Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Need help with speaker installation on a 99Rs

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Warp3 
#1 ·
Its kind of driving me nuts because i'm looking at picking up a set of Infinity Kappa speakers for the front doors and rear deck, making 4 total. I know that the rear speakers are 6.5" but theres a question of bolt pattern, because the infinitys are 4 bolt and it looks like the stock subie speakers have 3 bolt pattern mount only.

Also the front speaker size is turning into a debate that is driving me crazy, i've done multiple searchs on the board and no one seems to be able to give a straightforward answer.

I've originally heard:
1) front speakers for the MY99 RS are 5.25" and for the 00-01 are 6.25" stock
2) some ppl put 6.5" speakers in the front of 99-01 but the depth usually requires spacers
3) even the 00-01 put 5.25" speakers in the front because the the increased depth of larger speakers won't give them enough clearance to roll the windows down all the way.
4) the WRX owners say they have 5.25" front speakers in the doors stock

Furthermore every site i've looked up for factory speaker sizes just list '6.5" front door speaker size for all imprezas from 93-01

Also the stock door speakers appear to have a 3 bolt pattern, but is this only for the 6.5" speakers or 5.25" speakers as well? A local car audio shop says that if the factory speakers are indeed 5.25" then they should be a 4 bolt pattern because 99% of that size uses 4 bolts, and only the 6.5" use 3 bolt pattern

Sorry for the endless questions and rantings.

Ed

See less See more
#3 ·
My 99 2.5RS has 6.5" Kappa 3-way speakers at all four stock locations. The only change I made to the fronts was removing the rubber surround from the magnets so the windows would roll down all the way (they are just a little too deep otherwise). I have the previous gen Kappas (the green ones) but the new ones (the silver ones) have a shallower mounting depth so theoretically they should fit even better.

BTW, the stock speakers in the 99 2.5RS are 6.5" all around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.