Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some info

To anyone out there. I am trying to learn more about what kind of modifications I can proform to my 98' 2.5L Legacy sedan GT, or should I trade it in for some thing else:confused:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I am try to put togather a plan to beef up my car. I currenty have a weapon r intake and I am thinking about beefing up my exhaust next. There are so many choices out there, I would like to keep the noise level just over stock and want lots of gains. Should I have a new header in the plan? Just trying to get some ideals from people who have done mods. Also I am wondering if most of the subaru engines are the same and if it would be better to do an engine swap or just have mine turbo'd down the road. What's the differance between a RS and my 2.5? Is there a site where I can learn about all of this subaru stuff. I have been doing some reaserch but have not come up with much. Money is a concern right now but I would like to start building little by little. I love the look and feel my legacy GT. Bought it in aug. 02' (Been a truck owner my whole life till now) I have visited the big sites like SPO, Primative Racing and Top subaru sites, just want to know if that's it.
Any advice?:happynow:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks:) So it is possible to do engine swaps with scobies. Hmmmm! Do you think it would be better to do an engine swap then to turbo my current 2.5. I will check out those sites, other advise on exhaust systems:D

·
Registered
98 2.5RS Rally Blue Pearl
396 Posts
Admittedly there are a FEW well thought out and reliable kits out there for our 2.5L engine, but IMO, for ease of maintaince and possible emissions testing the newer oe swaps are less painful.

Exhausts...there are too many on the market to suggest one over another. Have you checked in over in the "Legacy forum" at www.nasioc.com .If those clowns can't lead you in the right direction it's not on the market:checkit:

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
there's lots you can do to the car...
mine had intake, exhaust, full coil over kit, custom interior, exterior, etc etc...

engine swaps are possible... but not reliably for less than $7-8k...

enjoy your car!
i sure miss mine!

Jamie
www.subiegalracing.com

·
Registered
52 Posts
otisfireboy,
I notice your up the road in Longmont. I am the performance guy here at Flatirons in Boulder and happen to have an MRT header back exhaust in stock for your 98 GT and it will give you 15hp. You can check out MRT at www.mrtrally.com . If you want to go Turbo then we need to go another direction. If you need any questions answered for technical or anything else give me a call at work (303) 402-5142.

Jamie,
Not to go too far off but how is the 360 Project coming?
Are you going to make it like this one I found;
http://www.vintagemotorssarasota.com/Car_pages/Subaru/70subaru/70subaru.htm

Troy

·
Registered
13 Posts
The 2.5L engine in the legacy, forester, impreza, and outback are the same per year. but a 2.5L SOHC engine will bolt in to a 98 legacy...these motors are pretty universal among subarus

and about putting a turbo kit on a 2.5L, not a very good idea. The open deck design cant handle much boost, but i think i saw an insert for the cylinder walls made by STi...I think it was over a grand for the set...If you want a turbo your better off using a semi closed deck set up, in other words swap it with a wrx or legacy b4 motor

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
LegacyGT said:
The 2.5L engine in the legacy, forester, impreza, and outback are the same per year. but a 2.5L SOHC engine will bolt in to a 98 legacy...these motors are pretty universal among subarus
IIRC, the MY99 Legacy still had the DOHC ej25. oh, and the ej25 is mostly a North American engine.

and about putting a turbo kit on a 2.5L, not a very good idea. The open deck design cant handle much boost, but i think i saw an insert for the cylinder walls made by STi...I think it was over a grand for the set...If you want a turbo your better off using a semi closed deck set up, in other words swap it with a wrx or legacy b4 motor
its fine for mild boost (~<7psi) which will give you plenty of get up and go thanks to the high compression ratio. a RS running 4-5psi is faster then a stock WRX. obviously the legacy is a bit heavier then the RS but you get the idea. also, a B4 engine, if you could find one, will not fit with the twin turbos on a LHD car unless, of course, you don't need a steering rack ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've read you shouldn't go above 235 hp on the open deck 2.5L. Its not worth it, in my opinion, to buy a turbo kit and wreck my engine......and you could probably get more hp safely by tuning it how it is. Like porting the heads, valve angle and timing.....maybe cheaper too

I'm just saying there are options other than a turbo

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Sweet

Sweet, all of this is great. The exhaust, what first? Should I do the Header or the Rear exhaust first. Thanks for All of the help, starting to form a plan.... I have the weapon intake on it now w/KN. I would like the Borla Header, Stromung rear exhaust. Chip or Pully Next, that's it right now. I hope everyone keeps throwing in thier two cents. Learning alot Here. So what is the differance in the 2.5 RS and My 2.5l? Does the RS have different interal engine components that are stronger:cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey, thinking more, what about the flywheel? Is that a good investment? I am thinking that I will probly have to change the clutch here in the next 6 months. Should probly do both at the same time. Is there a cluch that I can get great proformance out of and not have it grab real hard? Lightweight fly wheel? Any sugestions.

Otisfireboy
It will burn someday?!

·
Registered
396 Posts
-Exedy clutch and chromoly flywheel combo.

-ClutchMasters stage 1 or 3 with either the Jun or Exedy chromoly flywheel

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was looking into getting a lightened pulley for my legacy, but some of the other techs that I work with told me the crank pulley is also the harmonic balancer. Without the weight of that pulley you eventually wear out your crank shaft bearings.

Stromung has a full cat back for legacys now....finally

here is the best place on the internet to buy parts for your legacy

http://home.att.net/~teaguesauto/

heres another one that has some good stuff

www.spomotorsports.com

·
Registered
396 Posts
I won't comment on LegacyGT statement since I disagree with it:flame:
But what ever you decide DO NOT - NEVER install both a lightened pulley AND a lightened flywheel on a Subaru engine.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
i've never been too fond of the lightened pulley trend...
search on it...
doesnt really do that much for the car...
other than make lights/equipment dim at idle....

really... i've read more headache stories
than i have praises.

i've decided to avoid that mod...

cheers
Jamie www.subiegalracing.com

·
Registered
1995 AWD Brilliant Red Subaru
723 Posts
The reason u don't put a lightened flywheel and crank pulley is that since the subaru engine is a flat4, unlike the inline 4's found in honda's and etc, doesn't have any internal balancers. The heavier crank pulley and flywheel dampen the vibrations(which are n't a whole lot, being that the engines are horizontally opposed) but when both are lightened, engine vibration occurs, and will reduce the life of the engine. PLus, it will rev much too fast or not have enough roational mass to be a sufficant street car...or something like that. SOmeone who knows exactly what they r talking about, please correct me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts