Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this weekend I might be getting a new car. The “might” is where you people come in. I know I want a Subaru, no question there, but what I don’t know is if I should get a WRX or a 2000-2001 2.5 RS. I have the money now to get a WRX, but that leaves me with very little cash to do modifications to it. I do like the stock power you get with the 227hp WRX, yet the low end is a little, hesitant, to say the least, (that’s where mods come in) but still, great car. However a thought came to me the other day, I could get a 2000-2001 2.5 RS which I love the body style of, more then the WRX, but the WRX is second only to the 2.5 RS in looks in my opinion. And I could probably get the 2.5 RS with under 20k miles for 14k to 16k (if I’m wrong on this assumption, please tell me) With the left over money I could do various modifications to the RS. One thing I am worried about is that the RS will not have enough power stock, and I’m also worried that even with modifications it still wont. I know with enough money you can make a car literally fly, but I want to stay on the realistic side of things. On average how much money would it take (and with what mods) to give the RS the “throw your ass in your seat” kind of action the WRX does? Or is this too far fetched? Also I know I can slap a turbo on the RS, but that is something I do not want, I want to be “Normally Aspirated” if you will. And I want the car to last, yet still have the power I’m looking for. So get the WRX now and start having fun, or wait and search for a used RS and maybe get more fun?

I’m not looking for “go drive them both and get what YOU want”, I can’t drive a well modified RS. Ultimately I am going to get what I want, I just want opinions from the experienced, you guy and gals. And please don’t start a fight over this topic I just want some info.

-Sandman

P.S. sorry I went on forever, but thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
2001 Magic Mobile
938 Posts
Sandman said:
Also I know I can slap a turbo on the RS, but that is something I do not want, I want to be “Normally Aspirated” if you will.
If you want to be normally aspirated, you'd have to get the RS. Not sure why you put quotations around that.. Did you have some other meaning? :confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used quotations because I've never used that term myself, I got it from this site, just seemed right...

And as far as the turbo, I ment if I got the RS I wouldnt want to put a turbo on it, but I wouldnt mind having a stock turbo on the WRX, which was built for the turbo.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I'd hold out a while longer if you can and get the redesigned WRX when it comes out. It looks so much better then the 02WRXs. However you can get some deals on peoples used 2.5RS's. Hell you can find deals on peoples used 2.5RS-Ts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm more concerned with the power of the 2.5 RS, does it have enough when you modify it? or even stock?

And as far as the design of the WRX, I like the current one, and I'm planning on getting a car within the next month. And yes I've seen the redesigned WRX.

Its just I can get a WRX this weekend or wait a few weeks for a used 2.5 RS. Decisions decisions... any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1995 AWD Brilliant Red Subaru
723 Posts
Well, i don't have a car yet, me being 16 and all, but I definetly want a 2.5rs. There are a bunch of reasons why. #1. The pre-2002(U.S) looks soo much better than the WRX. ALthough i do like the WRX's looks, the RS is just so much easier on the eyes. #2. The RS is lighter than the WRX. I believe its about 300-400 pounds lighter. Correct me if i'm wrong, i'm not exactly sure. But weight is very important to me. It means that with less power, u can go the same speed as a heavier car with more horses. ALso, a lighter car means it can stop faster and should be alittle more agile.#3. The WRX(from what i hear) Has no bottom end. I guess thats fine for people who like to just be going fast and don't care how they get going. But I like torque. Torque is what jerks your head when u take off from a red light. Torque is leverage. Having a low-end allows u to have a lot of fun at lower speeds. Having a good amount of torque is also nice if ur gonna auto-x. Without it, ur constantly waiting for the turbo to spool up. As an elder i know always says "there is no replacement for displacement". #4 The RS is cheaper, and the money saved from not buying a WRX allows u to moddify the RS. Putting a turbo on an rs allows u to easily overcome stock and lightly modified WRX's. ANd when i say turbo, i mean a turbo and everything else u need to make it dependable and safe. This means not cutting any corners. This also means upgrading the handling and braking to. When ur done, it should cost u about the same amount as a WRX, but your car will look, handle, and drive alot better than a Rex IMHO.

·
Registered
392 Posts
i got my rs when i started driving and i was really lucky to have a kick ass job that could support it. I'd say a baseline rs has enough fun appeal to last you quite a long time. I've had mine for almost two years and i'm just starting to figure out what i actually "need" to make the car better in my mind. I like the wrx for a number of reasons but i never had the fun i can have in a rs. The rs's torque and eagerness to play is so much better than having to wait for turbo lag..

also as a new driver.. having a wrx won't help staying under the speedlimit. All the fun i have with the rs i can do sub-speedlimit. Wrx's just lack the low down playablity that i've come to love about my rs.

even if i could trade my rs in for a brand new wrx no hassle or anything i woudln't do it. PERIOD... i can't afford speeding tickets and i like to be a bit different than the next guy.. if you do too go with the rs..

power, fun, and the fact that you'd have one big 4 cylinder :D

·
Registered
286 Posts
If it was me....shit. I have no idea. I am a die-hard GC8 fan..but I also love driving new cars. New cars have that smell....and doors that close with a rewarding thud. And when you turn on some music...you can actually hear it above the road noise..then add 227hp from the factory that you can be sure isn't riding the ragged edge. Tough decision. If only Subaru brought the original body style WRX over here. I really think that the new body design was the stupidest thing they have done. They could easily have updated the look and stiffened the chassis while keeping the GC8 styling. *sigh*

-Andy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts