Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
White 1999 RSTI
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently picked up a pretty nicely swapped RSTI and am in the process of debugging it (cough). The car currently has no horn(s) and I'm going to need this for inspection and because frankly I want something to signal asshats on the road. This would be my first Subbie :)

In addition to having to find the horn wiring (fuse box hidden in fender too) and installing horns (Hella reds) I suspect that the steering wheel is going to be an issue. Currently the signal doesn't cancel properly and I suspect the horn button won't work when I find the wiring up front. The current wheel is "JDM" and I'm told by the original builder that the clock spring to properly fit this is going to be tough to find. I'm not particularly fond of the wheel anyway and the bag is non-functional (2k4 interior in my 99 RS). The column is 2k4.

From my research I believe I need both a wheel and a clock spring although I intend to pull the existing wheel off and see what's going on with the turn signal soon. So my point is - what wheels can I use and get horn and proper turn signal functionality? Since this is a 2K4 column I assume that wheel will work, will the 2K5-7 wheels also work? I think so. What about even later wheels? Any earlier wheels worth looking at? I cannot find anything regarding the various steering wheel designs like there is for seats, it would be pretty helpful if such a thing existed I think. What should I be looking for regarding clocksprings? I'd like to use something I can find in the future should I need parts if possible. Remember, airbag functionality not required and I presently don't have cruise either but perhaps in the future.

When I have a little time I'll start a build thread detailing all the fun I'm having debugging but for now this is one of the more pressing things. I guess include just wire a button somewhere to a set of horns but I'd prefer the car work as close to OEM as possible given a choice. I'll try to snap a picture of what's in the car now tomorrow, maybe getting this wheel working is easier than expected and I could live with it awhile ;-)

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2000 BRP 2.5 RS Sedan
201 Posts
To fix the horn and turn signal issue, its most likely a clockspring issue. Assuming it's a 2004 STI column, get a clockspring on ebay that will fit that car. Off the top of my head, I don't know for sure whether the 2004 STI clockspring is specific to that model, but I wouldn't be suprised if it wasn't specific.

If I recall correctly, any steering wheel from Subaru will fit another Subaru, but the airbag situation is where it gets more complicated. I'm using a DAMD STI wheel, a 02 WRX airbag explosive, and a 2005 airbag for my wheel and set up. Pricey, but worth it to me. I got the STI cruise control stalk to work too, but I still have to use the cruise button on the dash. Set, cancel, increase and decrease work on the lever.

Since you have a 2004 interior, you can use 2004 and 2005 steering wheels. 2006-07 started using dual charge explosives for the airbags.

-Vu

·
Registered
White 1999 RSTI
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To fix the horn and turn signal issue, its most likely a clockspring issue. Assuming it's a 2004 STI column, get a clockspring on ebay that will fit that car. Off the top of my head, I don't know for sure whether the 2004 STI clockspring is specific to that model, but I wouldn't be suprised if it wasn't specific.

If I recall correctly, any steering wheel from Subaru will fit another Subaru, but the airbag situation is where it gets more complicated. I'm using a DAMD STI wheel, a 02 WRX airbag explosive, and a 2005 airbag for my wheel and set up. Pricey, but worth it to me. I got the STI cruise control stalk to work too, but I still have to use the cruise button on the dash. Set, cancel, increase and decrease work on the lever.

Since you have a 2004 interior, you can use 2004 and 2005 steering wheels. 2006-07 started using dual charge explosives for the airbags.

-Vu
Since airbags in this car are a non-issue (disabled) does that open the options up further? Is there anyplace to get a good look at all of the various wheels to help choose one? I've got a pic of mine now but no easy place to host it. It's a three spoke Nardi, completely smooth rim with no perforations, no bumps or anything for your hands, C/F emblem in the middle that may or may not be stock. It looks okay but it's too thin and smooth. From what you've said it sounds like a clockspring is my first step and go from there. Heck, I might even be able to repair this one if I'm lucky. I'd love to have cruise but it's not critical - I doubt I have any of the CC pieces on the car right now lol.

·
Free!
01 RSTI / 03LeggyH6
6,934 Posts
Clocksprings only work on OEM wheels with airbags and get tossed when aftermarket wheels and bosses come into play - (then sold b/c theres always a demand for them :D)
Not sure how the Nardi will fit on yours as those were for GC's and you have a GD interior. Early GC's had a simple plastic ring with some detents which did the blinker cancelling. You can see a pic of it here. (The white plastic ring.) http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/526...-working-horn-turn-signals-2.html#post1527207

On my aftermarket Sparco wheel/boss I simply wired the horns up direct to the included horn button and ran that to the horn power/ground that originally plugged into the clockspring with some extra length in the wire to allow the wheel to spin without severing the contact. I rigged up the Supertones according to the instructions. Then to retain the blinker cancelling I had to buy 2 of those rings and glue them together since the space between column to wheel is increased and just one ring wont stay in place once the clockspring is removed.

·
Registered
White 1999 RSTI
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aaah okay, so this is a V3 STi wheel it looks like. The whole GC\GD thing messes with my head, still learning the generations and differences! I guess from an interior perspective my car is a GD! I will see if I can find a later model wheel and clockspring to get me started towards being legal :)

Acquacow, no I didn't buy that car. I did take a look at it but the "surface rust" didn't look so surface to me - ran like a top though! Too much work in that car for the money required to take it home I'm afraid. Instead I drove to RI and back from NOVA last Saturday through that fun snow storm to bring back this car -> KandyRoush's 99 RSTI Build - NASIOC The guy who built it sold it and I got it from that guy :) The owner I bought it from "cleaned up" the engine bay quite a bit - mostly by deleting things that I'll be putting back. <sigh> It's a damned nice car though and with some TLC it'll be a blast to drive and tune.

·
Registered
99 RS 2.5 Blue, 95 L
446 Posts
Fun...kinda.

The whole air bag in the steering wheel is tricky when you are swapping generations and such. I disabled mine. I would like to have the feature but I'm not too excited about hooking up explosives.

·
Ex-Mooderator
2001 RSTi, 2011 WRX Hatch
3,264 Posts
Fun...kinda.

The whole air bag in the steering wheel is tricky when you are swapping generations and such. I disabled mine. I would like to have the feature but I'm not too excited about hooking up explosives.
Just hook it up with the battery detached, then you can re-attach the battery later from outside the car where it's safe =)

·
Registered
White 1999 RSTI
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've dealt with airbags a few times, so long as you don't apply a voltage to them they aren't too scary. If I had the sensors in my car and the bags in the proper place I'd hook it up for sure! It's a safety thing and given a choice I'd prefer to have it - especially having had need of one in the past.... That was one that was swapped from a different model of car into my Supra and it deployed just fine - just made sure it was the same type and number of stages etc. <shrug>

·
Registered
White 1999 RSTI
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, I've sourced a V9 STi wheel with airbag although I paid a bit too much. I've also got a clockspring coming that "should" work. My horn wiring appears to be missing up front so I'll be digging around looking for that as soon as I get another day of warm weather. fingers crossed it goes together well, the airbag will be disabled for sure tho :(

·
Registered
WRX STi Version IV TypeR
58 Posts
thank you for posting I have had the same issue since I bought my car and have just lived without a horn for two years.
two days ago I finally removed my airbag light since it's also been on since I bought the car.
this is great! As soon as the sun comes out I am gonna fix my *beep*in horn.

·
Registered
White 1999 RSTI
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why will the airbag be disabled for sure?

-Vu
Thought I'd responded already... This is a 2K4 dash in a 1999 car, different generations. The guy who built the car felt it wasn't safe and so he removed the airbag hardware - sensors and whatnot. I'm not so sure I feel the same way but for now - no airbags enabled. I do however want my signals to cancel so I'll be swapping. I have the clockspring now, waiting on the wheel for which I paid too much but appears to be in VERY good shape! Fingers crossed. I've identified where in the harness we think the washer bottle pigtail was snipped but not yet found the horn wires - the Hellas have arrived after Amazon's shipper lost the first batch. I'll figure out how to mount them shortly!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts