Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok.....i think i need soem advice here.....this guy im dealing with is my friend and he is telling me that i should go wit 18's rims and rubber and i am supposed to do a 2 inch drop in the front and 1.7 in the back.......is this a bad investment or is it ok as long as i change the shocks every so often.....he says itll look sweet and all but he also says not too worry but maybe i am a litle

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
1 - that's way too low...
you will destroy the ride of the car..

2 - same w/the 18's.. 17's are bad enough
but the car was engineered for 16" wheels.
i am not sure if people just dont understand this?
you will destroy the drivability of the car.
unless you just wanted to sit around and look at it?
or creep and crawl over every little bump/pothole/nick in the road?

you lower it that much... forget DRIVING it.
Jamie
www.subiegalracing.com
www.subiegal.com

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have to agree with Jamie on the 1st point, we get lowered Scoobys in alot at the dealer and for the street and most track setups 2 inches is too low and simply will not work with the factory strut because the travel is below the working range of the strut.
A drop of 1-1.5 seems to be more towards the ideal for all around streetablity, performance, and depending on several other factors, comfort as well.
I have an Impreza w/ 18 inch P1s and Yoko Paradas as well as several friends with 18s on their Subarus but with a wheel that big they are definitely a Summer wheel. However, on most of them the ride is much more stable not harsh and many potholes you can kill any tire/wheel but with a larger wheel you just stay more focused, little more cautious and drive a little slower unless of course you are Mr(s) Prodrive or Mr(s) Volk.
(Note to self... takeover WRC Team and become Mr. Prodrive) ;)

The vast majority of all high performance production Subarus have a 17 inch wheel. Just my .02

Troy

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Lower it only about 1 inch. Put 17" wheels with the proper Subaru offset +52-+53. 215-45-ZR17 tires. ZR tires for better summer traction. If you live with lots of snow and ice. Get a set of beater wheels for winter with a suitable winter tire of choice. The USDM RS came with 15-16 inch wheels. In Japan and other contries that had the joy of having the STi had 16-17 inch wheels. Even the all mighty P1 had 17 wheels from OZ. I even have 17 inch wheels.

If you go that low on your springs and that low on the profile of the tires, you will indeed have a harsh ride. Not to mention, you may rub. There are not too many wheel choices with an 18" wheel. They tend to run wider tires on 18" wheels too. With the new body style RS and WRX the 18" wheels seem to fit way better than the old style. I hope you make the right choice.

Paul...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts