Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New to the forum in the sense I signed up for an account. I have been browsing since 1999 though. I have read a lot as of late. I am looking to step up with a car. Currently have a ford Taurus but I need a 2000-2001 Subaru 2.5RS no questions asked. Three of my buddies had them back in 2001. One had a champagne red 2dr 2000. Other a 4dr blue 2001. The other a black 2000 2dr. All my friends had one and I could never afford it, and it sucked haha. The saddest part is each one of them wrecked them. Anything from near fatal to hitting a curb sideways. I'm 25 now and capable of buying this car and respecting what it can do and what it can't. I am more of the cruiser type. I just like to cruise knowing I have a little bit of power underneath the hood when I want.

Anyways my questions are general. I would be financing this car for a short time and am currently covered with Allstate. Is anyone here covered with Allstate and if so how much are you paying a month for your scoobie? Did they make you get full coverage due to financing?

Should I just wait it out until I find the perfect 2000-2001? Is there a certain mileage on the car you want to look for, 75k? Obviously the lower the better at times, but is there a mileage you do not want to go over when purchasing?

I am stuck on whether to get an automatic tranny or manual. I know most will say manual but like I said I would just cruise and I know if I had a manual I would probably end up getting a little crazy from time to time. I feel with an automatic I would be more reserved.

If a tranny breaks is a manual or automatic more expensive to fix? How much are transmission for these cars rebuilt?

Gas does it need to be a higher grade? I can't remember. Regular unleaded doesn't cut it right? From memory I believe regular was fine but is a higher grade better?

Thanks for reading.
-Matthew

· Registered
2017 STi
14,451 Posts
Well........There's a lot of info your going to need bro. If your getting it used just make sure the HG's and timing belt were replaced if it has high mileage. Also check for rust and check the body in general. See if you can possibly get a test drive. You really shouldn't have a problem with the tranny on a manual unless you abuse your car (hard launches etc.). As for buying a high mileage car just be sure that the person that had it before you took good care of it, engine mangement etc. and that it is available for a decent price. If you can, try and get an RS that is not heavily modded because you don't know what the previous owner really did with it, racing, autox, etc. I am sure that I am leaving a lot of stuff out so wait for someone else to chime in and add to the list. I recommend a manual BTW even if you like to cruise. Way more fun, I'm 25 also bro but still drive like a grandma with a manual. Regular unleaded is what you need for NA subies. I have liberty mutual insurance, full coverage, and I pay $80 a month. I also have a perfect driving record.

· Registered
'98 RS, '13 BRZ
841 Posts
Its smart to go for a 2000-2001, the 98/99's had head gasket issues. Try not to buy one with more then 80k miles i'd say, but that can be hard to find these days (and expesive).
I was paying $100 a month for insurance, but for NJ that is really good. It REALLY depends on where you live.
Personally, as you predicted, i would say go for a manual. I just get bored driving an automatic. As for replacing the tranny, it will probably be about the same price to replace an auto as it would a manual. Also the car runs just fine on regular gas (87 octane).
Good luck finding one, it can be tricky. It took me 6 months to find mine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.