Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y’all. I never posted because I usually find the answer deep within threads but I’m finally stumped and because it’s NA, coming from only turbo cars, I can’t just easily check the logs so I’m hoping for the gurus to chime in.

The car is relatively stock. Only has Tsudo headers and full exhaust.

Backstory is, car was laid up for a few months untouched. Recently did a maintenance job, new everything. Filters everywhere, oil, fuel cleaner, spark plugs, cables, coil pack, brake pads and tires.

Drove it for a bit and have no CEL and monitors all pass. Got a NYS inspection done shortly after.

Now for the issue and confusion at hand. Finally took the car on the back roads and felt amazing from point A to B. Took the car back to point A and at corner exists coming close to redline, the car bogs for a second and recovers fine. Happened only twice. The first I was confused and the second was to confirm and didn’t try a third because not cool

Fuel cut maybe? I had a half tank of gas. Thoughts?

Pic for fun of the car
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

·
Registered
98RS, 98RS, 99RS
708 Posts
The fuel tank also sloshes to one side when you're at wide open throttle on a corner exit. Technically speaking it's one of the worst things you can do to a subaeu (especially a turbo one) as I personally know a dozen guys who spun bearings due to oil starvation while spiritedly tossing the car into a corner.
I personally tend to go slower into a corner and fast out once the suspension has settled into the apex. But you better believe I used to beat the crap out of my cars the same way as you on turn exits and never had a problem other than fuel cut. A decade of being on here and listening to blown motor sob stories slowly convinced me to take more care of the EJ when in a turn.

The best way Ive read to fix the problem is to either install baffles in the fuel tank or upgrade to a STi tank which has baffles from the factory.

The issue could also he ANYTHING in the fiel delivery system, partially clogged line or fuel filter, FPR, etc. It'll be fine during normal driving but that 1% of the time you need the fuel it's unable to keep up in the line. My first guess would just be your typical fuel tank slosh.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP Coupe
1,780 Posts
Basically just echoing the above comments, the factory fuel tank sump is a known issue. Only way to really combat it is with having a more full tank (almost 3/4 though) or start looking at tank swamps or better aftermarket fuel sumps. I know someone made a DIY on here (or somewhere online? Maybe iSpeed?) where they used an old RC airplane tank and a foam sock of sorts to keep fuel on the sump, but that's really not the end all be all solution.

If I find link Ill share.

·
Registered
'01 2.5RS STM Sedan
148 Posts
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

As others mentioned, there are baffling differences in the tanks. The stock 93-01 fuel tanks have poor baffling. Upgrading to a turbo fuel tank (WRX, STI, FXT, they are all identical fuel tanks) from a 02+ car is a worthy upgrade to mitigate this.
Automotive tire Electrical wiring Gas Cable Wire

One thing unique however to the STI was the inclusion of a box for the pickup tube, which also acted as a secondary baffle. This can also help improve any issues regarding fuel starvation.

·
Registered
00 BRP RS Coupe
879 Posts
Our gas tanks look like this:

When you're at 1/4 tank or lower and take a hard enough right hander, the fuel sloshes over to the other side temporarily starving the pump.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wanna give a big Thank you to everyone that responded. You guys are the reason I still believe in this community and forums. No bs, all help, educational, and solutions. You guys are awesome.

For now, I will keep a full tank, maybe swap the pump out to a wrx one and a new sock since I have it laying around and source a baffle tank.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP Coupe
1,780 Posts
Check out these threads. There are a couple of DIY. I don't know anything about the ebay kit. The image looks like an actually $$$ setup and not likely what you are getting

Sadly it looks like Photobucket got the DIY that Shane did way back. I shared the link below anyway if you want to try it. The link above has a photo of the final product of the link below.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts