Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all i'm new to the subaru scene and ive just purchased a 98 wagon with a version 4 sti swap and the car keeps overheating and pissing all the coolant out of the overflow tank...any help would be mega useful :flame:

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,700 Posts
also, if they replaced the thermostat when they put the motor in and used an aftermarket one it's probably failed.

We've had several members w/ aftermarket ones fail, go stock.

Being a swapped car, there are many things that could be going on. First off, make sure your overflow tank is to the proper level. If it's full to the top, it's WAY too full, drain some out. If it's bubbling though and you've flushed all the air out of the system that means gas from the cylinders is escaping into the coolant system, which is headgaskets.

Air in your cooling system will make you overheat very quickly.

Best tool ever for getting air out of the coolant system is a proper radiator fill funnel: http://www.tooltopia.com/lisle-2461...oglebase_18u&gclid=CMKH9YPJ160CFUG8KgodJGpInQ

Just replace your radiator cap with it, fill it about halfway with coolant, then warm up the car w/ the heat on and it'll let it burp while filling it with coolant. Add more if it starts getting empty. Put your rad. cap back on when the bubbles stop coming up, and dump the extra in the overflow tank. done and done.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,326 Posts
Hey,
I had the same problem in my 2.5 RS when I purchased it. I changed the rad cap, which didnt work. Removed the Thermostat which helped a little but also was just a band aid. Then I changed the head gaskets with Parts from Z1 performance (a Vendor on here) and havent had any trouble with heat since! Subaru in Grande Prairie AB quoted me 14 hrs labor to do the change and $2800 in total cost. I did it in less than that and paid $400 in total for parts shipped up! All i used was some help from the guys on here and a couple of the DIY threads.

My advise, dont dare driving that car across Canada without getting this done. You might as well give it to me now if you do cause you'll have to leave it somewhere with a dead engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.