Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1999 2.5 rs coupe silver
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone tell me where the knock sensor is on a 99 rs? also... people that experienced the CEL problem after putting the headers in... the timing is all screwed up on it and it seems like i got 90 hp. i was told not to buy another knock sensor bc the header would do the same thing and cause vibrations to throw the timing off....

if anyone has moved the knock sensor... where the hell can i put it where it wont mess anything up?
so just let me know where it is and where i can move it... thanks.

·
Registered
00 OBS Silverthorn Metallic
4,184 Posts
Ok, let me get this straight. You installed aftermarket headers. You then got a CEL for a knock sensor code. Now your car feels like it has 90hp. People are telling you to not buy another knock sensor because it's not bad and it's the headers causing the problem. You want to relocate your knock sensor.

Aftermarket headers do not cause knock sensor codes. Simple as that. They may throw A/F sensor codes, Catalytic converter codes, or rear O2 sensor codes. But no knock sensor codes. The people that told you about the headers causing vibrations...yada yada yada are wrong.

It's just a coincidence that your knock sensor went the same time your headers got installed. There is absolutely no relation.

Replace your knock sensor. It's dead. Basically a dead sensor throws your ECM into limp in mode which is making your car feel like it has 90hp. Right now, your ECM doesn't care about best performance or best fuel mileage. It's only concern is holding the engine together in one piece til you get it fixed. So it has timing/fuel/etc all messed up.

Replace the knock sensor and clear the ECM. Done deal. I've never heard of relocating the knock sensor after installing headers. That's just insane.

·
Registered
00 OBS Silverthorn Metallic
4,184 Posts
BTW, the knock sensor is located on the top of the engine block under the intake manifold. Look straight down on the block right behind the intake manifold on the right hand (drivers side) of the engine. It's a little round sensor with a bolt going through it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts