Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'01 RS 2.5 Silverthorne
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1st:
I have the nuts from 5 of the 6 manifold studs off, they were all relatively easy and even looked like new-ish gold colored nuts on the rusted crudded up studs. The 6th one is in the same condition as the stud, no amount of pb blaster can free it and now i've rounded the corners completely.

2nd:
I got one of the cat bolts off, and the other (the one on top that's hard to get to) wouldn't budge and i rounded the corners on that too. :bonk:

3rd:
Since it didn't seem like I was getting anywhere I tried to take off the whole cat section (since I'm putting on a cat-back as well, it had to come off anyway). Big surprise - I got one bolt off and the other is on so damn tight I nearly had an aneurism but at least I stopped before I rounded the corners! :letitout:

So: As I'm fresh out of ideas, please put your heads together and help me think of a way to get this done. I've read all the threads on this and I know some people have broken studs - What did you do to fix it? I haven't broken any yet but I may have to cut one.
Also, am I right to assume that the stud is just threaded into the manifold? My headers came with bolts but I don't see anywhere to access the top where I could drop the bolt in so I don't think I can use them - am I wrong? Could I thread the bolts that came with the headers into the factory hole for the stud if I could get the stud out?

·
2001 A.W. L
13,249 Posts
ok

They are studs so there is no head :)

Since you are replacing the headers and catback you can just take the entire exhaust off while it is together. Get some WD-40 or silicone spray and spray the hangers to make it easier to come off. Unplug the 2 O2 sensors and there is a bolt that you need to get off that attaches to the cat.

As for the rounded nuts you need a set of bolt removers, see my post here
http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47578&highlight=bolt+extractor

If the studs look like crap too pick up some replacements at you local dealer, I would stray away from using bolts because you want the whole stud in there before you torque the nut down or you may strip the threads in the heads.

·
Registered
'01 RS 2.5 Silverthorne
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ha! I'm looking at that saying to myself that sounds familiar - so I checked and I'm the last one who replied to that thread!

So no go on the bolts huh? that's too bad, but nothing is ever easy i guess - but basically what you're saying is that as long as I can figure out a way to get that one last manifold nut off, I can take the whole exhaust off as one piece and work on it off the car? That was gonna be my last resort but it's looking better by the second

thanks for the help

-Rich

·
2001 A.W. L
13,249 Posts
Yeah they are a good thing to have, actually thinking about it my dad has mine, better get them back!

Yeah you can slide the whole thing out in one piece, if you have someone to help you cuz it will have some weight. Then you assemble it out, I just dont put on those spring bolts until it is on the car. It just makes it a little easier.

Thought of another thing, while it is out check the heatshields for rattling because with this new exhaust a little rattle will be much more noticable.

good luck

-Josh

·
Registered
'01 RS 2.5 Silverthorne
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stupid UPS driver was too lazy to do his fucking job and now I won't get my cat-back until tuesday the earliest! This package has been delayed once, rescheduled once, and now it was not delivered even though tracking said out for delivery since 7:30 this morning! The operator was no help, wouldn't call the driver, couldn't tell me anything I didn't already know about my package. So I won't be doing the install for another WEEK!
NOT the first time I have been let down by UPS, if I can help it I will NOT be using them in the future for ANYTHING

1 - 5 of 5 Posts