Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im new to the forum. Im looking for a 98-00rs with swap engine, however, what do i need to know before buying one and where to look for one? Since not a lot of the rs are with swap engine. Also how much is it to get a decent one?

thx

·
Registered
'99 Hybrid RS Coupe
2,719 Posts
A turbo'd car may not be the best first vehicle. Just something to think about.

·
Premium Member
95 L-STi
433 Posts
^ I agree, also just search around the site there's numerous threads explaining everything your looking to know.

·
Registered
01 RS w/ 2.1 stroker ej205
2,176 Posts
well i would go with an all stock car first. That would be my preference. Especially if the engine is all stock. Its much cheaper.. and easier to handle the information given to you from the owner.

And if you are a terrific driver who has driven an awd car with lots of boost ...then maybe you can go for it. But if not experienced at all.. well say just go for the N/A engine. Trust... i've seen a lot of young people f-up their car jst because they didnt know crap on how to drive turbo cars.

·
Registered
2000 BRP 2.5RS Coupe
5 Posts
Buy a stock RS, get some experience, and then swap it yourself.

Modified cars are going to have some issues, problems, and hiccups along the way. That's just the nature of the beast. When you buy someone else's project and there's an issue, you didn't do the install so you don't know what the hell's going on. If you do the swap you A) learn about your car and how it works, and B) know how to fix problems when they come along because you're the one who did the work in the first place.

From an intrinsic standpoint, its just more fullfilling to know that you built your own car. Its always disappointing to meet people with nicely modified cars who can't answer why they went a certain direction in the tuning or why they chose this part over that part beyond "that's what the shop told me" or "because its this brand."

Good luck.

edit: On another note, its sometimes hard enough to spot issues and problems on a used car even when stock. Add the fact that its been heavily modified and you may be setting yourself up for heartbreak.

·
Registered
01 RS w/ 2.1 stroker ej205
2,176 Posts
Buy a stock RS, get some experience, and then swap it yourself.

From an intrinsic standpoint, its just more fullfilling to know that you built your own car. Its always disappointing to meet people with nicely modified cars who can't answer why they went a certain direction in the tuning or why they chose this part over that part beyond "that's what the shop told me" or "because its this brand."

edit: On another note, its sometimes hard enough to spot issues and problems on a used car even when stock. Add the fact that its been heavily modified and you may be setting yourself up for heartbreak.
very true. ask around ...not just subarus look at the hondas or rice rockets... i am sure buying a stock is much more simple and easy to deal with than buying a modded car.

·
Registered
2005 STi with a 1999 RS shell
646 Posts
Mello,
I'd have to say learning these cars first with 165ish horsepower is a much eaiser/safer learning curve than that of a turbo'd RS or WRX/STi swap! These cars have the ability to get you into alot of trouble IE: drifts, spins, whatever you may have the balls to try... QUICKLY and back out again due to the AWD and great chassis characteristics. However, if you don't have the experience built by learning the vehicle at slower speeds and lesser horsepower the only thing that'll be pulling you and your car out of trouble may just be EMTs and a tow truck!

My personal advice would be find a nice fairly stock RS (as I don't think there are any stock ones left) and drive it for a winter with some quality snow tires on it (if you live in snow country) Blizzak or X-Ice will do nicely. This way you can learn the cars ability to recover from spins, slides, and over all lack of traction which will help after you bulid your 450 AWHP STi motor and try launching it in the rain which will wander all over till it grabs traction and takes off like a rocket!..

Welcome to the Subaru Family!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts