Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heyyo everyone, im new to the forum, Ive had a 2001 silver rs for a couple months now, right now it has a Injen CAI, borla headers, stromung catback. Ill be doing some suspension mods, sways and probably struts/shocks in the next couple weeks to begin with, I will be doing autox with it. Except I need a new paint job for the car very badly, some rust one most parts as it was a chicago car its whole life. So tomorrow ill be sanding and start prepping it to paint, i was wondering about flat black? Ive heard alot of mixed opinions on this and im sure ill get more here but I wanna know how it is to paint it, most likely my dad would paint it with a spray gun and all that stuff, so not really a rattle can job but not pro either.
Thanks

· Premium Member
06 Lexus Rx400h
2,071 Posts
flat black... is not to bad to paint at all..its a lighter paint ( depending on the brand ) so lighter thin coats is always best.. g/l in your suby journey

· Premium Member
95 L-STi
762 Posts
Welcome fellow newcomer! I think flat black looks good as an accent, like if your hood scoop is flaking, painting it flat black looks good or your hood vents. I agree with the above post that when I see an entirely flat black car it makes me think there's something wrong with it or something's being hidden. BUT I'm sure when done right it can look good too. GL!

· Hoopty King
2000 BRP 2.5RS/1994 Legacy SS
1,440 Posts
Fix the rust and keep the car the original silver color. People only go to flat black to hide something and a nice silver RS looks good!

Welcome aboard!
+1
I don't hate Flat Black, but I don't like it either.

Either way, welcome!

· Reformed Ricer
07 STI, 07 STI, 10 Forester, 03 WRX
5,973 Posts
Fix the rust and keep the car the original silver color. People only go to flat black to hide something and a nice silver RS looks good!

Welcome aboard!

very true. saw an absolute shit 93 celica yesterday, same deal. looked nasty. ive never been a fan of flat black paint.

· project blackbird.
'01 RS, '81 Fiat Spider
4,042 Posts
I like the satin black look and have considered it pretty seriously. You would still clear the car, but with a dulling compound in the clearcoat to give it a semigloss finish. It doesn't have the crap chalkboard look of flat black, and looks clean, aggressive and different. The car needs to be done up right to make it work though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.