Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently was searching for a quick car to fix, drive for the winter then flip in the spring. Well I came across this little lady a 2000 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe with 170k. Found it on Milwaukee Craigslist and was up for a month! No idea why no one bothered to snatch it up but I did. I got a great price on it being that the head gasket on the drivers side was bad, but it still started up and seemed to run decent. It had the typical rust but that was to be expected. Other things that were broken were the drivers window regulator, rear tail light, and AC. Missing parts were just the hood scoop blocking plate.

Anyhow I decided to get this thing running and did so in a few short days. Pulled the heads and found the factory head bolts (the heads were taken off before from a snapped timing belt) :screwy: THe engine was leaking like a sieve since it had the original valve cover gaskets, spark plug, and valve cover bolt gaskets. So I got the heads pressure and vac checked and decked, changed timing belt, pulleys, tensioner, all head bolts gaskets, etc. Engine still had perfect cross hatching so that made me happy :D All in all the car runs like a champ and I will let the picks speak for themselves.

The day I bought it.

Fairly dirty interior

Eww look at that blue! Its got to go

Came with headers!

Looks so tiny :lol:

Find the leak!!

This is how to get the drivers side head in without removing the engine :D

As you can see I already started repainting engine parts.

New triple layer head gaskets with copper spray.

Messy aftermath.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,322 Posts
FIRST!!!
Great find dude. Looks like you've worked on subaru a before or are at least pretty mechanically inclined. Hope you enjoy it. Are you still planning to flip the car after all that work?

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks! Yah this is my second Subaru and im fairly good mechanically but this is the first time I tore into a Subaru to this level. I really love this car as a DD so im not sure ill ever sell it.... At least for awhile im kind of collecting Subarus now:lol: I also have a mucho modded 02 WRX wagon and just bought one of the last 2014 STI hatch's. Might have plans to turn the RS into a Rally America car down the road.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are some pics after I have had my way with it ;) I dont have any pics of after I took a good buffing to it but oh well those will come later. Needs rust repair yet but that will wait until spring time.

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS SRP
162 Posts
Nice work, man. I need to learn how to get to the head gasket without taking the engine out lol. I have a feeling my new SRP sedan will need it in the next couple years ahhhh.

·
Registered
1998, RS, Rally Blue 2.0 EJ20K
374 Posts
I almost bought this vehicle! I was worried I wasn't going to be able to get it back to madison so I bought something local. Glad it found a good home. :)

·
Registered
'01 RS '06 WRX swapped
297 Posts
Factory head bolts are often reused in Subarus.

Either way, looks good.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice work, man. I need to learn how to get to the head gasket without taking the engine out lol. I have a feeling my new SRP sedan will need it in the next couple years ahhhh.
Its not too bad just need to loosen the engine, pitch stop and trans mounts. Good luck!

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,322 Posts
I'm not sure exactly which EJ25 you got there, but I have an EJ253 that I've re-used the head bolts on, twice. no leaky head gaskets.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some updates on the rust :( I need opinions on this. Is it worth repairing the rust on these rear quarters or do I go with a cheaper 22b widebody kit? There are also quite a few dents and dings on the front and rear quarters. The California body kits (looks like the AIT kits)

·
Registered
2000 2.5rs
31 Posts
That's what I did. I went with the AIT kit and it all came out to about $650 but after going to the dealers parts site I found the rear quarters are $390 each. In retrospect, I would have gone with the oem parts but the installation is very involved.

If you do decide to go with the AIT kit, make sure you remove all of the existing rust and ospho/epoxy primer any bare metal. Good luck with the build and keep up the good work.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sweet! I checked out your thread, and it looks good. Have any other pictures? Are wheel well openings the same basic size of the stock ones? I plan on using the stock wheels but using spacer blocks to give it a stock look but do a double take "What did I just see"? lol

·
Registered
374 Posts
hey sleeper, i'm interested in getting a 22b kit but I have no skills in the body mods department. Are you going to be doing the work yourself? Are you interested in some sidework? If so what kind of cost would it be?
I only ask since you are near me :D

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Id be doing alot of the work myself. I am in no way a body man but I give everything a shot at least once. I unfortunately hate body work so I woulden't want any side work. Sorry. I did just post the car for sale and HOLY COW people want this thing bad! Had it up since 12 today and I have had 13 contacts about it and a few guys fighting over it. Is this going to be one of those cars I look back on in 20 years and wish I kept it as a collector?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Id be doing alot of the work myself. I am in no way a body man but I give everything a shot at least once. I unfortunately hate body work so I woulden't want any side work. Sorry. I did just post the car for sale and HOLY COW people want this thing bad! Had it up since 12 today and I have had 13 contacts about it and a few guys fighting over it. Is this going to be one of those cars I look back on in 20 years and wish I kept it as a collector?
heh I see you in the MSC ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts