's lacking. 1st-2nd gear you'll find you'll pull hard on a lot of higher power cars, they don't have the torque down low. But once you get up high, they'll walk past you.

On the spoiler, yup, look for a replacement trunk. You might actually be able to find someone on here or nasioc who will swap you for the one with a spoiler, most people prefer them.

If you really need power, I suggest looking into a Turbo or S/C kit. RalliTek and PDM Turbos both seem to have excellent kits. And bother are Vendors here, and would be happy to answer all your questions i'm sure.

There is also an ongoing project by Kent/DNT Performance, who are working on a Supercharger kit, you can find that thread under forced induction here too.

There are some threads on N/A tuning on here, detailing a lot of what you'd want to do if you don't want forced induction and you want more power. Bang for the buck, the N/A will probably be a tiny bit more reliable, but it's a lot more work, and probably more expensive.

·
Registered
01 BRP RS
131 Posts
First off, the weight you are losing from pullies is not designed to reduce the weight of the vehicle.

Second, You don't lower the given power to the other parts unless you run an underdriven pulley. which there are ways around that too.

Third, lowering rotational mass is what it is all about, that is where you get your quicker revving engine. you use less horsepower to build up momentum in the engine, therefore the extra horsepower is used instead of wasted. Yes, the super light flywheels can work against you, but they are like 11 lbs vs. the stock 34lb flywheel. Also I believe the last time I heard every pound of rotational mass you lose you gain 2-2.5 hp.

that is what I have read about them since I got my car anyways, Mine are in the closet waiting for me to get a G'tech run as a base line before I put them on. Then I will know for sure if it gains horsepower or not. but frankley for $100 if I get 5 hp out of it I will be satisfied.

:flame:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I work at a subaru dealership and issues with aftermarket parts and warenties come up all the time. Im sure if you brought the car in for a transmission problem, youd be ok... but if you brought it in and they found out you fried your crank shaft bearings, due to the lightweight pulley, they would suggest you buy a new short block for about $3500 and another 9-10 hours of labor($89/hour at our shop) to install it, no warranty.

:(

·
Registered
98 2.5RS Rally Blue Pearl
396 Posts
Legacy GT is correct, if the mod installed "increases power" = no warranty.

Yes a non-spoilered trunk swap is what you need. The trouble is finding someone to trade with. Any 02-03 Impreza sedan (even the WRX) will work.

***If you DON"T CARE about your new car warranty the following is not applicable:

I won't get into mods but just keep in mind Subaru takes pleasure in denying warranty work if the car is modified. I'm not saying every warranty request will be denied but keep in mind anything that "increases power" pretty much kills any engine or drivetrain warranty repairs.

I've read many sob stories re denial of warranty repairs. My only suggestion is to always return everything under the hood (that is not dressup) back to oe when you take it in to the service department for anything, even an oil change.

(edit: for sentence structure)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah..this guy came in cause he blew up his turbo...it was supposed to be warranty.. everything looked norman under the hood.. so the tech went and put a new one in...it blew again.
after further inspection the tech found out he had an after market boost controller..im not sure if they charged him for 1 or 2 turbos, but still OUCH

:yikes:

this stuff happens all the time, I suggest if you care about your warranty only do things that you can return to OE fairly easy (like albert said above) your warranty is very important. we've dropped whole new engines in under warranty, so you might as well wait untill 36,000 miles to do anything you cant undo yourself

1 - 7 of 7 Posts