Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
95 GC 371hp/355tq ej25 1.5xtr
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought my rs with summer tires and winter is coming up so i need a good winter/all season. i think im just going to get a high performance all season. what you guys think of Toyo Proxes 4? i can get them for $98 per tire, thats why i am leading towards them. $455 mounted/balanced

· Premium Baller
94 WRX, '11 R6 race bike
6,133 Posts
i got a set of the Continental ContiExtreme Contacts. they are actually a bit cheaper and they do really well all around, snow, dry, rain, whatever. basically a really good all season tire. I haven't myself tried them in the snow, but before i bought them i asked around and a few people said they handle very well in those conditions as well

you can get a set of 225/50/16 (which i have now) for 89$ per tire

· Registered
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i got a set of the Continental ContiExtreme Contacts. they are actually a bit cheaper and they do really well all around, snow, dry, rain, whatever. basically a really good all season tire. I haven't myself tried them in the snow, but before i bought them i asked around and a few people said they handle very well in those conditions as well

you can get a set of 225/50/16 (which i have now) for 89$ per tire
how many miles do you have on them now?

· Registered
2001 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
2,000 Posts
I have proxes 4 on my car now and while I do like how they are in the dry and rain, they don't do well in the snow. You might be able to get started without too much slippage but they don't stop very well. If you're only going to have one set of tires year round you should really think about what kind of driving you are going to be doing and then gauge the best tire choice from that. The only reason I throw that in there is because I would suggest the goodyear triple-tread because it's going to be your best bet for winter and summer daily driving. If you plan on doing any track events however you'd want something with a stiffer sidewall.

· Registered
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i might need summer tires in a few years so i figured this. i would get an all season on steelies and use that for winter. and use my summer ones for.... summer..lol. and when i need new tires i would but the all seaons on if i dont have the money right away to get new summer tires

· Registered
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks alot guys. im going to get the continentals. now i need to find some steelies!!!

15" wont fit over wrx brakes in the front right? i am like 98% sure they wont but i figured i would ask anyway

· \m/(-_-)\m/
03 350z for now
683 Posts
Hard to get good snow performance out of an all season. Potenza G009 or Avon M550 a/s would be my recommendations for occasional snow.
It's weird how that only that one model from Continental is rated so highly and the rest of the tires they make are junk.

· Registered
2000 Subaru 2.5RS Silverthorne
260 Posts
I had the Proxes4 tires in 225/50/16 on the stockers. Good dry and rain. Honestly I didnt think they were that bad in the snow, they got me everywhere I needed to be and better than anyone else on the road.

· Premium Baller
94 WRX, '11 R6 race bike
6,133 Posts
how many miles do you have on them now?
about 3k right now, i got the tires right before i started to swap my car, so they haven't been used in about 8 months.

lol i even tried autoxing once with them. they were good, up to a point. I actually ended up beating a handfull of wrx's and even some evo's (i guess inexperienced : / ) time wise, but i wouldnt recommend these for performance rubber. but in the rain, they are awesome

· Registered
178 Posts
i've had proxies 4 before and loved them for summer tires, stupid to use as a winter tire. but if your gonna have serious snow don't get an all season tire just get a legit winter tire. if you have a summer tire already why do you care how well your winter tire performs in the dry? get like a 205 or even skinnier winter tire (skinier tires get through snow better). trust me you be thanking me when your caught in a storm trying to get up a mountain pass.

· Registered
2017 STi
14,451 Posts
Alright fellas. I failed my inspection due to having very bald tires (which I knew was going to happen). I did some research on what tires to get and I need your input on this. I have the stock rims on so I am ging to go for 205/55-16, unless yinz recommend another size. I am from Pittsburgh and was looking for a good all season tire that performs decently well in the winter. The major thing is I am not looking to not put too much of a hole in my pocket. These are the four that I am leaning towards, in order. I know all of you are going to tell me to get the bridgestone's but I am looking to not spend that much on some tires, I simply don't have the money after having to get my HG fixed. Enough rambling, here's the list.

1) Falken Sincera SN-828 =$70 a tire - read a couple reviews from subie owners who had nothing but good things to say
2) Kuhmo Ecsta ASX $74 a tire - heard they are very loud on the road, bunch of mixed reviews
3) Continental ContiExtreme contact $87 a tire
4) (would love to get these) Bridgestone Potenza RE960A5 $118 a tire

Anyone know if I could get these cheaper anywhere (the bridgestones)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.