Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Dodge Neon turbo 4cyl (don't laugh)

http://www.edmunds.com/news/autoshows/articles/48582/page010.html

Someone else also had a review of this thing and they were fairly impressed with it, don't have that link handy anymore. It looks to be a formidable car. Keeping the FF drivetrain under control would be the biggest hassle, but other than that.... :)

I'm intrigued by it; anyone remember the Dodge Shadow ES by chance? Wish I could go test drive one, have to wait several months for that though.....

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
i've said it before and i'll say it again. fwd with an open diff (esp. w/those output #s) is absolutely worthless. granted, i'm still worried about running against the ACR next season in auto-x, but still. give me an ITR or SE-R spec-v anyday (as far as fwd is concerned ;) )

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yet another reason why I would want to go drive one before making any sort of assumptions about it; numbers on paper are just a starting point, not an absolute. :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Jeff... if I had had my old SPG at Cherokee Trails you wouldn't say that about FWD with an open diff.... :devil: :devil: :lol: I was struggling with the 125hp limitation! I liked it better with 280+!

·
Registered
470 Posts
I never liked the body style of the new NEONS. REX owners are going to have to do some body work when this car comes out.[/qupte]
More like Neon owners will need to do some body work. The front fascia is U*G *L*Y IMO. :lol:

DC should have taken styling cues from the Viper concept and incorporated angular trapazoidal headlamps instead of the oval ones that are on it.

I still believe it'll be a fun Grp. 5 rally car. :D

-mykr.™

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
It's not as new as we think. DC (Daimler-Chrysler) has been putting the 2.4turbo in a Stratus in the Mexican market (called the Phantom) for awhile now. We (MOPAR fans) have been pleading for them to bring it here for a long time and it seems that they finally listened. I admit that I didn't read the link, but if it's the same info I've been reading for the last 2 years...they finally got the drivability and some cooling issues sorted and HOPEFULLY abandoned the supercharger project of the Neon ricemobile concept they were testing last year.

I sold my 94 Shadow ES last year after buying my scoobie. Too much torque and not enough traction. It only had the "bastard" 3.0V6 (DSM made) that ate civics regularly and the occasional Mustang. Though any Shadow/Sundance/Duster with a 2.5lsuper60 setup is just phenomanal! Gotta have a LSD though or stick to the trackdays where you can roll into the throttle as opposed to the violent transitions of autocross or drag racing!

DrBiggly said:
New Dodge Neon turbo 4cyl (don't laugh)

http://www.edmunds.com/news/autoshows/articles/48582/page010.html

Someone else also had a review of this thing and they were fairly impressed with it, don't have that link handy anymore. It looks to be a formidable car. Keeping the FF drivetrain under control would be the biggest hassle, but other than that.... :)

I'm intrigued by it; anyone remember the Dodge Shadow ES by chance? Wish I could go test drive one, have to wait several months for that though.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts