Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is up everyone!

Man, for me it has been a long time coming. I am from Las Vegas and I have been eyeing my own GC8 for YEARS. Finally (well last year) I managed to purchase a grey 4dr 2.5rs. I of course had plans but covid got in the way (naturally). With that said I have a pretty basic question for the people who have done this journey before. Before all the big flashy, juicy and obvious things like engine/interior swaps... what are some easy and inexpensive yet impactful changes you can start making? What would you have done sooner if you had known? Looking at my car the whole process is overwhelming and I am having a hard time thinking of clear goals I should make for it besides the aforementioned obvious choices.

Looking forward to some ideas :)

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,065 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
'96 OBS
287 Posts
An upgraded rear swaybar is probably the best bang-for-your-buck suspension mod out there. A 17mm or 20mm bar from a GD WRX should be pretty darn cheap (search for compatibility). A brand new adjustable bar can also be very affordable too (especially compared to other suspension mods). Good tires are always a win (but cost more). If you have any hard-to-get parts that are wearing out (weather stripping, trim pieces), now is the time to start hunting those down. We're getting to a point soon where new parts are going to get harder to find. Good luck and enjoy your car!

·
Registered
2000 2.5 RS
79 Posts
I agree 100% with the upgraded rear sway bar as an early upgrade, it makes a huge difference in handling on a budget. May be a strange things to mention but my next two personal favorite mods would be replacing the knock sensor as well as a grounding kit from Unique Fabrications if they are still producing them. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
May be a strange things to mention but my next two personal favorite mods would be replacing the knock sensor as well as a grounding kit from Unique Fabrications if they are still producing them.
Could you expand a bit on why? Just to be clear this car is still stock entirely so everything is up for replacement

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
An upgraded rear swaybar is probably the best bang-for-your-buck suspension mod out there. A 17mm or 20mm bar from a GD WRX should be pretty darn cheap (search for compatibility). A brand new adjustable bar can also be very affordable too (especially compared to other suspension mods). Good tires are always a win (but cost more). If you have any hard-to-get parts that are wearing out (weather stripping, trim pieces), now is the time to start hunting those down. We're getting to a point soon where new parts are going to get harder to find. Good luck and enjoy your car!
I will look into the rear swaybar. Currently the car is at 300k miles and is just for me to get back and forth from work (13 miles round trip) Why is it that the pieces you mentioned are getting harder to find? Normal reasons like 'the car is not being produced anymore'?

·
Registered
104 Posts
The car is over 20 years old and dealerships started to clean out their part stock about 10 years ago. Most exterior parts are only available through aftermarket suppliers unless you get lucky and happen to find some new old stock.

·
Registered
Wrapped 2000 RS Sedan
16 Posts
Congrats on the purchase, welcome to the forum.

I would suggest doing all of the fluids: oil, diff, transmission, etc, getting a good set of tires, and then suspension bits and pieces, with a rear sway bar being at the top of the list (y) (y)

·
Registered
2000 2.5 RS
79 Posts
Could you expand a bit on why? Just to be clear this car is still stock entirely so everything is up for replacement

The knock sensor replacement made a huge difference in the way the car seemed to idle, much smoother after replacement. And basically the same from the grounding kit, it made a big difference in overall smoothness of not only the idle but the throttle responsiveness as well. Its been years since I daily drove my GC, and even a couple years longer since I did those two things, but I remember not only myself but skeptical friends also being blown away at the difference the grounding kit made. Ill look and see if they still make them or not.

·
Registered
2000 2.5 RS
79 Posts

The knock sensor replacement made a huge difference in the way the car seemed to idle, much smoother after replacement. And basically the same from the grounding kit, it made a big difference in overall smoothness of not only the idle but the throttle responsiveness as well. Its been years since I daily drove my GC, and even a couple years longer since I did those two things, but I remember not only myself but skeptical friends also being blown away at the difference the grounding kit made.

Here is the link, if its allowed. If not please delete. And also its Paranoid Fabrications not Unique.

·
Part Deux
2001 WRXed Caged L
3,050 Posts
Wish I just bought a totaled STi, parked it next to my L and transferred everything to it that way. Would have been way cheaper and easier in the long run.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts