Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I decided to join in the 2.5 RS cult. My Nissan Z recently died with a transmission failure, and I wanted a car to drive in the harsh 'off-road' Detroit environment.

I've been looking for a 2.5 RS, and found one in my price range. Problem is, it's a '98, and 'claims' it has 32,000 original miles on it. The car checks out clean on Carfax. I'm going to drive two hours to see the car and I need to know what sort of things I should look out for. The car is quite cheap ($11,500), and I am a bit concerned it's been abused or illegally driven (with an unplugged gauge or similar). You see, I don't believe in things that are too good to be true. This is comming from a dealer, not a private seller.

Please help me. If someone can direct me to a person who has a 2.5 RS in good condition (5spd is my only requirement) for sale, that'll help too.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
there are no real big problems to look for. just the normal stuff you'd check on any car.

see if it actually has the gold wheels still on it ;)

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!:curse:
let's all chant along with me!

Fix the Z, Fix the Z, Fix the Z, Fix the Z, Fix the Z, Fix the Z, Fix the Z, Fix the Z, Fix the Z, Fix the Z, Fix the Z, Fix the Z, Fix the Z, Fix the Z.....
bah, anywho, i've got a 98, and i love it. good luck.:)

-brian

·
Registered
28 Posts
damn cheap

I just bought a 2001 2.5RS with 34,000 for $17,200!! from a dealer, and there were other dealers that wouldnt even match this price for the same car! (Seattle)

So that is a little fishy. Try to put the history together from the CarFax info. Was it a lease? To whom? (commercial use?)

Ask the dealer questions, like where they got it. If they dont want to tell you, or claim they dont know, they are hiding something they know about the car.

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
so what did you end up doing blue? did you get an RS? or fix the Z?

·
Registered
00 RS
40 Posts
IMO a car with that few of miles should show less wear all the way around. Like Warrior said, just do a normal inspection. If something feels wrong, ask. It's better to waste 4 hours driving, than 4 hours driving and 12k.

As for price, I think it's about right. Just depends on region. It's hard enough for a private seller to ask the same as a dealer even on newer cars. He might just know that where he lives he won't get much more, so he's got it listed as such. I read a piece the other day where a guy sold a mustang for 5k under KBB because his wife wanted it gone.

Before I buy any car, I talk to the seller as much as they/I can stand. I almost bought a 02 WRX from a guy 2 hours away from me, but chose not too because the longer I talked, the more problems started to pop up and the more I realized he didn't take care of that car very well.

·
Registered
BRP '01 2.5RS 4EAT coupe
113 Posts
Those prices really confused me at first.

I got a creepy form letter from the Subaru dealer earlier this week saying they had a buyer interested in my car and would give me a good deal on a trade in. At least I hope it was just a form letter.

·
Premium Member
2004 WRB WRX Wagon
514 Posts
12 years? Really brian? Do you just set your display from oldest to newest? wtf lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts