Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I just found this site and forum on altavista search engine. I am 14 and very likely to end up with a 97=01 2.5 RS next year when i get my permit and license. I live in Mississippi, but I'm not a red neck. :) My hobbies are Nitro powered R/c cars. and electronics. I got a few questions for you people. 1.Where can I get a turbo *possibly kit* for a 2.5 RS. 2.How much? 3.How hard to install it? 4.Is it safe to run a turbo on the 2.5? 5.How much boost would keep reliability up and speed up. 6.Any good suspinsion Items I should know about? Thanks see you guys later.

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
Welcome to the club! Oh, and if you get a 97 2.5RS, you will have a very rare car, since they didn't come out until the 98 model year;) As for turbo's and kits, there are several options. I'm in the process of building a kit from a WRX turbo, Saab 900 intercooler, Eclipse blowoff valve, and then subachad's tubing. Going to be cheaper than buying a pre-made kit, but then again, most of the parts are going to be used (I love eBay!). Now, as for kits, there are the Forced Air Technologies kits: http://www.forcedairtech.com/ , the LUDESpeed kits: http://ludespeed.com/products/subaru/impreza.html , and then Templer on this ver board is getting very close to releasing his superchargr kit for the 2.5. So there are plenty of options for that, that's for sure! As for safety, if you are staying on stock internals, I think 5-6 psi is fairly safe. Biggest concern is the transmission, as in the manual tends to gernade after about 250hp (if you don't drive carefully), while the automatic can easily handle up to 350hp. As for suspension bits, there are lots of different setups for different applications. A bigger rear swaybar, solid endlinks, and strut tower bars are all good, and work with all the other setups. By the way, nice choice for a first car, just be carefull with it, we don't need you hopping it all up and doing stupid stuff on the streets. Sure, it's kind of fun, but just keep it on the track, that won't get you in trouble or endanger other people. Anyways, hope all this helps, and if you have other questions, don't forget to search, there's already tons of info here, and anything you don't find will show up if you ask a question. Have fun, and drive safe!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Humm Thanks Man. I think I saw a 97 RS on ebay or sumtin lol it was probally a fake or typo or either I am really tired. Thats weird how the suto can handle more power than the manual. Any way to tuffin up the M/T? I'm not looking for to much power......I don't wanna rack up the speeding tickets. I was gonna try to run like 220 hp on the street and 300-320 at the drag strip and autocross. What usally breaks in the manual tranny? I'll check back here later! cya

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
The big killer of the gears in the manual is the torque coupled with the AWD system. In a FWD or RWD car, if you drop the clutch or give it too much power, the wheels will spin to get rid of the extra power. But with the AWD, there is so much traction that the wheels won't spin, and the shock will be absorbed by the driveline, and due to the way the tranny is built, 2nd gear usually is the part that ends up going. One thing that can be done is to swap the stock mainshaft of the tranny with the mainshaft from a Legacy turbo. It's better suited to the extra power, as it came from a turbo'd car to begin with. But you have to have a 1st gen tranny case to do the swap, so I guess that if you get a 98 or 99 RS, you should be able to do it easily. And Larry at www.imprezars.com sells a Chalak heavy-duty sychro'd gearset that will hold up to about 450 hp, and I believe it's a direct swap with the guts of the manual, and no machining needed on the case. but I'm not sure about that. I'd like to get that set, but the price on it is a touch over $2k:eek: But for the power you are looking at for street driving, you should be fine as long as you don't do 5k clutch dumps and speedshift. Remember, with the AWD, a little clutch slipping on the launch is good, as it's much easier and cheaper to replace the clutch than the gearset. And for the power you are looking at for track days, you might be ok as long as you are easy on the launces, and don't shift too quickly (gotta give the synchros time to mesh up). Hope this helps some! Oh, and the website I gave you above, look through there, he sells all sorts of stuff for the RS, and he's a great guy to do business with.

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Not a good idea - too much slippage will cause excess heat, stink, and getting stuck. Just use your foot and ease it into gear on hard launches. Just don't dump the clutch by taking your foot off it.

The auto can handle more power because the gears inside are massive. Last I heard the auto was good for upwards of 800 HP. :eek:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Don't get me wrong or anything, But I think you need to learn how to drive before you do all these mods to this car. You are going to either hurt the car, yourself, or other peoples property. And why would you want that much horepower at an AutoX, then you will be in the open class getting your butt kicked! These cars are fast enough if you learn how to drive them. I have beaten multiple WRX's with my stock RS. You just have to be a good driver. Which takes time, and you have plenty of that ahead of you since you aren't even 16 yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes driving skillz I must better on. Just checking up on things I can do to a car when I feel I'm capable and ready for the extra boost of speed.

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
To hell with that! I got a Typhoon and can't drive it for shit, nearly wrecked it twice, but it is still fun. And just like any car, you learn to drive it after you put the mods on. Heck, was I supposed to learn how to drive my RS with a 21mm rear sway bar BEFORE I put the sway bar on??? How do you do that? :confused:

Just playing devil's advocate here... :devil:

·
Registered
50 Posts
That is exactly why I like to race people like you! I can take my 170 HP car and beat up on people with almost twice the HP. Only because I have the experiance and know how to drive. I also have a 82 RX-7 race car (spec-7). This car will teach you how to drive fast. You can't let this car slow down because if you lose momentum, it takes a hell of a long time to get it back. And shoot, I'm only 27, I guess all I can do is get faster.:devil:

All I wanna say, is that if this kid tries to learn how to drive with all that power and a 21 MM rear bar and he gets into trouble, he might find out what "Sanp-oversteer" is. I have seen it happen personally to a friend of mine going 80 down the freeway, wasn't pretty when he spun across 3 lanes and rolled onto the drivers side. So PLEASE learn how to drive and then slowly do Mods to increase your quickness.

·
Registered
MY00 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS BRP
2,605 Posts
this is what I've been doing... race autox/rallyx/road rally as much as possible. Learn (on paper) what each mod could do to your car. Eventually your car will tell you what she needs! :D After 2 months she told me she wanted tires... R1 lasted for 6 events now on Falken. After few more month she wanted rsb, so I gave her 17mm. Now she is asking for 20mm rsb. Oh almost forgot, she was bitching about pedals for heal-toe. :lol: I've been doing autox for 1 1/2 and that's all I have.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts