Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have been a lurker for years and haven't reached out to the community much, due to the search button. But this time I'm stuck and lost.

Someone tried to steal my car last night and my steering column was broken/twisted/etc. I wanted to see what MY would be compatible with my car and what would be the best solution as I also have to replace the door and trunk locks also. I might be able to get my hands on a 1996 parts car and I drive a 2001 RS sedan. Could someone point me to a service manual and parts diagram pdf?

Thanks in advance,
Jack

p.s. grammar isn't my priority as this moment.

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
Bro! Why the hell would they, and HOW can they twist your steering column? It's damn near solid metal.

Bro. Props on the usage of the search button. Because you use it, and use it often, I shall answer your questions as best I can. Obviously you've done your research, as there is nearly zero information on this because it's... well.. probably never been asked before.

Bro. 98-01 will be a direct swap for you. There's tons of them out there... as a matter of fact, I've thrown out about a dozen of them myself.

Bro, I'll ask around for you bro, to see if any of my bros have a column for my other bro, you, bro, aight bro?

Changing the locks... it can be done, but it's a little tedious. I'd say buy a brotastic alarm system for your whip bro.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,168 Posts
i have an RS steering wheel, blinkers/etc and pinion that would be a direct swap out for you.

check my thread in my sig for pics.

Also any GC RS wheel/stalk/pinon will fit and i think other models will too, although the steering wheels may be different

·
Registered
12,196 Posts
Changing the column isn't really too hard either. Remove the steering joint under the hood by the firewall via 2 12mm bolts. There's a large rubber grommet in the firewall which will come out. There two two very long 12mm bolts holding it to the dash beam. You'll have to unclip all the wiring harnesses that are attached, and remove all the plastic surround pieces too. It's pretty straight forward, just be careful with the airbag shit. Remember to remove the battery and pump the brakes several times before attempting to unclip the airbag connector (YELLOW AND GREEN). Otherwise you'll get a nice surprise in yo face!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks bros! I got the column out already.

I usually do all the wrenching on mainly suspension and random stuff, but having the assurance from more experienced folks is priceless.

Any suggestions on further protection? It was broken to once before and I decided to do my own alarm. Good thing my immobilizer and alarm worked well so that the car wasn't able to leave the stall. Now I feel more vulnerable... What else would you all suggest now that I have everything apart?

Bro.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.