Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
at 4-5 psi, you don't really need it. Much above that, you really really need it! I'd love to figure out how to get bigger injectors to work with my stock ecu.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I'm going to run 6 pounds as the normal setting but I'm still installing a Link2. If it ever blows I'm going with a 2.2L Legacy closed deck DOHC turbo motor, Link2, big ass ball bearing turbo, water injection and big boost. Screw daily driver status. Thats what the 2nd car is for.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Boxer said:
at 4-5 psi, you don't really need it. Much above that, you really really need it! I'd love to figure out how to get bigger injectors to work with my stock ecu.
Not true, man, not true at all. At least not on a 99.

·
Registered
174 Posts
It's nice to see more kits becoming available, and that's a nice price, but not a complete package... if you're going to do it, DO IT. Quality wise... I think Shiv's is still the one to beat.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What do you feel isn't complete, if I may ask? Of course there's no intercooler, but it's an available upgrade. If you wanna go full bore w/ injectors, new turbo (I like that vf22 option.), intercooler, and pipes, it's about $3500-$3700. There's no cheap way to get reliable hp, IMHO. You won't find a kit for $2500 that can give you 400hp. They just don't exist. Comparing this to Vishnu is like apples to oranges.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
meebs said:
Quality wise... I think Shiv's is still the one to beat.
Does that guy even sell anything for the GC8s anymore?? Sure as hell doesn't seem like it. Did he even start to mass produce that turbo kit they where working on?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Boxer said:
What do you feel isn't complete, if I may ask? Of course there's no intercooler, but it's an available upgrade. If you wanna go full bore w/ injectors, new turbo (I like that vf22 option.), intercooler, and pipes, it's about $3500-$3700. There's no cheap way to get reliable hp, IMHO. You won't find a kit for $2500 that can give you 400hp. They just don't exist. Comparing this to Vishnu is like apples to oranges.
I've seen the build quality of other kits, and so far haven't seen one on the same level as the Vishnu kit. Of course you aren't going to find 400hp for $2500... If you start looking on the page, I see that a lot of stuff that I would consider neccessary, is extra...

It all comes down to what you want to do with it. Reliablilty and a significant increase are what I'm shopping around for, if you really want to spend $2500 and bolt a turbo to the stock ECU, then hey, go for it. I just wouldn't consider it money well spent. :)

Like I said I'm glad there is another choice to look at.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Lo0mis said:
Does that guy even sell anything for the GC8s anymore?? Sure as hell doesn't seem like it. Did he even start to mass produce that turbo kit they where working on?
I don't know if he ever started to mass produce it... in fact it took quite a while for all the pieces to arrive. :) But the quality of it was very nice, compared to the Ludespeed and JC sports kits. Don't get me wrong, they all work fine, but you get what you pay for. And I'm sure you could add a Tec 3 to any of those other kits.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Boxer said:
While you don't need stand alone engine management, I think a SAFC and possibly a little beefier fuel pump would be advisable. There are a few people running that setup to my knowledge.

·
Registered
286 Posts
To me, running boost with an open deck doesn't seem wise, and only damn good tuning is going to protect your engine. So, do you pay $2,600 now, then $5,000 when you blow the engine, or just pay $4,500 (or however much a REAL turbo kit costs) and hopefully spare your engine? OR, buy a closed-deck w/ turbo, and rest easy at night? Just an idea. I am just a day-dreaming 2.2L owner anyway.

-Andy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts