Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Subaru 2.5 RS-T BRP
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so the OEM alarm has been acting up on me for almost 2 years now, and I got tired and removed it. It would go off with GM cars randomly... so no more...

The question is, what good alarms are there?

I've read Compustar & Viper... but those were old posts...

Any recommendations? Not looking for remote starting or anything fancy like that... I did read that one of the vipers has a turbo timer???? that could be useful..

anyway... any info is appreciated..

Thanks

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,236 Posts
I put a Viper 560XV into by my 00RS and my Wifes FXT. That way I can program each of our key-fobs to operate both cars! No need for 2 fobs for 2 cars. :D The range is quite good too. I can start my car from the 8th floor of our office. The FXT had the factory subaru alarm and keyless in it, but my RS didn't. Using the wiring diagram for the factory alarm, and a few relays, installing the Viper in the FXT was a snap. All the hookups were made into the harness where the factory alarm and keyless entry moduels were removed. Ok, I had to run some wires to the drivers side for the Remote Start to work. In my RS, I had removed an old Clifford alarm, so I installed the Viper in it's place.

·
Registered
2000 2.5Rs Charcoal Grey
148 Posts
I used a Viper 690 on my wrx and was happy with it.

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,236 Posts
I choose the viper for some very simple reasons.
1. low cost.
2. Have had and installed other DEI products in the past and was happy with them all.
3. Key-Fob works in other DEI alarms.
4. I had access to the install manual ahead of time to plan my install.

I chose the 560 for it's price, it had remote start, and enough channels on the remote to operate 2 cars easily. Also, because I was going to be doing the install, the Viper alarm was easy to find. Not all alarms can be purchased outside of an official retailer.

I'm not saying the 560 is the best choice for you, or even the best alarm. It was however the best choice to fit MY needs.

·
Part Deux
2001 WRXed Caged L
3,086 Posts
I choose the viper for some very simple reasons.
1. low cost.
2. Have had and installed other DEI products in the past and was happy with them all.
3. Key-Fob works in other DEI alarms.
4. I had access to the install manual ahead of time to plan my install.

I chose the 560 for it's price, it had remote start, and enough channels on the remote to operate 2 cars easily. Also, because I was going to be doing the install, the Viper alarm was easy to find. Not all alarms can be purchased outside of an official retailer.

I'm not saying the 560 is the best choice for you, or even the best alarm. It was however the best choice to fit MY needs.
To add what Skidd said...

If you don't have a authorized installer do the install most of the time they will not warranty the alarm as well.

I'm not sure if Viper has a keyfob that will tell you if your car is getting broken into or not...

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,236 Posts
What noTe said. I have no warranty with my alaram. But, since I used to be an installer, and the parts are cheap, I wasn't worried about it.

Actually, Viper does have one that does that now. I was too cheap to get that model.

·
Registered
2001 Subaru 2.5 RS-T BRP
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright then... I guess I have two alarms to look into...

Thanks for the info. I found a dealer close by that has them both so I'll go check them out..

Thanks again

·
JBCUSTOMS
2001 Impreza 2.5RS STM
2,486 Posts
I want an alarm that if it goes off, then is bypassed by a theif... that the car will fill up with tear gas... who makes one of those?

·
Part Deux
2001 WRXed Caged L
3,086 Posts
I want an alarm that if it goes off, then is bypassed by a theif... that the car will fill up with tear gas... who makes one of those?
Uhh.. I haven't heard of tear gas but I know of a alarm that fills your car full of fog so they can't see anything when they break in.

·
JBCUSTOMS
2001 Impreza 2.5RS STM
2,486 Posts
Uhh.. I haven't heard of tear gas but I know of a alarm that fills your car full of fog so they can't see anything when they break in.

perfect! I will just switch the fogg with tear gas!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts