Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
98 impreza coupe, 03 WRX wagon
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I made the mistake of showing my bug eye friend the thread to Omiotek's build journal. It started off as giving him perspective on the detail that should be taken in the bug eye 2.5rs if he wants to make it a showcar. Lets face it, Omioteks build is nasty and the amount of prep and detail put into the car is unparalleled.

As we were browsing through, he caught glimpse of the supercharger and says: :wtf:CAN WE DO THAT?:D

So long story short, Im now doing research to have a bug eye 2.5rsc project. We literally just got the block and heads back from the machine shop, $1400 later every detail of the motor was replaced. All oem replacement parts. For that price I woulda gone with an ej20 and kept the car more original (chassis vin/engine code is 2002 wrx, purchased as bare shell)

Will an essentially brand new ej25 stock motor hold up to just a basic we'll say 8-10lbs boost from a sc? I already know there will be fabrication in the works, I just wanna know if we should be doing anything with the motor before it gets sealed together (heads and block are still in bubble wrap)

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
that motor should handle 8 psi no problem. i built mine with low compression internals but im looking to push it.

thanks for your compliments man. it really goes a long way to see a response like that. ive about given up on this car a few times due to it causing me my current financial state but the few guys that pay attnetion to my thread and give me the comments/feedback is what keeps me going.

the fabrication on mine is far from finished and being that its an m90 vs skidds m62 there is a lot less room. the jaguar m90 im using is also the hardest one to come by. mine was all built on an engine stand without the slightest clue if anything would actually fit in the car.amazingly enough it fit but not without posing challenges for a lot of things. none the less im slowly getting there. not having a welder at my dads place really makes it difficult to fabricate.

good luck with the build. thanks again for your compliments.

slowly but surely im getting it done but if i were to do it all over again i would be mounting this thing with the manfiold and relocating the alternator. its a ton of work but in all honest it would be the easiest and cleanest way. im going to probablly do that eventually.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that motor should handle 8 psi no problem. i built mine with low compression internals but im looking to push it.
This was supposed to be a show car since he had his 2011 wrx, he didn't want another turbo :screwy: but being without the wrx now and seeing the supercharge option, he practically handed me his wallet and said make it happen. However, if its mainly a show and a little go, I think just the 8lbs and hearing the charger will be enough. Hes not gonna be racing it, and probably using it as a daily.

thanks for your compliments man. it really goes a long way to see a response like that. ive about given up on this car a few times due to it causing me my current financial state but the few guys that pay attnetion to my thread and give me the comments/feedback is what keeps me going.
Anytime dude, Im not gonna lie I was inspired to copy 99% of what your thread contained, except my gc is going with the frankenboost turbo. But seriously, pulling absolutely everything out and spraying or powder coating every detail... I had the ideas but I never would have thought of refreshing the fuel tank or the driveshaft, but its the details like that that set your build apart from most. Truly inspiring build.

yes. check out skidd's build.
Caught a quick glimpse when I was sitting next to the bug eye as well as the different supercharger builds thread. That raptor setup looked nice. I still have yet to sit down and start doing the research I need to do :facepalm: gonna be another all-nighter

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
Yesterday a friend with a turbo '93 Legacy L (15PSI) commented that my car was the best all-round scoob he'd every driven, and my car has some pretty cheap "tuning". Free WRX RSB, used '96 WRX struts, totally homebrewM62... Helps it's faster than his '06 GT, too. :mamoru: No, I'm not just tooting my own horn, it's worth hearing from people who prefer turbos cars that the SC'd ones are just as much fun.

And FWIW, I wouldn't use a Raptor kit. Not because they're bad or anything like that, but because the sound alone of a roots or twin-screw is worth it, IMO.

for anything under 14psi turbos are pointless. linear boost ftw
My next planned build will be 16PSI target out of an M90 with an AWIC and custom IM, on a bored-and-forged 251. 2.7L at 16 pounds should be a hoot. :blol: And a tranny-breaker...

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
for anything under 14psi turbos are pointless. linear boost ftw
Haha please dont hold back not like im going turbo with my build:rolleyes: Im gonna start with the base of 8-10 psi on my frankenboost til I get comfortable with upping the boost and tuning. Babysteps lol

And FWIW, I wouldn't use a Raptor kit. Not because they're bad or anything like that, but because the sound alone of a roots or twin-screw is worth it, IMO.
I just liked the look of the setup with the centrifugal supercharger, like a turbo thats floating out of place :mamoru:

·
Registered
2001 Impreza RS - Black
227 Posts
My next planned build will be 16PSI target out of an M90 with an AWIC and custom IM, on a bored-and-forged 251. 2.7L at 16 pounds should be a hoot. :blol: And a tranny-breaker...
I'd love to do that myself one day. Although I would probably opt for the 6spd swap at that point, but that's just me.

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
I'd love to do that myself one day. Although I would probably opt for the 6spd swap at that point, but that's just me.
It all depends on how this summer goes anyway. My chassis is rapidly turning back into the base materials from whence it came, so this summer's goal is to find a clean shell to swap to (or failing that, a LOT of welding). That would include a total suspension rebuild, and likely by the end of it my current drivetrain would go back in (albeit with a few minor tweaks). The crazy build may have to wait until the following summer, when I will hopefully have a co-op, and hence more than the traditional college student budget. :rolleyes:

And besides, when I break my 5 speed, I'll just get another from a junkyard while I put a PPG set in the old one.

I just liked the look of the setup with the centrifugal supercharger, like a turbo thats floating out of place :mamoru:
Well... I mean, like I said, nothing wrong with it, but why not go whole hog if you're doing it? Get a modern Eaton TVS unit.

linear boost is where its at for anyhing under 14psi
So what you're saying is... an M62 at 6PSI that's fed from a TD04 at 8PSI for a combined pressure of 30PSI? :drool:

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I'm not a fan of twin charging. Id Do compound turbos of twin charging any day. For low boost superchargers are the best bang for the buck if you have the fabrication ability and theresthere's no lag

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
linear boost is where its at for anyhing under 14psi
So if Im building my gc for rally, and again trying to go up in stages, would a supercharger be a more sensible build? I dont wanna go from eco-box to supercar overnight and not be used to it and.. well.. die lol. Babysteps.

The bugeye we want a supercharger because while theyre apparently becoming more common, theyre still not a typical thing. So when you pop the hood at a show it wont be "oh another turbo subaru, how original" itll be ":wtf:" Same reason I wanted to drop a subaru drivetrain into the del sol shell thats sitting.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
i mean rally cars have anti lag........ unless you plan on getting nuts i would do a blower....but theres a lot of perfection to be done to make sure your not shredding belts and such,

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
I'm not a fan of twin charging. Id Do compound turbos of twin charging any day. For low boost superchargers are the best bang for the buck if you have the fabrication ability and theresthere's no lag
True enough, and were I shooting solely for power & driveability I'd go the compound route. But my goals are more about doing it differently. I mean, Lancia made it work in the Delta.

i mean rally cars have anti lag........ unless you plan on getting nuts i would do a blower....but theres a lot of perfection to be done to make sure your not shredding belts and such,
True that. I think I went through 5 belts before I got my idlers to the point where they don't just shred the belts. I still want to re-make the piece though, it still flexes slightly under tension.

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,235 Posts
It's pretty hard to deny the fun of the "Woh.. that's different" you get when showing someone a SCd Scoob. I love the look on peoples faces when I open the hood, they look around for a bit... then all of a sudden go "What the hell is that thing?". :lol:

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
It's pretty hard to deny the fun of the "Woh.. that's different" you get when showing someone a SCd Scoob. I love the look on peoples faces when I open the hood, they look around for a bit... then all of a sudden go "What the hell is that thing?". :lol:
What's amazing to me, I took it to a predominantly muscle car show, so the sort of people you'd think would know a roots supercharger when they see one, and they still swore up and down I meant turbocharged! :bonk:

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
yeah personally i think you will find a lot more limitations with a twin charged setup vs a compound setup. Its all going to come down to finding a perfect pair for perfect efficiency. Then you have to deal with tuning and so forth.

Make your idler brackets better. I did mine from 1/8ths mild steel plate. I made them oversize and then I also added a little support that ties into my super charger bracket with a bolt. There should be some pics in my journal

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
True that. I think I went through 5 belts before I got my idlers to the point where they don't just shred the belts. I still want to re-make the piece though, it still flexes slightly under tension.
So then I can pretty much look forward to seeing belts shred until I get things tweaked just right... wonderful.:help:

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
There's always tweaks with anything........ if your parts are sturdy and and your belt alignments good then you won't shred belts

1 - 20 of 21 Posts