Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2001 2.5 RS Auto 4 Door
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Morning all,

Found your site and started to READ and use the Search function before asking anything AGAIN. New to Subies, but not to forums or cars.

I am a BMW Fanatic who needs an new beater.

I am looking into buying a bone stock 2001 2.5rs Sedan (GM6) with a 4EAT (Found the list of subie nomenclature :) ) that is for sale locally with 82K.

I need an auto for my daily grind on the parkway, stop and go all the way home so a 5 speed is not an option.

From looking around the site I know to look for oil in the spark plug galleys, head seep, VC leaks and park to drive problems at startup. Normal PPI stuff I am familiar with

Hoping to look at the car today, and leave a deposit if it checks out.

Pricing at $8,000 seems about right from my research, does this seem accurate?

It's a Silver car with black leather.

Just wanted to say thanks for the info.

·
OG GC
MY00 BRP RS...still adding to
4,471 Posts
Welcome! A bunch of good guys and gals...... ;)
$8000 sounds about right. Just remember that there is that ever-present problem with our wheel bearings. I know, I know...I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but it's a common occurrence with our cars. My understanding is that the new ones are much better. I have rex bearings in mine. LGTs are good, also.
Either way, enjoy your RS. Sure it's not a Beamer, but it is a lot of fun!! :banana:

·
Registered
2001 2.5 RS Auto 4 Door
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
MyBluFlameRS said:
Welcome! A bunch of good guys and gals...... ;)
$8000 sounds about right. Just remember that there is that ever-present problem with our wheel bearings. I know, I know...I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but it's a common occurrence with our cars. My understanding is that the new ones are much better. I have rex bearings in mine. LGTs are good, also.
Either way, enjoy your RS. Sure it's not a Beamer, but it is a lot of fun!! :banana:

Thanks for the additional info, another search for info on wheel bearings is in order.
I will do the obligatory wheel shake to check wheel bearings for play and listen for the shimming/grinding/shusshing noises during a test drive.

If that's the worst I'm looking at, no big thing. Wheel bearings are simple on the jack stands in the driveway repair.

EDIT!! What a PITA it is to do the wheel bearings in this car, good thing the one I am after is under extended warranty.

Found the wheel bearing thread in DIY section and it made me cry.

·
Super Moderator
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
Some things are tricky on Subarus, but on the other hand, many things are wonderfully simple.

Welcome to the coolest club around. :D

·
Registered
2001 2.5 RS Auto 4 Door
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Siper2 said:
Some things are tricky on Subarus, but on the other hand, many things are wonderfully simple.

Welcome to the coolest club around. :D
Yeah, boxer engines seem simple in some ways and easier to service than some cars.

As far as coolest club, I beg to differ. I'm sure this whole Scoobie thing is really swell but I bleed Blau mit Weiss for the BMWCCA. A pic of my true lust is attached below, in her element.

JK, There is a ton of info that has already been invaluable to me on this forum and I thank you all!

Tomorrow I am going for a test drive with a deposit in hand.

The best part is, the car is owned by a female cop who stated "Yeah, a thick folder of records, I'm kinda anal like that...."

Music to my ears.

update to follow, stay tuned.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 version6 1.8L turbo 08 WRX
2,359 Posts
lol, wheel bearings on these cars are simple.go to the local junkyard & pick up a hub, which is 3 bolts(2 14mm for the caliper & 36mm for the main bolt) remove the rotor & caliper and slide the hub out. do the same on your 2.5rs and put the new hub in. i feel so bad for taking my car to a shop for front wheel bearing because it cost 300 bucks. the rear, took 15 minutes and a 20 dollar part.

·
Registered
2001 2.5 RS Auto 4 Door
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imprezaL2345 said:
lol, wheel bearings on these cars are simple.go to the local junkyard & pick up a hub, which is 3 bolts(2 14mm for the caliper & 36mm for the main bolt) remove the rotor & caliper and slide the hub out. do the same on your 2.5rs and put the new hub in. i feel so bad for taking my car to a shop for front wheel bearing because it cost 300 bucks. the rear, took 15 minutes and a 20 dollar part.

Good stuff, one less headache to worry about. Thanks imprezal2345

·
OG GC
MY00 BRP RS...still adding to
4,471 Posts
Yeah, changing the bearings yourself sucks. Getting a new hub with it is by far the easiest thing to do. Some thing you may consider. Especially if it's been chewing thru for a while. I have a set of rex hubs along with the rex bearings.

·
Registered
2001 2.5 RS Auto 4 Door
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bump, I bought it. A 2001 Silverthorn with Black Leather, 82,000 miles from the original female owner.

$8,000 and a hand shake. Pick it up later this week.

Only needs a driver's door card and 2 foglight lenses. No rips, no tears.

Only thing that worried me is water in the jack well in the trunk. I'll check the seals and wheelwell openings and seal it up.

So, I guess you guys will be seeing more of me. Lucky bastards. :hydrogen:

·
Registered
2001 2.5 RS Auto 4 Door
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sleepless said:
haha, welcome to the suby community. now try and NOT mod your new toy ;)
Yeah right, like I need another car to dump money into.

I have a few things planned, sensible stuff like WRX brake upgrade and I'd like to add some ride height.

Some of the roads I drive on are like a rally special stage. Jumps bumps and craters out of nowhere. An inch or two of increased ride height sounds about right. Chuck on some nerf bars and it's golden.

See ya 'round.

Matt

·
Registered
BRP ver5 RSTi, Beater Leggy
370 Posts
Lol... ADD some ride height. Don't hear that too often, but I can understand where you're comin from. I've already lost a bumper lip due to the roads around here... and some carelessness on my part.

Welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
2001 2.5 RS Auto 4 Door
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imprezaL2345 said:
nice! You should pick up a set of Forester springs. :devil:

Hmm, I really have to spend some quality time here, Forester springs? Wow, I can get those for a song. I am sure there are a ton of OEM stock parts that will interchange.......I'm gonna wear out that search button.

Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
2001 2.5 RS Auto 4 Door
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imprezaL2345 said:
so, what's been going on with your car?
Threw some All Season Toyo TPTs on it today . They seem pretty good, but I won't really know till the mold release burns off.

They should be a good 3 seaon tire. I'll pick up some steelies with cheapo snows by the winter so these should be fine for my daily slog.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts