Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
97 Brighton, 4x4
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate Utah roads. I go through more tires than anyone I have ever known. This morning I get driving and my tire is flat. I pull over and come to find out it's been low on pressure for a while because the sidewall was all worn down. I have NEVER had a set of tires last their entire life. There is always some catastrophic pothole or piece of ice just waiting for me to drive into. Now I would be cool if I was driving some honda and I could just rock a spare for years (which is seen all the time in utah) but once again this is a subaru. Chances are I'm going to have to buy 4 new tires AGAIN! Fuck! Thank god I have a set of winter tires and wheels or I would be super fucked.

Would it be worth it to get one shipped from the tire rack even though the other three have been beaten on there whole life? How do I meassure diameter to get them to shave it?

·
Registered
'99 Hybrid RS Coupe
2,719 Posts
Try driving in and around Boston. Same issues.

I've been considering getting a 5 wheel/tire setup for summer and winter next time I need tires so that I can do a 5 tire rotation and not have to buy 4 new tires if 1 goes flat.

·
Registered
97 Brighton, 4x4
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try driving in and around Boston. Same issues.

I've been considering getting a 5 wheel/tire setup for summer and winter next time I need tires so that I can do a 5 tire rotation and not have to buy 4 new tires if 1 goes flat.
That's a really novel idea. I've never really understood tire rotation though. Do you have to unmount the tires to rotate them properly?

honestly is sounds like somthing is out of wack, how are they wearing?
Honestly, they have been the best tires I have ever owned. They were wearing great. It seem like I must have gotten a slow leak some how and the pressure has been low for a couple days. Now the sidewall is looking pretty bad. I could hardly even tell the were low on pressure though, they were still cornering great.

·
4 please, to go.
Ver 7 STi GC, elderly L
3,623 Posts
I believe it was Skidd or Storm who first mentioned this, but it's worth repeating. If you need a new tire on a subaru you do not have to buy all 4. All you have to do is have the new tire shaved down to the tread depth of the old tires. I believe Tire rack offers this service because it's often used for auto-x/road racing tires.

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,236 Posts
I believe it was Skidd or Storm who first mentioned this, but it's worth repeating. If you need a new tire on a subaru you do not have to buy all 4. All you have to do is have the new tire shaved down to the tread depth of the old tires. I believe Tire rack offers this service because it's often used for auto-x/road racing tires.
Actually, I think it was NWOBS.. I think.

·
Registered
97 Brighton, 4x4
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I found the tires I have in stock at the tire rack. The question is. How should I measure tread deepth? I might just be calling the tire rack here soon.

Still a 150$ tire:jerkit:

·
Registered
2000 2.5 RS Impreza 4 door
3,408 Posts
That's a really novel idea. I've never really understood tire rotation though. Do you have to unmount the tires to rotate them properly?
Rotating tires does not mean rotating the tire on the rim. It means after so many miles taking the front right wheel and tire and putting it on the left rear corner and then vice versa. I think for AWD vehicles you can use an X pattern (as I described) or a rearward cross pattern or something.

·
Registered
97 Brighton, 4x4
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rotating tires does not mean rotating the tire on the rim. It means after so many miles taking the front right wheel and tire and putting it on the left rear corner and then vice versa. I think for AWD vehicles you can use an X pattern or some other one.
Yeah, but in order to do that you have to un-mount them from the wheel. When you swich the from the passenger side to the drivers side the wheel rotation gets switched around.

Also just got of the phone with the tire rack. They will do it. but I have to go into a tire store to see about the tread depth, unless anyone else knows how to measure it good. It's measured in 32's so it's pretty finite.

·
Registered
'99 Hybrid RS Coupe
2,719 Posts
Yeah, but in order to do that you have to un-mount them from the wheel. When you swich the from the passenger side to the drivers side the wheel rotation gets switched around.

Also just got of the phone with the tire rack. They will do it. but I have to go into a tire store to see about the tread depth, unless anyone else knows how to measure it good. It's measured in 32's so it's pretty finite.
You can buy tire tread gauges.

And the only reason you couldn't put the tire on the other side of the car is if you have directional tires. Not all tires are like this.

I'm used to trucks and jeeps where you keep a full size spare for wheeling and just keep a 5 tire rotation. Rotate just like you do now (I do it every other oil change), but you just have a full size spare too that gets rotated in.

·
Registered
'99 Hybrid RS Coupe
2,719 Posts
If you have rotational tires you can always keep a 6 wheel/tire rotation pattern, unless you've got a hookup at a wheel/tire shop to mount/unmount for cheap. :lol:

·
Registered
2017 STi
9,572 Posts
I feel ya man the roads here in Pittsburgh, hell most of PA are shit!

·
Registered
439 Posts
taking off my current bumper/lip this winter, running a stock unpainted L bumper beacuse the frost heaves + potholes get so bad the lip would case the pavement constantly as i drive down the road :(

·
Registered
97 obs
398 Posts
I can concur with Not-wrx. I also live here in the great state of orange cones and barriers. The roads here are horrible, they spend billions of dollars constructing these damn roads and then salt the roads like they are fuckin McDonalds fries.

·
Banned
1999, Legacy L Wagon, Maron
207 Posts
You would need/want to get another Rim to mount the 5th tire on, that way you can just slip the tire/rim into the rotation partern. and you will always have a full sized spare.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts