Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, I just got my hands on a 2000 RS, I am excited about it, but there is a noise I dont like. There is a clunking noise coming from what sounds like the front. It isnt the engine becuase it dosent fluxuate with the rpms, but more so with just the movement of the car. Maybe it is the diff, or what, just a subtle clunk clunk clunk as I move. Car has cut front springs (which I will be replacing asap) and lightweight underdrive pully.

I am a little drunk, celebrating the trade/ morning for my old car, so please forgive any mistakes in spelling. :rolleyes: Any help would be greatly appreciated. :) :confused: There will be more infor in the morning when I can check out the car better.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also.... just thought of this, the fan cuts on, then off, then on, then off, when the key is turned turned to on (without the engine running). Wondering if this is a big deal, or if this is a problem. Car has a good stereo system in it (soon to be taken out and sold becuase I could care less). Just thought it was a little strange.

P.S. still semi intoxicated, sorry. :corn:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I havent been able to check it out today yet. It is kind of hard to hear because of the loud ebay muffler the guy put on it. I will get more information on it after I drive it around a little bit.

·
Registered
00 OBS Silverthorn Metallic
4,184 Posts
First off, replace the cut springs. Chances are your clunking noise is coming from there.

Next, it sounds like the coolant temperature sensor is shot. With the key on engine off the fans should not kick on unless the car is extremely hot. If the ECT is shot, it will lie to the ECM making it think the coolant is hot. The ECM cycles the fans on and off for no reason.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I had planned on definitly replacing the springs. And I will check on the coolant temp sensor. Thanks for the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts