Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Subaru Impreza RS 2001
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Subaru Impreza RS 2.5 2001 and I need some help/ pointers on how to make it fast. Of course a Subaru is not a Subaru without a turbo. Any ideas or suggestions such as engine swaps and all of that good stuff? Thank you !

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
366 Posts
What's your budget, and what's your experience level working on cars?

If you're good at wrenching, and get deals all day long, I bet you can get a basic 2.0L wrx swap done for $3k. If you can't wrench, or don't have the space and tools, I bet it would be double that.

·
Registered
Subaru Impreza RS 2001
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have someone with experience in cars and a budget of $4k. Any specific engines that will fit ? Thank you !

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
366 Posts
Yes, 2002-2005 American WRX, send the dash harness from that car + your car to Iwire for the merge. I believe they charge ~ $800 for that engine's wiring merge (it's the cheapest one they offer).

You'll want to do a timing belt/water pump job and replace all the seals on the engine while it's out.

Other engines can work and will bolt in, but the prices can go up significantly, both for the hardware and the electrical work.

·
Registered
2002 WRX
76 Posts
4K is not a huge amount to work with considering what you want to do.

You can make the car go faster but then there are the other things that go with that like:
- make the car stop faster
- make the car handle better
- will your current transmission / rear diff take the additional power
- will your current driveshaft fit
- the list goes on but those are the major ones.

As far as which motors, any of the 2.0L and 2.5L should be a bolt in. It's done all the time.
It's the cost of the motor that makes the big difference.
The fact you have some to wrench for you will help, depending on what they will charge you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts