Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
You can't see me!
bon 12
4,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically I want to slam my car. I have no interest in hearing that it ruins performance and all that jazz because I do not track my car and am going for asthetics here.

I am looking to get a coilover set up that allows you to drop your car to the ground while allowing you to adjust stiffness. I have rolled fenders in the rears and removed some of my lining up front from the perrin spring days. I want a rebuildable set up.

Friends of the vw community have suggested B&G because you can drop them without changing travel if you so choose. Meagans are not rebuildable but BC's are. I figure that if I have them uber low I will need to rebuild them more frequently than if they were set up for optimal performance. Price is an issue but I'd rather slam it right (oxymoron?) than do it wrong so give me your suggestions we shall go from there.

Suggestions for coils? No, I do not want ground control sleves and am not looking for springs. Currently run agx's with p1 springs running 4 up front and 6 in the rear

·
Registered
2000 subaru impreza 2.5RS SRP
447 Posts
BC racing have been good to me. i have another 3 inches i could drop mine and im pretty sure it would scrape. they arent extremely expensive and even though you dont track your car they are still good coilovers.

·
You can't see me!
bon 12
4,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are on my list. Any prefered vendors or websites that sell them?

Anyone have any feedback on BC or megans when they are dropped to the floor? What is the rebuild price, how long does it take, how long do they last under non slammed conditions?

I would love to hear some more information about the BC's as well as other coilover set ups. Keep them coming!

·
Registered
stm99,flatblack99,07sti,blk98
566 Posts
bc i heard was 95 rebuild.. per coilover.. there rebuild is they give you a whole new one..plus 1 for new coilover. importimage.great guys over there

·
You can't see me!
bon 12
4,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone have any suggestions for dual ride height adjust? I was looking at tein flex but they are on the higher side of what I would like to spend. I am pretty sure I want to get dual ride height adjust though

·
Banned
4,588 Posts
I have cusco's but I may end up selling them. I want to go all out and get some Silk Road coilovers.

·
You can't see me!
bon 12
4,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just saw some k-sports (sport Kontrol Pro) for like 1450. I am going to have to look into these - anyone got em?

Silk Road? How did you like the cusco's?

·
Banned
4,588 Posts
I haven't installed the cusco's. I have a friend that has silk roads on his S14 and i fell in love with them. I think i'll get rid of my cusco's and get some GC8 Silk Roads. They are hella expensive but worth it.

·
You can't see me!
bon 12
4,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Anyone got info on running k-sports?

SPRING RATES:

Front-7.5/420

Rear-4.5/252

Ksport Kontrol Pro Fully Adjustable Coilover Kits provide the ultimate in suspension technology featuring its 36-way adjustable dampening, adjustable spring perch, adjustable body and pillow-ball mounts. The Ksport Kontrol Pro Coilover kit has been designed with professional road racing in mind offering extremely high value and performance.

Ksport Kontrol Pro Coilovers Feature:

- 36-way adjustable dampening
- Made from high quality 6061 Aluminum with T6 for increased hardness
- Compression/Rebound adjustable
- Adjustable spring perch for height adjustment
- Adjustable body allowing maximum suspension travel
- Pillow Ball Top Mount w/ adjustable camber (not available for some models)
- Monotube High Pressure Design reduces oil leakage
- Electroplated body for protection from corrosion and rust
- One Year Limited Warranty
Independent ride height adjust. Sweet. Are they rebuildable? How do they ride? What sort of spring rate does that translate to?

Also, have you guys ever purchased anything from this website? http://www.erzperformance.com/product_p/ksportkontrol-257.htm

·
Premium Member
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
Hmm, what was that one coilover from a few years ago, Tein I think. They were green. They had a model that was good for slamming.

·
The Dash Flocker!
00 GF, 04 Jetta TDi
3,791 Posts
Anyone got info on running k-sports?

Independent ride height adjust. Sweet. Are they rebuildable? How do they ride? What sort of spring rate does that translate to?

Also, have you guys ever purchased anything from this website? http://www.erzperformance.com/product_p/ksportkontrol-257.htm
I did a full review of the K-Sport gravel and tarmac rally coilovers awhile back. The spring rates listed in your post are: front= 7.5kg/mm or 420lbs./in and Rear= 4.5kg/mm or 262 lbs./in
Those are very stiff for a street driven car, however you will need to live with stiff rates so your car doesn't bottom out at every bump in the road, if your goal is to slam the car down.

I had my gravel coilovers rebuilt once, but it was at no cost. Turnaround time was about 3 weeks, so be prepared to have a spare set of struts to roll wih while you send them back. Unfortunately my K-Sports were stolen last fall.

I think by dual height adjustment you mean independant ride height and spring pre-load adjustments? The K-Sports have a threaded lower mount so you can adjust the ride height independantly of changing the spring pre-load (moving the threaded spring perch). If you want to really slam your car this is the only way you will be able to live with it.

You can find the K-Sports much cheaper than previously posted, the lower version can be had for less than $1k. Call up Hikaru at JLBMotorsports.com and tell him rally-fast sent you over there. I'll try to dig up his number....

·
You can't see me!
bon 12
4,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My roomate drives a slammed mkIII jetta - he has the independent height adjust. It is nice to be able to drop your car without affecting your travel. This is only true to a certain extent though because I will have to stiffen these bad boys up a lot in order to ride around and not rub, lol.

JLB has the $1450 price vs. $1015. So far I have yet to find anywhere cheaper but I'd be willing to talk to him.

·
Registered
'99 Hybrid RS Coupe
2,719 Posts
I'm on Megan racing coilovers. Pretty good for the price. Go low or suck!

I've raised it up some since this picture was taken, though.

·
Registered
2000 BRP Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
470 Posts
i dont think you need to worry about stiffness adjustability if you want to slam it. unless you want to pay a truckload, your going to get a nice set of coil-overs, slam them to the ground and ruin any adjustability they had for stiffness because theres no more travel.

just get airbags

1 - 14 of 14 Posts