Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 RX-7 TII - 05 2.5rs
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought my first 05 2.5rs. I own an 89 RX-7 TII, 90 RX-7 GXL, and used to own a 93 3000gt so this is my first OBDII car.

- Just wondering if it takes standard or synthetic oil, 5w30? What oil do you recommend?

- Also is the bolt pattern 5x100?

- I have a CEL with the cruise light flashing. I figure it may be an o2 sensor but what would you guys suggest/think?

Thanks

·
Registered
'96 OBS
241 Posts
- I'll leave oil recommendations to someone else. I just put standard in my '96, but that's partially because it likes to drink it
- bolt pattern is 5x100 with a 56,1mm center bore
- I can't guess on the CEL, but either take it to an autoparts store and borrow an OBDII reader for free and pull the code or just get a $10-$20 OBDII to bluetooth adapter and read it from your phone.

·
Banned
2001 Impreza 2.5RS+T 2001 Legacy GT
1,236 Posts
Subaru uses a conventional Chevron 5w30 in the naturally aspirated EJ cars. I run Mobil 1 in mine, before and after boosting.

You have the first year that disables the cruise control when the CEL comes on. You'll have to take it to an autoparts store to have the code(s) read.

·
Registered
BRP 2001 impreza 2.5rs
89 Posts
I like Castrol GTX Superior Sludge protection, and a Purolator oil filter. It's kept my car running well, and usually costs me around $25 for both the oil, and filter.

·
Registered
1998 rs 2.5
11 Posts
oil?

I was wondering the same question. I just had a shop changer oil and filter of a rebuilt engine with 30k miles + on it and they put in synthetic oil or a synthetic blend in it . is still a stock no turbo engine 2.5 will this need the same type of oil in it every change bcause i once was told or read that you cannot switch back after changing to synthetic?

·
Registered
98 impreza rs black 06 wrx swap
711 Posts
I was wondering the same question. I just had a shop changer oil and filter of a rebuilt engine with 30k miles + on it and they put in synthetic oil or a synthetic blend in it . is still a stock no turbo engine 2.5 will this need the same type of oil in it every change bcause i once was told or read that you cannot switch back after changing to synthetic?
You can too switch back.

To the op. I use amsoil 5w30 signature, Have been since I bought the car it's been great. You have a 5x100 pattern. As for the cel Take it to a autozone/advance and have it checked or buy a scanner. Post here what the codes are.

·
Registered
'99 Impreza RS "Black"
55 Posts
I run Mobile 1 or Valvoline high mileage Synt 5W-30 w/ a K&N Oil filter (the filter choice is purely bc my local supplier offers them to me cheaply) but it certainly seems happier on the synth than it did with the conventional that was in it when I bought the car. As for your codes, take them to your local Autozone, advance, O'Reilly, ect. and you can ask about the codes here. Or you can take the route I use and buy a Bluetooth OBDII scanner and have a monitoring app on your phone. This is the combo I use: Panlong Bluetooth OBDII Car Diagnostic Scanner Tourqe Pro

·
Registered
89 RX-7 TII - 05 2.5rs
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found out the previous owner used synthetic blend so I went with that. Also got the code P0031 and as I figured it was an o2 sensor. Also thanks for the info guys it helps a lot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts