Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am new to this forum... and like alot of forums, newbies ask old questions... but please just read and help me :)

1. I am trying to build a TURBO AWD (2001 RS style) on a $12k budget.
2. I am assuming that a 97+ 2.5RS costs $13K plus $2K for turbo
3. 97 2.2 "L" are only $8500-9K

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

2.2 "L" ~ 8500
Turbo ~ 2000
Sti Spoiler ~ 150
RS Bumper ~ 200 ?
RS Hood ~ 200 ?

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Let me know if im missing anything to do the cheap-o conversion. Right now im just worried that the 2.2 L tranny/gear ratio might suck.

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Hey Jake,

Well, as I had mentioned in the emails before, I personally would consider an older car. I did some reasearch and found that the 1994 L or the 1996 LS were going to be my first pick. Specifically for features. When I did my research, I went to Edmunds.com and reviewed every single year of car and compared features. I picked the 94 and 96 because they both had disc brakes in the rear, ABS, air bags, and some other things that I felt were important to me. Of course, the body style is nearly identical across the years, so bolting on the hood, bumper, and trunk lid from a RS would be easy.

As far as the turbo, I *personally* would recommend considering getting a car with an automatic transmission. The manual will not handle the extra torque when the car is turbocharged, and second gear will explode. However, the automatic transmission can handle much more power, saving you the costs assosciated with tranny replacement or upgrades.

Then for the turbo kits, well, there are a lot of ways you can go - do it yourself (www.uniquemotorsports.com and SubaChad) or something like the several kits that are out there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, i have never heard someone recommend an Auto as being stronger than a Manual...

Do you have anything to back that up? I know that torque converters are the first to go when upgrading power on an automatic.

Also, aren't 93-96 1.8L AWD? I am more interested in the difference between the 97+ 2.2 or 2.5.

I would consider a 93-96 if I could do a motorswap w/ the Japanese 22B motor, but that would be unlikely.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
the only way you're getting a 22b motor is if you build it yourself ;)

about the L. in either 95 or 96, there was a slight revision of the hood so that an RS hood would not fit.

yes, the 1.8L are AWD.

you're estimates for the parts i think are a little on the side of wishfull thinking, though if you look around enough you might be able to do it. good luck!

oh, and james is the only person who will tell you to get an auto :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts