Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 2.5rs wagon
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! so the alternator is making a grinding noise on my impreza. I was wondering if i should buy a new one from rock auto or get the one i have rebuilt? i could swap it for a sti one since i saw a couple of people doing it?
Its a 2005 impreza 2.5rs if it can help! thanks!!

·
Registered
2005 2.5rs wagon
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I always buy new, if you swap to the sti one it does have a higher power rating.
Alright! and when you buy new, do you buy the subaru brand or any other regular brand does the job? i saw a couple of threads say that any other brands (except for subaru) will probably give some more problems with it. if no i’ll probably but an AcDelco from rockauto

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
806 Posts
Might as well go new, there more and more reducing in price with sites like rockauto.com . If you "upgrade" to something with more oomff, just double check the connector/plug is the same as what's in the engine's wiring harness. Otherwise you might have to source and swap the plug over...

·
Registered
98RS, 98RS, 99RS, 99L
354 Posts
Alright! and when you buy new, do you buy the subaru brand or any other regular brand does the job? i saw a couple of threads say that any other brands (except for subaru) will probably give some more problems with it. if no i’ll probably but an AcDelco from rockauto
I buy rockauto parts for my cars and theyve been great. I always research the brand name because sometimes they list literally the same exact part at two different prices and you can save decent money going with an unknown brand. This isnt always the case but it does happen occasionally. ACDELCO is a good trusted brand, I would be happy with any of their electrical products. I made it cross-country a month ago on their starter/alternator combo, no problems.

·
Registered
2005 2.5rs wagon
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I buy rockauto parts for my cars and theyve been great. I always research the brand name because sometimes they list literally the same exact part at two different prices and you can save decent money going with an unknown brand. This isnt always the case but it does happen occasionally. ACDELCO is a good trusted brand, I would be happy with any of their electrical products. I made it cross-country a month ago on their starter/alternator combo, no problems.
Ok perfect! thanks alot! i was hesitating with a new ACDELCO or a refurbished BOSH but i’ll buy the ACDELCO one brand new and its getting pretty cheap!!

·
Registered
2015 Impreza seda
24 Posts
how did the purchase go op? when it comes to these things i just always buy new. had a bad experience before so i just go new and bite the bullet of cost.

·
Registered
2005 2.5rs wagon
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how did the purchase go op? when it comes to these things i just always buy new. had a bad experience before so i just go new and bite the bullet of cost.
It went well! i baught a brand new one from rockauto and installed it! everything went great but i found out that the actual problem was my ac compressor. It does the same grinding noise as a worn out alternator, and since both are side by side, it was kind of hard to actually know wich was doing the noise.

·
Registered
07OBS
79 Posts
It went well! i baught a brand new one from rockauto and installed it! everything went great but i found out that the actual problem was my ac compressor. It does the same grinding noise as a worn out alternator, and since both are side by side, it was kind of hard to actually know wich was doing the noise.
You can use a long screwdriver as a stethoscope and put it near the bearing (BE CAREFUL) to determine which bearing is making the grind. Put your ear on the handle and listen you'll hear it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts