Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
White '00('99)RSTi type RA
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this thread is aimed at Subaru parts counter workers, or anyone else that might know what compatable engine this is. IIRC it's a 1994 or 1995 JDM WRX.

it needs a waterpump, but i would do a full timing belt job while i'm in there

the guy has come down from 6500 a long while ago to 2000. found te parts for it in the UK for 409GBP (plus shipping), but i want to find them for cheaper

*** J-Spec 300hp Impreza WRX *** GOIN CHEAP !! | Cars for sale on Ramstein bookoo!
Website closed on sundays

·
Free!
01 RSTI / 03LeggyH6
6,936 Posts
Gates Timing belt kits. They give you everything you need and it's JDM yo! So you know they have kits for your car. Any Gates Dealer should be able to order it for you. they go for $300

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
Gates has nothing to do with JDM lol

OP if you can get us a list of the part #'s, I can compare it to our kit. Unfortunately with their being so many variations on certain parts, it pays to do the research up front vs being surprised down the road. The older and newer cars are not the same, neither are many of the US to Japanese spec items

·
Free!
01 RSTI / 03LeggyH6
6,936 Posts
Really? You sure? Maybe you should look on their box more thoroughly as it states Made in Japan. Gates Unitta Asia is their global arm which supplies most of the parts.

·
Free!
01 RSTI / 03LeggyH6
6,936 Posts
yep, I'm sure

Gates is actually a US corporation - def have a worldwide prescence though. Their bearings and some other hard parts are sourced from Japan however, via Koyo and NTK
Box says made in Japan. Components made in Japan. It's fckin JDM yo!

I'll admit though Gates doesn't seem to have a kit for JDM models on their site yet a search takes me to Mitsuboshi kits (which is Subaru's OE)

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
Yeah tariff laws make packaging crucial otherwise the firms get hit with huge duties when the stuff, be they kits or components, hit these shores. Sometimes you'll see 'product of Japan', or 'assembled in Japan' and all that means is the pieces were literally put in the box in Japan, but originated elsewhere. It's an interesting part of the law, but super complicated, lot's of minutia.

Yep Mitsuboshi is an OE supplier for Subaru, for the timing belt itself - we use their timing belt in our complete timing belt kits. But there are numerous suppliers depending on the component, and some depending on the model. Mitsuboshi is a rubber manufacturing company, so that's where their product range is centered around

We sell the Gates stuff too, so I'm pretty familiar with their stuff

·
Premium Member
2001 A.W. L
13,249 Posts
That's a version 1 not 4 first of all.

I know the 98 dohc stuff works on the V4's but not sure about the 1's sorry. Nasiocs pre-02 section should have all that info.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.