Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 A.W. L
13,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I would like to start a NEW swap parts/info thread. There is so much information on the forums that has either become outdated and/or lost.

So here is the plan.

If there is a swap that you have a good amount of info on. 20G, 20K, 205, 207, 257, eg33, transmission swaps etc. Please post up, once we get a good turnout I will move your post to a new thread. From there you and moderators can edit as we gather info.

Hopefully with 10 or so people working on the thread we can get farther than what just one person can.

What this will hopefully end up being is 1 thread with info and links to all the "common" swaps. Which can be updated as new info comes out.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,555 Posts
Go Turbo! Generic EJ turbo swap master parts list (borrowed from Atlas and updated with a lil' liltoua):
-Complete Motor (Complete, intake and exhaust manifolds, IC, turbo, etc-obvious stuff)
-Turbo Crossmember: The crossmember you choose determines the steering rack you must run. If you want to retain your steering rack, you must use a 2002-2005 WRX, 2004-05 STI, or turbo GC8 or turbo Legacy crossmember. From 2006+, the crossmembers are different and a matching steering rack must be used. (You can use the USDM WRX or STi X-member, but you will have to shim your control arms or run larger bushings such as these: http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Sup...-Bushings-Subaru-Models-inc-2002-2007-WRX-STI . The only direct bolt-on x-members are the true GC8 ones and the USDM Legacy turbo ones)
-Front Sway Bar: The front sway bar must match the control arms you are using. If you choose to run the GC or WRX wagon control arms and track width, you need to run either a USDM GG WRX wagon or GC8 turbo front sway bar.
-Full Exhaust (anything for a USDM 02-07 WRX/STI should work, some fit better than others and you will have to forgo a hanger on the axle back portion)
-Fuel Pump (Need at least a USDM WRX, I'd recommend a Walboro 255lph unit, because you'll probably need more fuel eventually )
-Fuel Pump Controller
-Full Merged Wiring Harness (This is everything from the harness on the intake manifold to the connectors for the o2 sensors, MAF, ECU, etc, to the plug in the rear harness for the fuel pump controller)
-WRX MAF sensor
-WRX O2 sensors
-WRX ECM
-WRX Powersteering assembly (You need the pump, remote reservoir, and the lines that connect this to the steering rack)
-Clutch (If you're re-using your factory NA transmission, you will need to re-use your NA flywheel as well, and get an upgraded NA clutch. I'd recommend a ACT or Spec clutch, I've heard good things about the AST ones too)
-Boost Control (Simplest is the factory boost solenoid w/ ristrictor pill, but if you plan on using certain aftermarket ECU management tools, like the UTEC, you can use the GM factory boost solenoid. It's a 3-way device found on the Typhoon and other forced GM vehichles.)

2002-2005 WRX EJ205, JDM EJ207 specific parts:
-WRX throttle cable (You need this for a perfect fit if you're swapping a car that was not DOHC from the factory)

2006-2007 WRX EJ255, 2004-2007 WRX STI EJ257 specific parts (borrowed from BRZCory):
-WRX/STI drive by wire pedal assembly
-WRX/STI drive by wire pedal adapter bracket from the Subaru Baja, part number 36020AE130
-Specific car key matching the ECU: This is for the immobilizer system. People typically mount the immobilizer chip next to the reader, whether it be on the steering column or elsewhere. Without this, the car will need to be taken to a dealer have the ECU paired with a new key. The 2004 is the only drive by wire car that is exempt from this.

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,700 Posts
36020AE130

Part number for the DBW pedal bracket. $15 at the dealership, $45 at ECS. You decide.

Used when swapping in an 04-05 STi engine (DBW engine/ecu) into an RS chassis. You need to use the STi pedal, but it doesn't bolt in directly to the RS mount, hence this adapter bracket! Originally seen on the Baha! Because it's that awesome!

·
Registered
01 Impreza 2.5RS, 95 Civic VX
3,762 Posts
36020AE130

Part number for the DBW pedal bracket. $15 at the dealership, $45 at ECS. You decide.

Used when swapping in an 04-05 STi engine (DBW engine/ecu) into an RS chassis. You need to use the STi pedal, but it doesn't bolt in directly to the RS mount, hence this adapter bracket! Originally seen on the Baha! Because it's that awesome!
:clap:

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
1,471 Posts

·
Registered
R56 Cooper S
1,046 Posts
36020AE130

I know you specified 04-05, but I just wanted to make it completely apparent that this does NOT fit an 06-07 DBW pedal (the all plastic one).

Also, for anyone wanting to use the 06-07 Flywheel/Clutch combo on your stock RS transmission, you will require:
- 06-07 Flywheel
- 06-07 Clutch set
- 06-07 Clutch fork (30531AA180)
- Most likely you will need to shave some of the ribbing inside the transmission bell housing so the fork doesn't hit or interfere with anything, as shown below (sorry for the crappy pic).

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,555 Posts
I made the bracket work with my '07 WRX pedal with a Dremel tool and a drill. It doesn't bolt right up, but is still a good solution.

·
Registered
R56 Cooper S
1,046 Posts
I made the bracket work with my '07 WRX pedal with a Dremel tool and a drill. It doesn't bolt right up, but is still a good solution.
I actually have one that I've been trying to figure out how to make work. I've dremeled off some of the extra ribbing to make room for the bolt and nut, but i think i might still need to cut some more material off. So far my pedals just been hanging out with one bolt in the stock location.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,555 Posts
I had that for a couple years too. I dremeled out some room for one of the two bolts heads to go into the chassis, then drilled a hole in the pedal itself for it to sit over the stud. A nut held the pedal to the top stud. I'll try to get pictures of it sometime, but it's in the stock location with my modification.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S Premium
179 Posts
When swapping in an '04 EJ257 (not sure of same for others) I encountered only two clearance issues.

The first was the top most line coming out of the RS A/C pump hits the intake manifold. It's not by much and can easily be bent to clear.

The other is the oil cooler line (just below the timing cover) hitting the oem RS fan housing. Again, this interference is minimal and the line can be slightly bent to solve the issue.

Other than that everything else is will fit perfectly.

Edit: I did have to trim a little of the exhaust shield to clear the STI rear o2 sensor as it exits from the opposite side of the cat.

·
Registered
'01 RS '06 WRX swapped
297 Posts
I had that for a couple years too. I dremeled out some room for one of the two bolts heads to go into the chassis, then drilled a hole in the pedal itself for it to sit over the stud. A nut held the pedal to the top stud. I'll try to get pictures of it sometime, but it's in the stock location with my modification.
I'd greatly appreciate some pictures and information on this!

·
Registered
2001 Forester S Premium
179 Posts
Also would like to add:

GC front-lower control arm bushings can be pressed into GD control arms and visa/versa. I feel this is a better solution to the washer/spacer method.

The GD bushing itself is approximately 6mm wider than the GC. This is what prevents the arms from fitting into the GC crossmember. This is also the reason for GC arms requiring spacers to fit GD crossmembers.

With that said...it is concluded that the front bushing should probably match the crossmember you will be using.

I hope I didn't add more confusion!

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,172 Posts
For wrx swaps using a N/A radiAtor you need custom lines and either have to trim your upper radiator hose to fit or get a universal one and make it fit.

·
Registered
R56 Cooper S
1,046 Posts
For 06-07 WRX swappers who are attempting to retain the use of their cruise control.

For cruise control to work properly, the Neutral Safety Switch on the transmission needs to be swapped out for the 06-07 unit.

Symptom: The cruise control on this swap will either very intermittently (because of an old worn out NSS), or the cruise control will not work at all. You can get the cruise control to enable only when the car is in Neutral.

Reason: The contacts inside the RS and 06WRX NSS are opposite of eachother. In other words, for one vehicle, the switch is normally open. For the other, it is normally closed.

In essence, what's going on is when the car is in gear, the oppositely wired switch makes the car thinks it's in neutral, and vice versa.

Solution: Change your Neutral Safety Switch to the 06-07 WRX version..

Part number: 32008AA151

Note: The wire on the 06 switch is extremely short. You will be required to cut and splice the 06 switch to the wires of your original, to get the proper length.

·
Registered
07 2.5i Wagon
72 Posts
-Clutch (If you're re-using your factory NA transmission, you will need to re-use your NA flywheel as well, and get an upgraded NA clutch. I'd recommend a ACT or Spec clutch, I've heard good things about the AST ones too)
- Quoted from Combat Chuck

This entire question relates to swapping a USDM 2001 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe (GM8 Chassis code I believe)

From what I read here, it seems to me that the NA transmission from my GM8 will work for the swap, and if I keep it, I don't have to change my rear diff.

The questions are:
- If i keep my stock NA transmission, do I also keep my rear diff?
- Will the NA transmission be able to handle the power of the WRX or STI motor that will be swapped in?
- If I decide to swap out the transmission for a matching WRX or STI transmission (matching to the engine that is), do I also need a matching rear diff?

Thanks! :D

·
Registered
Bugeye and STiL
587 Posts
- Quoted from Combat Chuck

This entire question relates to swapping a USDM 2001 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe (GM8 Chassis code I believe)

From what I read here, it seems to me that the NA transmission from my GM8 will work for the swap, and if I keep it, I don't have to change my rear diff.

The questions are:
- If i keep my stock NA transmission, do I also keep my rear diff?
- Will the NA transmission be able to handle the power of the WRX or STI motor that will be swapped in?
- If I decide to swap out the transmission for a matching WRX or STI transmission (matching to the engine that is), do I also need a matching rear diff?

Thanks! :D
-yes
-yes, how long it lasts depends on how you drive it.
-yes

you can use any diff you want with any trans as long as the gear ratios match front to rear you are fine.

·
Registered
01 Impreza 2.5RS, 95 Civic VX
3,762 Posts
Just to let everyone know. The dbw adapter plate has been discounted. Subaru no longer can get it.

Time for some diy.

·
Registered
White 1999 RSTI
48 Posts
Whiteline sells several different swaybars for the Wagon. Which one works best for a GD subframe and JDM GC8 arms? I understand I need the larger late model GD bushings with the GC armsbut the sway confuses me, I'm looking at BSF12Z - good one for this? 2K6 STi subframe.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,555 Posts
I'm using a 2007 WRX cross member and a GD wagon front sway. The biggest difference between wagon sway bars as I can tell is the bushing type. The Whiteline BSF12Z you listed will work.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts