Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2000, 2.5 RS, BRP
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Maintenance questions and exaust questions!

hey guys, its been a while since ive posted here, ive been busy with work and stuff, but my rs still hasnt been touched or should i say maintaned properly..

anyways first of all i have this HUGE exaust that came with the car, its way to loud and anoying, and sometimes it backfires when i enter 2nd n 3rd gear (once in a while not much), i have 3" piping as far as i know, and i want to get rid of it ASAP...

what would be a nice "upgrade" or fix to my exaust, that wont be extremely loud and will perform well?

also i was looking in my engine the other night and i found this little oil measurement like stick on the back passanger side of the engine with the words "diff" on it, and it seemed to be empty, where can i get the oil or whatever fluid that needs to be placed in there?

I also got a CEL that indicated that my 4th cylinder is misfiring, and my gas indicator is not accurate!
i already purchased new spark plugs, wires and a coilpack, im just waiting on them to arrive to install them.

thanks a lot!

· Registered
2002 2.5RS BRP
2,880 Posts
well, unless you're turbo'd then you better loose that 3" piping. You're actually losing performance with anything bigger than 2.5". And yes, get that Stromung. I have one on my car and it sounds absolutely amazing. As far as loudness, it's quite noticeable, but not obnoxious. Mine's not even that bad with a HFC which makes it quite a bit louder than with a stock cat section.

· Registered
2000, 2.5 RS, BRP
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok well my friend has his old stock exaust from his 01rs (totaled:puppy_dog)

im wondering if there would be any trouble putting that on? im planning on doing it tomorrow night if possible..

this is my current exaust, i have no idea what type it is, all it says is RO and than some japanese letters, and it says racing use only.. hah

anyways any more help on the other topics would be lovely!

this is my current exaust (bazoooooka)

· Registered
246 Posts
Misfires arent always caused by wires spark plugs or coils...theres mechanical(piston valves, ect ect) Fuel injectors, timing issues due to bend fly wheels.
-Spark plugs are a normal maintence iteam and if its due its due.
-quick diagnosis to see if the coil, plug, and wires working....pull out the spark plug and crank the car to see if it makes kewl looking sparks at the spark plug
-coil wires, ohm them out using a volt meter and compare cylinder 1/2/3 to number 4...if there the same the coil wires are probly ok
-compression test of the cylinder will indicate if the problems mechanicle....as before do a relative test and compare it to 1/2/3
-make sure the head gasket isnt blown(simpler then compression test and rules out coolant leaking into cylinder) do a visual around the head and see if the oil is milky chocolate colored
-unless the problem with the coil can be ohmed out, you would have to use a scope
- you can also swap the fuel injectors from cylinder 3 to number 4, and 4 to 3. if you get a Check engine light for cylinder 3 after the swap then its the fuel injector.

ect ect, theres more test that you can do. Pm me if you need further details or other advice....to lazy to write it all down at 2:10am lol

· Registered
2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs
655 Posts
I had a stromung for a while, they're probably too loud for your taste. I did a wrx swap and have a full 3" turboback no cats, no resonators, and the stromung was equally as loud.

If you can pick up a used stock sti or wrx exhaust those will stay pretty quiet when you want them to be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.