Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
07 Civic SI / 97 Miata M
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of bushing options does a 1995 Subaru have to getting the steering more precise?

Also, what else can be changed out to help with the slack I am dealing with in my 155K mile Subaru?

If any products are listed can I get links please. Being new to the Subaru world I do not know much about vendors etc... Thanks :burnout:

·
Registered
Evo X GSR, 07 Civic Si
679 Posts
i have a 2000 RS and the stock steering feel is, i'm sorry to say, absolute dogshit.

i put the whiteline (IIRC that's the brand) steering bushings on the 2nd night i had my car, before i even had the engine swap done. some people swear by these bushings but i honestly did not feel much difference except on the highway the steering feel is slightly firmer.

that said the steering ratio and the amount of off-center play the steering wheel has are still absolutely horrible. if your rack is on its way out i'd recommend getting a quicker ratio wrx/sti steering rack. that is what i'm doing :)

·
Premium Member
01 rs coupe. BRP
1,558 Posts
I agree the bushings only really seem to help if yours are in bad shape but they dont do much for the off center numbness.

·
(860)
2001 2.5RSTi Coupe
1,095 Posts
What kind of bushing options does a 1995 Subaru have to getting the steering more precise?

Also, what else can be changed out to help with the slack I am dealing with in my 155K mile Subaru?

If any products are listed can I get links please. Being new to the Subaru world I do not know much about vendors etc... Thanks :burnout:

its probably more your suspension causing this issue bro, ever think about upgrading to a better strut/spring combo? or maybe even coilovers

well....actually, coilovers might be a little too harsh, (i love and hate mine because of how firm it is) so you might be better off going with just better struts/springs

this will also help with anything you might not understand
http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64709

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Sorry to say, but if your Impreza has vague on-center feel and sloppiness, your rack is done. Even with stock bushings, the Impreza has very tight on-center feel. Putting poly bushings on a bad rack will not improve anything.

If you don't like the feel and you know the rack is good, go smaller on the steering wheel diameter. I will never give up my 300mm wheel. I could care less about the airbag not being there.

·
Registered
'99 Hybrid RS Coupe
2,719 Posts
Sorry to say, but if your Impreza has vague on-center feel and sloppiness, your rack is done. Even with stock bushings, the Impreza has very tight on-center feel. Putting poly bushings on a bad rack will not improve anything.

If you don't like the feel and you know the rack is good, go smaller on the steering wheel diameter. I will never give up my 300mm wheel. I could care less about the airbag not being there.
What is the OEM steering wheel size? Like 360mm or so?

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
I dunno....it feels like a damn Kenworth compared to what I have in now.....

·
Registered
07 Civic SI / 97 Miata M
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think my power steering is dying on me... At really low speeds turning it my wheels shutters... Oh more maintenance yay.

Anyhow, I will look into the options you guys gave me. Thanks again!

-Mike

·
Registered
Evo X GSR, 07 Civic Si
679 Posts

yeah my steering never felt really firm ever since i got the car, lots of slop. been hunting for an 04 STi rack to upgrade to :) damn i can't wait to fall in love with my car all over again...steering feel is such a crucial part to a car for me <3

·
General pain in the ass
98 Superu Impreza 2.5 rs...
3,978 Posts
a have a fwd steering rack for sale, only 70k miles.

·
Registered
2000 2.5 RS Impreza 4 door
3,408 Posts
In case anyone is looking for steering rack bushings this is the cheapest price I could find them for... $16.78 and shipping is around $8-9 IIRC.

http://store.scoobymods.com/steering-rack-bushings-30mm-superpro-p-1262.html

Personally I felt just a little difference with the bushings. I still want to get a quicker steering rack but not too quick, maybe like the ratios in Evos. Quick steering racks are ridiculously expensive too. :(

·
Registered
2000 WRX STI Type-RA Limited
687 Posts
I think my power steering is dying on me... At really low speeds turning it my wheels shutters... Oh more maintenance yay.

Anyhow, I will look into the options you guys gave me. Thanks again!

-Mike
You need to bleed your power steering fluid. It will fix the shudder you speak of.

·
Registered
07 Civic SI / 97 Miata M
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You need to bleed your power steering fluid. It will fix the shudder you speak of.
Dude! I will try that, because mine is gross. Any suggestions on new fluid.

If this works I will give you a round of :clap:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts