Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Dirty Whore
Joined
·
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Im currently running this set up

Motor
EJ22T Shortblock (2.2 closed deck block)
Wiseco Piston (8.5:1 compression, according to Wedge's calculator)
2.5 stock SOHC running Cobb vavle springs and Cobb street racer cams
Ludespeed stage III turbo kit...(T3-T4 turbo with the big topmount intercooler)
XS Manual boost controller (plan on going back to electric boost controller)
LinkPlus Engine management
MY99 intake manifold
WRX stock injectors uncapped flowing 860 (had them cleaned and flowtested)
GMC cyclone MAP sensor
Magnecore ignition wires
ACT lightweight flywheel
Spec Stage III clutch
RA Gears in the tranny

Right now the car is pretty quick once at fully boost which is like at 5-6k. Super laggy. Im leaning towards the Garrett GT2871R which according to ATPTurbo.com is quoted for a good 400HP which is plenty for me. From experience in riding in Wedge's car from when he had the bigger GT30 Which was very fast once at full boost, to his now smaller GT30 which is also just as fast but quicker spoilling which made 340HP/360Trq @ 21lbs... Me and Wedge have a very similar set up motor wise except for turbo and front mount. I autox the car so im looking for quick responding turbo.

What do you all think?
 

·
Registered
95 GF8, 98 SF5
Joined
·
340 Posts
I Hate to say this, but i think its your turbo. The T3/T4 turbos are a old design, yes they do work and make power. But they are slow to spool.
I think that a gt2871 or GT30 both would be a good choice. Just make sure you get a FMIC before you run any other turbo.
 

·
Registered
Dirty Whore
Joined
·
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
snowman4us said:
I Hate to say this, but i think its your turbo. The T3/T4 turbos are a old design, yes they do work and make power. But they are slow to spool.
I think that a gt2871 or GT30 both would be a good choice. Just make sure you get a FMIC before you run any other turbo.
Yes, i know its laggy, which is why im leaning towards upgrading, Im looking at the GT2871R or GT2876R or GT3076R( Wedge's turbo) but rather go a diffrent route.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
not a turbo question but

Did you change out your rods as well as pistons? or are you still on the stock 22t rods?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
Really? so your putting down 300-350 estimate on stock rods? That’s awesome I was going to change out my rods for eagle but now I am not so sure.
 

·
Registered
Dirty Whore
Joined
·
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
amorton said:
Really? so your putting down 300-350 estimate on stock rods? That’s awesome I was going to change out my rods for eagle but now I am not so sure.
Well...im not making that power. Not yet but Wedge is.
 

·
Super Moderator
2000 Slingshot RS-T
Joined
·
3,211 Posts
amorton said:
Really? so your putting down 300-350 estimate on stock rods? That’s awesome I was going to change out my rods for eagle but now I am not so sure.
Stock rods are fine. I put down 360tq, not estimate, to the wheels on stock rods. No problems at all.
 

·
Registered
1998 Forester on Orange 57F
Joined
·
4,129 Posts
amorton said:
not a turbo question but

Did you change out your rods as well as pistons? or are you still on the stock 22t rods?
Stock rods are good over 500Whp. The only difference is Eagles will bend while stock rods will break.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top