Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
anti vw.anti rota.
2000 GF, 2012 Ruckus
6,119 Posts
It's Varis. That's why it costs $1500 lol. They supposedly make super quality shit, but I don't have any direct knowledge...yet.

·
RIP 08.24.2013
01 legacy L
8,015 Posts
IMO that's a badass hood. Carbonfiber and all, shouldn't CF parts be coming down in price as it's easier to work with AND lighter than most materials?

Or is manufacture of the CF mat expensive in and of itself?

Nice find regardless!

·
Registered
99 Forester L, 5 spd
1,306 Posts
IMO that's a badass hood. Carbonfiber and all, shouldn't CF parts be coming down in price as it's easier to work with AND lighter than most materials?

Or is manufacture of the CF mat expensive in and of itself?

Nice find regardless!
Carbon fiber is NOT an easy material to work with, and its weight has nothing to do with the cost of the material. Manufacturing CF is still a very expensive process, but as time goes by it is getting cheaper and cheaper to manufacture.

I know its Wikipedia, but it has a good, reasonably simple description of how carbon fiber, the material itself, is made.
Carbon (fiber) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
2001 Impreza 2.5RS
321 Posts
i just bought 3 yards of carbon fiber with a width of 50" for $50 online. CF is super cheap. the process of laying the CF is the time consuming part, and probably why CF parts are so expensive. not to mention the time it takes to construct a mold to lay the CF in.

·
Registered
2001 Impreza 2.5RS
321 Posts
good question. from a quick google search, i read on an LS1 forum that the only real difference between fiberglass and carbon is that the carbon is more brital than fiberglass. weak points in carbon fiber are actually overlaid with kevlar to add strength. one of the members said that when F1 cars crash, the carbon fiber tubs actually break, and its the kevlar reinforced areas that protect the driver.

i would say that CF is more for looks. as to why its more expensive, maybe its just the amount of demand it has. if everyone in the US didnt buy gasoline for a single day, prices would plummet. in my opinion, its probably the same concept.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.