Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Outback Sport [EJ22]
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 OBS that currently has a stock EJ22 and stock transmission. I am looking to replace the transmission because the clutch is on its way out and my first and second gears grind if not perfectly rev matched. I am not sure what the gear ratios are for the transmission and rear diff. (If anyone can point me in the right direction to find these specs, would be appreciated.)
Can anyone offer me recommendations for a new transmission? I would like something that bolts up to a EJ25 from a (99 Forester?) because I have one sitting around and possibly an EJ20 further down the line. I also know that you need to match the rear diff with whatever transmission you get so you don't break anything. Hopefully someone can offer me some insights.
/Thanks

·
Registered
none yet
7 Posts
this is more of a search forum than asking a question and waiting for answer. i joined around the same time as you did. there is not much traffic on this forum it seems. NASIOC seems to have more life. anyway, get a donor car and use trans and dif from the same car. up to 04 ratios are pretty close.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You should be able to find some gear ratio charts online like this one:

A very handy reference on these things is Subaru though. According to this:
Yours is a 3.9 ratio. If you click on the what this fits tab it will tell you all the other models/years/trims with that ring and pinion. Any of those should have the right final drive ratio. Just make sure you get one with a vehicle speed sensor, they stopped using them in about 2009 (depends on model). Also make sure you get the same style clutch fork (push hydraulic on yours probably). Can look up ratios for various different transmissions if you want different 1st-5th ratios.
Also in about 2000 they went to clip in axles rather than roll pin axles so you'd have to put in axle stubs (from an auto should work) and different seals. The easiest solution there is just to make sure you get one with axle stubs poking out with the roll pin holes.

And yes, NASIOC, USMB, or Facebook will probably get you better info than this forum for your car. There is a specific second gen Legacy group on FB.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts