Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so im a noobie at subarus cause i just purchaed my car last week. im looking to start my mods with an intake. which intakes gives u the most performance? and what is this thing about removing the intake silencer im reading about on other threads. does that give you any performance gains? and can it be done on the 2000 rs models? :confused:

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
removing the intake silencer on a MY00 RS is very, very easy. in fact, its 3 bolts easy ;) there is one up by the front grille, one down by the ABS module and one over to the side. i think. its been awhile since i've looked at it. anyway, they're all painfully obvious. 12 and 14mm IIRC. just undo the bolts and give it a wee tug where it attaches to the filter box and there you go. as for performance gains, none really. its sounds better though. i have it done and now that i have a K&N filter and a cat-back exhaust, maybe, maybe its worth something. Frankly, i put it back on for divisional level auto-x's so i'm legal and i can't tell a performance difference. as for intakes, there are plenty to choose from. i don't know about dyno numbers so i'll pass the buck on that one. with a 2000 though, you can basically hack up the stock filter box and make a nice pseudo ram air with the hoodscoop that works quite well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the input, but when u do take the intake silencer off, dosent it leave an open space that is uncovered in the hose leading to the filter box? or is that what its supose to do? if it does, cant dust and all that other crap get in?? let me know what up with this?

·
Registered
139 Posts
to start, welcome to the subaru world.
as for the dust issue, no worries. you will still have an air filter to catch it. consider that short ram intakes like the weapon r have the filter in the open and the engine still runs fine.
my suggestion for an intake would be the ganz or cobb.
performance goes to cobb but, the price is best with the ganz. check the hot links section for ideas. change the setting from 30 days to the begining.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
imho?
intakes dont really DO that much... erm... other than look neat and make noise.

anyone got a dyno with just an intake? ;)

2-5hp gain at most...
and that may be pushing it :)

i found that when i had an open air cone intake
that i lost low end torque....

but when i swapped to the ganzflow? with a K&N filter?
torque came back, sound was still there...
and car overall just performed "better "

Jamie - www.subiegalracing.com

·
Registered
1993 Miata-T
224 Posts
You're right, I have a Ganz, and I can attest to the fact that it does produce some power with a K&N. I also have a PROECM chip, Stromung Catback, and various other mods that dont produce power, but I'm going to finish my power mods this month. I'm going to buy a Cobb Flywheel and Clutch, Borla Headers, Cobb Cat, GFB Pulleys, KYB AGX Struts, and Prodrive Springs. After this, I'll be saving money to possibly buythe stroker kit that Cobb is working on, or just build a High Reving engine.

·
Registered
05 STi White + 99 RS White
1,828 Posts
Subie Gal said:
imho?
intakes dont really DO that much... erm... other than look neat and make noise.

anyone got a dyno with just an intake? ;)

2-5hp gain at most...
and that may be pushing it :)

i found that when i had an open air cone intake
that i lost low end torque....

but when i swapped to the ganzflow? with a K&N filter?
torque came back, sound was still there...
and car overall just performed "better "

Jamie - www.subiegalracing.com
Cobb intake was good for 9 hp on they dyno... on a my99... i don't think the dyno w/ little air flow is where an intake shines either...

better than exhaust.;)

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO 6spd
4,229 Posts
Are you kidding Jamie? I think intakes make a big difference for the EJ25. I don't think 10hp+ (at the crank) is unreasonable. I remember SCC dynoed a few back in the day. I know they got 18WHP for both the intake and exhaust. I now on thing for sure I can tell the difference in my car with and without the intake. I think it's a worth while mod regardless. Plus it does sound cool. :biggest:

JC

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO 6spd
4,229 Posts
Found more for you. Our old friends at JC Sports dynoed their intake to add 13.1HP.

·
Registered
1993 Miata-T
224 Posts
If you haver no way to lean your car out, and intake just makes it run even more rich than before.

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Remember, the engine is a system. No one component will "shine" without adding the other pieces of the puzzle. An Intake/exhaust combo helps a ton, the peak hp may not be there but the power band is changed making a more enjoyable car. Different model years respond differently to different mods. MY00+ see to like the Cobb and Ganzflow style intakes but my 99 is a totally different animal with a short ram Weapon-R. After driving several Cobb Tuned imprezas (the ones he actually built and sold through the dealer) I was thoroughly unimpressed. The car made good hp but just wasn't as lively as I would've expected. Looking back on things, I'd plan to mod accordingly (interms of cost and performance)

intake/cat back
header/high flow cat
lightweight pulleies/flywheel/clutch
piggyback computer(s)
cams
headwork
compression bump

that is only looking at power adders.... if I were you I'd address the suspension/brake shortcomings first ;)

·
Registered
1993 Miata-T
224 Posts
And make sure you get stronger valve springs and retainers so you can raise the redline :) You might as wellgo witha Link or a Unichip after youre finished with everything, I bet that would liven things up even more. I seen a webpage for a company that offers a Throttle Body bore for 150 cdn. Might be worth looking into..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts