Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1999 OBS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, super pumped to have found this forum my dad actually pointed it out to me because of a very in depth clutch installation thread. Currently at the half way point of putting the new clutch in and the second half looks longer than the first. Anyways, I was wondering if there was any sort of housekeeping I should get out of the way. Add profile info etc. I will mostly be on a mobile browser on ios if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
1999 OBS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It’s a longer story about how I came to Acquire the car, I have a 98 obs which I got for an embarrassingly low price but it’s high mileage. Just a broke student right now so not going crazy just keeping it running. Going to add some hellas up front, sway bars and links and just waiting for new shift bushings to come in before I reinstall the trans. In a perfect world I keep the car forever and when this engine dies just do a swap with the help of Iwire. Not going for a crazy build just want something I can rely on and enjoy.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS
174 Posts
So far what I’ve learned is search first, search second, ask third.
Welcome! I think we might want to create a new sticky with just this advice.

If you think this is a place you want to spend some time, maybe start a journal. Based on what you said so far, it sounds like it would make for a good read, regardless of whether it is just basic repairs or mods and such. I've had a few people jump onto my journal to give me feedback, which has been really helpful.

Welcome, again! Keep us updated in some way.

·
Registered
'96 OBS
329 Posts
Nice! That sounds like a very realistic set of goals. Rear sway bar makes a lot of difference for not a lot of money. Front sway bar ... you can probably leave as is (IMHO) until you've done the rest of the suspension.

·
Registered
1999 OBS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice! That sounds like a very realistic set of goals. Rear sway bar makes a lot of difference for not a lot of money. Front sway bar ... you can probably leave as is (IMHO) until you've done the rest of the suspension.
Good to know, just wanted to take care of some of the roll until I can afford some real suspension.

·
Registered
'96 OBS
329 Posts
It's written up better in other places, but the super short version is: the front bar is 19mm stock. The rear is 13mm stock. The rear bar from an 02 or 03 WRX (17mm or 20mm) will bolt right up, but the WRX front bar is different (Details on fitment here: GC and GD swaybars compatible?). STIs run 20mm front / 20mm rear (but with stiffer springs of course) so I feel like that's a pretty reasonable indication of what makes sense for the chassis. Definitely don't pay more than $80 or so for a used rear bar, since you should be able to snag one brand new (part number: 20451FE000) for $100 from a couple resellers. I grabbed my Whiteline 22mm adjustable bar for ~$130 on Amazon 2 years ago.

Oh, on the subject of tips: check out parts.subaru.com or opposedforces.com/parts/impreza/ when you're looking for stuff. You can use the interchange information information to see what other cars you can source a part from, sometimes with big savings (For example, on Craigslist an "STI" part is always going to cost more than an "Outback" part even if it's the same exact part number). You can also take part numbers and plug them into ebay to see if some seller is doing a closeout sale.

·
Registered
1999 OBS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's written up better in other places, but the super short version is: the front bar is 19mm stock. The rear is 13mm stock. The rear bar from an 02 or 03 WRX (17mm or 20mm) will bolt right up, but the WRX front bar is different (Details on fitment here: GC and GD swaybars compatible?). STIs run 20mm front / 20mm rear (but with stiffer springs of course) so I feel like that's a pretty reasonable indication of what makes sense for the chassis. Definitely don't pay more than $80 or so for a used rear bar, since you should be able to snag one brand new (part number: 20451FE000) for $100 from a couple resellers. I grabbed my Whiteline 22mm adjustable bar for ~$130 on Amazon 2 years ago.

Oh, on the subject of tips: check out parts.subaru.com or opposedforces.com/parts/impreza/ when you're looking for stuff. You can use the interchange information information to see what other cars you can source a part from, sometimes with big savings (For example, on Craigslist an "STI" part is always going to cost more than an "Outback" part even if it's the same exact part number). You can also take part numbers and plug them into ebay to see if some seller is doing a closeout sale.
That reply is why I have come to the forums, thanks for taking the time. I am familiar with parts.subaru.com in my endless search for some fog lights that fit into those covers on the oem obs front bumper.

·
Registered
'96 OBS
329 Posts
Sure, happy to take the time. I learned from a lot of people on here who were generous with their time when I first got my car, so I'm just paying it forward a bit.

parts.subaru.com tends to take down stuff after they stop selling it. They don't seem to do this for everything so it tends to make me feel like I'm taking crazy pills when I run into it. I think this is probably the right part numbers for the fog light stuff: MY97-01L OEM Fog Light Kit Install Instructions
But you'll either need to hit other online subaru parts dealers to see if they have stock or (more likely) start haunting ebay. For ebay it's worth trying part number searches but also searching for each. individual. year the part was compatible with. So you'd search "1997 subaru impreza fog lights" then "1998 subaru impreza fog lights" then 1999 all the way to 2001. it's annoying, but you'll often stumble over surprise deals that way. As long as I'm doing a brain dump: Set your "condition" filter on ebay to "used" and watch like 95% of the spammy not-quite-completely-unrelated listings go away.

·
Registered
1999 OBS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sure, happy to take the time. I learned from a lot of people on here who were generous with their time when I first got my car, so I'm just paying it forward a bit.

parts.subaru.com tends to take down stuff after they stop selling it. They don't seem to do this for everything so it tends to make me feel like I'm taking crazy pills when I run into it. I think this is probably the right part numbers for the fog light stuff: MY97-01L OEM Fog Light Kit Install Instructions
But you'll either need to hit other online subaru parts dealers to see if they have stock or (more likely) start haunting ebay. For ebay it's worth trying part number searches but also searching for each. individual. year the part was compatible with. So you'd search "1997 subaru impreza fog lights" then "1998 subaru impreza fog lights" then 1999 all the way to 2001. it's annoying, but you'll often stumble over surprise deals that way. As long as I'm doing a brain dump: Set your "condition" filter on ebay to "used" and watch like 95% of the spammy not-quite-completely-unrelated listings go away.
You’ve already gotten me closer in one post than I have in two months to finding them. I actually saw a picture of them... I was beginning to think they were a myth. Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts

Oh wow that is super useful information. I know you mentioned that this info is repeated elsewhere but I think it'd be helpful stickied in the noobie forum as well. There's posts about what parts to get but I think this information about how to find parts would also be helpful.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts